johnp

Has anyone actually applied for a NJ CCW?

Because NJ is run by liberals and they are the ones who appoint judges. Look at the NJ Supreme Court. Denying carry permits is not a matter of being held responsible but one of furtherance of an agenda. Its got nothing to do with being held responsible as they can be held responsible for not issuing permits to people who have applied, been denied, and later killed or seriously injured by a criminal.

I'd find it hard to believe every single judge is a liberal in this state... I would wager they would suffer some professional repercussions if they gave away permits like candy on Halloween night.

I didnt think judges were elected in NJ.

Sorry--should have said they can be not re-appointed. No wonder I never see judges on the ballot since I moved here.

As for the original question--I have considered applying. But knowing it would be an almost pointless exercise, could cause problems when I move out of state, and could get expensive and use up a lot of time better spent at the range; I decided against that fight.

It looks like no one who answered the original post has actually applied for a CCW permit.

not for this state, but I have for other states. There are a couple out of state applications that asks if you were ever denied a CCW permit anywhere. I don't want to go through the trouble of explaining why I was denied, so I don't bother trying to apply in New Jersey because I know it will be denied.

The big issue you will run into when you do apply is the non-definitive, subjective, and vague clause in the law that says you must show proof of "justifiable need". That's why there is a lawsuit (with multiple plaintiffs) going on right now over that issue.

I've been wondering what's going on with that lawsuit. Wasn't there supposed to be an answer back in September? 6 months later...

I would think though if we flood the PD's and state police with CCW applications and they keep denying everyone it would help the cause.

As I understand it, the police departments are not the ones notorious for denial. In fact I believe a good portion of the departments support civilian carry. A lot of the CF came from the judges denying permits after they were approved by the department.

Judging by the responses, I'm assuming no one has applied for the fear of immediate denial.

Just want to make sure I have the process correct: you submit all the paperwork to your local PD, the chief signs off it's approved, and then has to signed and approved again by a judge?? Is that right?

My suggestion to anyone thinking of applying, don't bother. You're just wasting everyones time. If you are really serious about a NJ CCW permit, perhaps you should consider a large campaign contribution to your favorite county freeholder. Something in excess of $10,000 would probably do the trick.

Judging by the responses, I'm assuming no one has applied for the fear of immediate denial.

Just want to make sure I have the process correct: you submit all the paperwork to your local PD, the chief signs off it's approved, and then has to signed and approved again by a judge?? Is that right?

yup. and the superior court judge can put restrictions like "to be carried to and from work, only on weekdays when it's sunny." of course it's an exaggeration, but they have that much power over it.

why bother having a CCW in this state to begin with? in public, we have a duty to retreat. it is the victims responsibility to descalate any such situtation.

I see this as a false choice. It implies the current thinking that ones carrying implies offensive intent.

Your duty to retreat ends when you cannot further retreat. If someone has the drop on you, you're messed either way. But, if you are able to obtain cover, I'd say you're unable to retreat under fire.

The fact that ccw is verboten is a separate problem from the duty to retreat. I see them a mutually exclusive.

It does not help any cause to just flood the police depts and courts with requests for NJ carry permits. Most, if not all, will be denied for lack of justifiable need. Many other states carry permit forms require disclosing any prior denials for carry permits (who wants to check yes to that and have to explain?).

The ANJRPC and SAF, in a joint effort, have been pushing a lawsuit to challenge the constitutionality of the law by presenting six (I believe it was six) plaintiffs who applied and were denied, but had what they believe to be justifiable need. One plaintiff eventually had to withdraw, because the judge that initially denied him called him in for another hearing, and granted him the carry permit (I forget his name, but he was the one kidnapped by the biker gang in a case of mistaken identity).

It is more helpful to the cause to support the actions that are organized by groups like ANJRPC and SAF (whether as a member or not). They put together plans that are well thought out and with definite goals. Randomly doing things like flooding police depts with permit applications is neither helpful nor productive.

yup. and the superior court judge can put restrictions like "to be carried to and from work, only on weekdays when it's sunny." of course it's an exaggeration, but they have that much power over it.

Yes, and I believe you are only granted CCW for one specific gun. I.e. if you get CCW to carry your Glock 19 and you decide to CCW your Glock 26... you're in violation of your CCW.

So in thr case of the biker gang....the person was kidnapped and probably beaten to an inch of his life.......then if you live, you can apply for a permit........No Thanks.

When will some sense of it come to the law makers here in NJ.............?

IMO.......dementia run rampid in the NJ legislature.

I'd find it hard to believe every single judge is a liberal in this state... I would wager they would suffer some professional repercussions if they gave away permits like candy on Halloween night.

I never said all judges in NJ are liberal. Without a polling I would think most are liberal. I would agree there is most likely professional consequences if a conservative judge started approving carry permits.

Yes, and I believe you are only granted CCW for one specific gun. I.e. if you get CCW to carry your Glock 19 and you decide to CCW your Glock 26... you're in violation of your CCW.

I heard that to. And that it doesn't help with the exemption issue either. Meaning that you take your CCW'd Glock and a Colt 1911 for range time, stop at the Diner for coffee, you're not covered for the 1911. Nor does it cover rifles or shotguns.

not for this state, but I have for other states. There are a couple out of state applications that asks if you were ever denied a CCW permit anywhere. I don't want to go through the trouble of explaining why I was denied, so I don't bother trying to apply in New Jersey because I know it will be denied.

NJ even asks that question. Reason for rejection: NJ.

Nuf said.

I heard that to. And that it doesn't help with the exemption issue either. Meaning that you take your CCW'd Glock and a Colt 1911 for range time, stop at the Diner for coffee, you're not covered for the 1911. Nor does it cover rifles or shotguns.

Incorrect.

2C:hitleft.gif58-4hitright.gif. Permits to carry handguns

<a name="{1BCE}"> a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by section 2C:39-5e. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit.

I actually tried to apply, but the detective wouldn't even give me the paper work. He said he was not going to waste his time and the judges time. I asked again and he looked at me, gave me a smirk and a small grunt and told me to have a nice day. I created a post on this on what happen that day. Its ridiculous.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Other states have these restrictions too. New York State and Clark County Nevada requires pistols that are to be carried to be listed on the license/permit.

I actually tried to apply, but the detective wouldn't even give me the paper work. He said he was not going to waste his time and the judges time. I asked again and he looked at me, gave me a smirk and a small grunt and told me to have a nice day. I created a post on this on what happen that day. Its ridiculous.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Now that, I would have made an issue of, including legal action.

My suggestion to anyone thinking of applying, don't bother. You're just wasting everyones time. If you are really serious about a NJ CCW permit, perhaps you should consider a large campaign contribution to your favorite county freeholder. Something in excess of $10,000 would probably do the trick.

I assume this is tongue in cheek, but let's run with it for a moment. Do you really believe stuff like this happens? Considering that offering to bribe an official is a serious felony, I always assumed that things like this fall more into the urban legend category, but perhaps I'm naive (especially since this is NJ, after all).

I assume this is tongue in cheek, but let's run with it for a moment. Do you really believe stuff like this happens? Considering that offering to bribe an official is a serious felony, I always assumed that things like this fall more into the urban legend category, but perhaps I'm naive (especially since this is NJ, after all).

I remember hearing some 'talk' when waiting to pick up my firearm from an FFL. Some dudes talking about burglaries in their neighborhood (in a wealthy community) where some of them possessed class III stuff and were worried about it being lost. I asked them how anyone can own stuff like that, and their response was something along the lines of: if you have enough money, you can make anything legal. FWIW, it's probably BS. But from the looks of the cars these guys were driving and where the FFL was... who knows.

I remember hearing some 'talk' when waiting to pick up my firearm from an FFL. Some dudes talking about burglaries in their neighborhood (in a wealthy community) where some of them possessed class III stuff and were worried about it being lost. I asked them how anyone can own stuff like that, and their response was something along the lines of: if you have enough money, you can make anything legal. FWIW, it's probably BS. But from the looks of the cars these guys were driving and where the FFL was... who knows.

I actually believe this to be true in any State, for just about anything you want. Money, contacts and power is what it's all about.

No, I was totally serious. Politicians do "favors" for their big contributors all the time.

I would never apply, 'just because' or out of curiosity....

Here's why (correct me if im wrong):

1. 2 yr renewal(???) my a$$!

2. NJ does NOT recognise>>> "Equal Protection under the Law..." -especially this "gun" stuff.

3. If you even manage to get one (purely hypothetical) and chances are, it's a HIGHLY restricted 'working permit', or while you are on the job. NO 'carrying' to and from work AT ALL. This is from a judge.

4. If you get denied, or in other words, WHEN you get denied...Now, if you apply elsewhere when you finally decide to move (or the taxes force you is more like it) and apply for a say, FL permit, since you live in FL now, they will ask, 'Were you ever *denied* a CCW permit appl before???'

5. Would be easier to terraform Mars.

6. Lautenmummy will personally track you down and kill you.

I just took a quick look at the FL. CCW application, and I did not see anywhere on it, "have you ever been denied the right to carry a firearm".

Also I don't see how a NJ ccw denial would affect your being able to get a ccw in a shall issue(American state). You aren't getting denied because you have any criminal charges, or anything that a free state would reject you for. It's because the most liberal anti-gun state in the country, said you had no justifiable need. If this came up on your new states ccw application, a simple explanation should be sufficent.

I know of one guy who did get an approval. He owns and opperates a vending company. Im not sure but I think he knew someone too! I actually submitted my application To only withdraw it after my interview with the chief..... Who is not just an "ANTI" but he was an "A-HOLE" too!