keithco88

Are all gun safes pretty much the same?

Couldn't find a good sub-forum to post this, and also couldn't find an existing post, so point me to it if there is one.

Anyway, I'm looking for a gun safe in the 10-14 gun size range (I only have 3 right now...but as you've all said, the collection grows). My main constraint, besides not wanting to spend a fortune, is that it needs to be under 33" in width to fit in the only place I have to put a safe in my house. This is primarily to keep the guns away from kids and to a lesser extent anybody who makes it into my house looking for stuff. I'm pretty set on a non-electric based locking mechanism. I'd love mechanical but that doesn't really seem feasible so I'll get a combination or a key/combo dual.

There's a zillion companies that make safes and the primary differences I can see is the modularity of the interior (of which I am a huge fan...Browning & Winchester seem to lead here but they're super pricey) and fire rating. Past that do I need to care about the various types of steel or size of locking bolts and such in any serious fashion?

Any fantastic raves, amazing deals, or horror stories of ones I should avoid? Question applies to both manufacturer/product as well as retailers I guess.

Thanks

KeithCo88

Many of the imports seem to be the same quality and protection (as in from China), like Sentry, Cannon, etc. Some models may have nicer interiors and bells+whistles than others. Generally they will stop kids and opportunistic thieves, but are generally no match against a targeted attack by equipped and skilled crooks on your gun collection. Some companies use components from China and assemble them in the USA so they can have the "made in USA" label, so you have to do your own research on that.

The full American made company safes are going to be more of challenge for the latter and will typically offer greater protection from theft and fire. Liberty Safe is one example. They also offer a economical no-frills line that is nearly comparable to import safe prices, but offer increased capabilities. I am eying them for my next safe.

Regardless you want your safe to be just one level in your security plan. Good quality deadbolts on your home doors, secured basement windows, adequate exterior lighting, CCTV, and a home alarm system are other examples of "defense in depth" that will add together to act to deter would-be thieves.

Also, whatever you do, make sure you bolt your safe to the wall and/or floor. Make sure it is flush against a wall, and in a corner is even better.

I have (2), one I got at K-Mart & one at Loews. One was 3 & change & the other was I think a little over $400.00. Around 5 ft. tall & app. 2

ft. wide. One's brand name is Sentry, I forget the other's. Are they as good as a 1K-2K & up

Ft. Knox safe or some such high end safe w/ many bolts & a long fire rating? Of course not but they serve the purpose (so far-Thank God!). I don't live in a secluded area where it would take a long time for the fire dept. to get there so am not worried about the fire rating. Have a shepherd to bark like hell if someone broke in. Neighbors would hopefully see someone strange removing it on a hand truck in the event they bypass the dog somehow. You can bolt/chain them to your wall/floor which is a good idea & what I did. I don't think you have to spend a fortune. Check Loews & Home Depot. The Loews by me in Howell had them on sale awhile back for $300 something. You can't beat that! Good luck.

Check this post out, watch video, very informative.

The Truth About Gun Safes

http://njgunforums.c...bout-gun-safes/

**edit for wrong link

And given the above information, if you are looking for a sentry or import try Costco. They put them on sale every once in a while and they are great deals that include delivery.

Just bought a fort Knox 14 gun safe, it has about a foot wide of shelving going up one side as well so you can hold more depending which way it's configured when you order it. I have 8 fairly bulky rifles, some with scopes attached, in there & I probably have room for about 4 more which is fine with me. Not all gun safes are the same. They vary a lot in gauge of steel and bolts (how many, length and width) if you are concerned with someone breaking in & stealing your stuff you should go with 10 gauge steel minimum. If it's just to keep kids out you don't need that much security.

I'll be getting a safe one of these days, and I find it humorous that some safe companies tout the thickness of their safes as being 10 gauge steel. That's a laughable thickness, very thin stuff. It seems that most of the commie chinese safes are in this thickness.

http://www.unc.edu/~...sheetmetal.html

10 gauge is 0.13" thick. That's pathetic. I've used that thickness sheet steel to re-skin my Myers snowplow blade. Easily bendable. Good for my snowplow, bad for a safe.

You'd think at least 1/4-3/8" thick would be the minimum for a decent safe. Maybe such stuff is just too darn expensive, I dunno.

Agree with murphy. After a lot of research I found sturdysafe.com. 100% american, they fabricate their own streek and make safes out of 7 gauge. Seems less expensive than paying for the fort knox name. Haven't decided yet but they're in the running since the only place I can put my safe is in my utility room the real fire protection is something I need

Agree with murphy. After a lot of research I found sturdysafe.com. 100% american, they fabricate their own streek and make safes out of 7 gauge. Seems less expensive than paying for the fort knox name. Haven't decided yet but they're in the running since the only place I can put my safe is in my utility room the real fire protection is something I need

Call and talk to Terry, the owner. My safe is 1100 pounds of Sturdy and Terry actually talked me out of a couple upgrades because even for commercial purposes, he said they'd be overkill.

From my personal observation within the same price range they are all comparable.

If you want something really nice you got to lay out a lot of cash.

I wish more things were "non-taxable".

Exactly. You can spend 10 grand on a safe if you want. Bottom line is, the guy who breaks into your house is more than likely not going to bother trying to break into an 800 lb safe. The guy who knows what he's doing and can easily break into your safe doesn't prowl around the suburbs breaking into random houses. Another factor that I had was getting my safe into my basement. A lot of places that sell safes would not deliver a safe Into my basement that was over a certain weight. My other option was to hire a moving company. I'm pretty sure it's a safer bet hiding all my guns/valuables under my bed than having a moving company do that job.

Call and talk to Terry, the owner. My safe is 1100 pounds of Sturdy and Terry actually talked me out of a couple upgrades because even for commercial purposes, he said they'd be overkill.

+1. Make sure you check "Sturdy" safes out. Lots of good info on the site and some good you tube vids. Sturdy builds the working man's safe , all utility not much in bells and whistles. I found that to get a safe with the same thickness steel that is in a Sturdy you would have to spend about 1K more with one of the other manufacturers.

check out calguns. I think those guys are doing a bulk group purchase. You may get a discount on your quote if you mention them

got a link? i did some googling but couldn't find anything referencing that