this_is_nascar

How Much Money Does the NRA P*ss Away?

I just received my "free DVD" from the NRA pushing this PDN DVD Series (Personal Defense Network). Because you never asked for the DVD, you are not obligated to return it. What percentage of members do you think the NRA mailed this to? How much do you think it cost them in time, effort and expense. WTF !

I'm sure the $50 donation I gave last year paid for all the mailings I recived in the past year. Oh and lets not forget the salaries:

Wayne LaPierre, Executive VP/Ex-Officio $970,300 a year

I'm sure the $50 donation I gave last year paid for all the mailings I recived in the past year. Oh and lets not forget this:

Wayne LaPierre, who currently sits upon the executive vice president throne, pocketed about $950,000 in 2005. The parking lot at the association’s twin-glass-towered headquarters off Interstate 66 in Virginia is filled with shiny new BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes.

Yea, that's my point. Another racket that's making folks rich, with little benefit to those who support it.

I'm sure the $50 donation I gave last year paid for all the mailings I recived in the past year. Oh and lets not forget the salaries:

Wayne LaPierre, Executive VP/Ex-Officio $970,300 a year

thats just on paper, in reality is he probably eating road kill with uncle ted. what do you think a top executives sallary should be.

typed on a keyboard

You guys Do realize that all it takes is one Phone call to End ALL Mailings other than your Magazine, and renewal notices..right?

And that way more of your money goes to lobbying. I have heard NRA higher ups, say that its not just about the money. They more voters they can say are members, the more clout they have.

You guys Do realize that all it takes is one Phone call to End ALL Mailings other than your Magazine, and renewal notices..right?

Do you realize that you're missing the point I'm trying to make? Unsolicited mailings is what it's called. What do you think it cost the NRA for that? How much of your "membership" monies and all those rip-off "round-it-up" extras are being p*ssed away because of this?

I see that it's time for our quarterly "Hate on the NRA" thread.

While it may be easier to see how an organization focused on one or two goals is progressing, it is much harder to assess the effectiveness of an organization that is working on so many national levels - not just to roll back bad legislation, but to prevent new bad legislation from becoming law. They are our NATIONAL lobbying arm. They don't pay attention to New Jersey's problems? Boo hoo, get over it - that's not ther mission. You don't think that they make money on the unsolicited mailings? Get real - I think they can figure out something as simple as whether a direct mail campaign is profitable. If it weren't for the NRA we wouldn't be enjoying the little bit of freedom we have today - it is truly the one lobbying organization that strikes fear in the hearts of legislators. Want to support local organizations? Fine, just don't forget that without a national infrastructure the locals wouldn't stand a chance. Rant off.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Go ahead, negative rep me......oh, nevermind.

While it may be easier to see how an organization focused on one or two goals is progressing, it is much harder to assess the effectiveness of an organization that is working on so many national levels - not just to roll back bad legislation, but to prevent new bad legislation from becoming law. They are our NATIONAL lobbying arm. They don't pay attention to New Jersey's problems? Boo hoo, get over it - that's not ther mission. You don't think that they make money on the unsolicited mailings? Get real - I think they can figure out something as simple as whether a direct mail campaign is profitable. If it weren't for the NRA we wouldn't be enjoying the little bit of freedom we have today - it is truly the one lobbying organization that strikes fear in the hearts of legislators. Want to support local organizations? Fine, just don't forget that without a national infrastructure the locals wouldn't stand a chance. Rant off.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sorry Bob. I didn't intend to strike a nerve with you. I think you might be giving too much credit to this organization. That aside, my argument isn't about what they do. My concern is them wasting dollars on things that simply don't matter in my opinion. Pissing away dollars, mismanagement of funds and lining pockets come to mind.

My concern is them wasting dollars on things that simply don't matter in my opinion. Pissing away dollars, mismanagement of funds and lining pockets come to mind.

If a direct mail campaign costs $X and returns $X + $Y dollars, how is that pissing away dollars? Sorry, didn't know you had the inside scoop on how the NRA operates. :negative:

If we didn't have the NRA fighting on a national level, everyone would be screwed. We can't use NJ to base their actions on because NJ is too deep rooted with liberals and we still have states rights. Until we have a change in NJ's political makeup, it's going to be very difficult for the NRA to help us with anything. I can't comment on what's waste since I have no idea on their daily operations.

Sorry Bob. I didn't intend to strike a nerve with you. I think you might be giving too much credit to this organization. That aside, my argument isn't about what they do. My concern is them wasting dollars on things that simply don't matter in my opinion. Pissing away dollars, mismanagement of funds and lining pockets come to mind.

Do you have some examples of mismanagement? Or, lining pockets? Have you audited the NRA's books?

+1 for Pizza Bob

-1 for Nascar

Edited by NJJim

You guys are making similar assumptions to those you're accusing me of making. How do you know that these mailings are making money at the end of the day and don't say because if they didn't, they wouldn't be doing it.

Because if they didn't, they wouldn't be doing it.

:tomato:

It's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain about organizations like the NRA. What involvement have you had to see how such a large organization keeps running, besides choosing whether to be a member? Have you written to NRA headquarters to voice your concern and suggest change? Or do you just go online and rant about it on a forum? If you feel you can run the organization better, then try becoming a board member or other officer in the organization.

If you honestly feel that they piss away money or pay too much in salaries, then offer to do one of these positions for free (then, maybe after seeing first hand what these folks do, you'll understand why they get paid in the first place).

Why do they send out so many mailings? For the same reason a lot of businesses do--to remind the clientele they are there. They need to solicit donations to keep operating. People generally do not donate funds to nonprofits on a regular basis without being asked. Sending out occasional letters increases the donations they get. Occasionally they partner with outside vendors in an effort to increase the value of NRA membership (whether this is misguided is a matter of opinion).

Like any other NRA member, I don't agree with everything they do or every stance they take. However, I continue to support them as they continue to fight for us. If you think you can do better, please by all means show us.

Guys and Gals, the NRA isn't perfect and neither is any other large organization. Now does it seem that they push and mail things out all the time, sure, but do you really think they are doing it, or would continue to do that if there wasn't a net return? NO

Also not that I will say you are wrong if you don't join or support the NRA, heck in the PR of NJ I can see how some would think they do nothing here. While that may be the case as you see it, the NRA isn't going fight battles that local groups are working on, plus they are not a state level organization unless there is a final push needed. They work on the national level, and that's where they carry weight. No I can not personally quantify what they have averted happening here in NJ or other states and list them here, but let me tell you, if you think they really do nothing, your living in a fantasy world. I'd bet that things nationally would be so restricted or even more screwed up than they are X100 if it weren't for the NRA.

Do I think all gun owners should belong to the NRA, actually yes I do, do I fault anyone for not being a member, absolutely not, but when gun rights get better, or something is stopped, locally if things change through the NJ2AS, SAF, ANJRPC, etc, thank the groups and the members that support them.. I just feel that you want things to change you have to be a part of the change is all I am saying.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

Well stated, and thanks!

And I'll add my 2 cents' worth:

It really bugs the crap outta me to hear (or read) of complaints about the NRA. It REALLY REALLY bugs me to see posters here who are so CHEAP that they can't afford less than a $50.00 annual fee to stand-up and be counted, but they can go out and buy all of the toys that they want, so long as the rest of us are doing all of their fighting for them, (dues) money-wise! Like it or not the NRA is the only pro-gun National Organization with any real lobbying power in Washington. So it's past time to start protecting YOUR 2A Rights, you el-cheapos out there!

Dave

NRA Life Member

Father of NRA Life Member (at age 5!)