TJM

Trap/Skeet

I'm a new member @ CJRPC, been impressed with the trap and skeet facilities there and am interested in trying my hand....although I'm not the best equipped I think. Would I be better off 1. trying out with my 18.5" barrel Mossberg 590a; or 2. 28" barrel Ithaca featherlight 16 gauge inheritance from my father? Ithaca is a pump as well? Seems like I read 12g is the primary gauge for trap/skeet - looking for advice to figure out which would handicap me less, shorter barrel or smaller gauge, at least to start and see whether or not I like it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The only downside to 16 gauge is cost. Ammo is much pricier, and I don't know that I have ever seen target loads in it. I usually order cases of shotgun ammo from Cabelas when they have their 1 cent or 5 cent shipping. Check there.

My suggestion would be to buy a 30" barrel for your Mossberg. You will recoup the cost pretty quickly just by the difference in cost between 12 and 16 gauge ammo.

Yeah, I was about to say, I've never even seen 16 gauge ammunition on the shelf. Of course, I've never looked.

I occasionally shoot with a Mossberg 500 and I'll break 20 in a session. The doubles are harder because you really have to be fast on that pump, but I hold my own when I shoot it.

If your 590 has the 5 round magazine and the 18.5" barrel, you can get a 28" barrel and a skeet choke for it. It works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions....thinking about giving the 16g a shot and then if it grows on me move to a 12 g either by getting a new barrel or looking for a semi to start me off...my mossie has the ghost ring site which while I like for he'd seems like it'll be a handicap for trap or skeet.

You can certainly use your Ithaca M37. Light field loads with 1oz. #7.5's or #8's will be fine for trap from the 16 yd. distance with your 28" bbl. I'll assume the M37 has a fixed MOD. choke. Others are correct, unless you reload, 16's may cost you more in the long run and also don't come in as many load offerings as the 12 ga. I shoot trap occasionally with my 16 ga. pump, and it's fine for non-handicap distances.

That 16 ga. M37 is a nicely balanced shotgun, and the 16 ga. shell is a nicely balanced load, especially if you reload. (The phrase, "Carries like a 20, and hits like a 12," is attributed to the 16 ga.) Hold on to it.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread with this question, so I'll just tag along on this one. I don't plan to shoot a lot of trap and skeet, but I tried it a few weeks ago at Thunder Mountain, and it was kind of fun. I used their shotguns, but I was wondering if I could just throw a 28" barrel on my Mossberg 500 (current one is 20") and go at it. Would I need a particular kind of choke, or could I just use whatever comes with the barrel?

I didn't want to start a whole new thread with this question, so I'll just tag along on this one. I don't plan to shoot a lot of trap and skeet, but I tried it a few weeks ago at Thunder Mountain, and it was kind of fun. I used their shotguns, but I was wondering if I could just throw a 28" barrel on my Mossberg 500 (current one is 20") and go at it. Would I need a particular kind of choke, or could I just use whatever comes with the barrel?

If you just wanted to give it a whirl, that would work just fine. You may want to find a barrel with interchangeable chokes, which will allow you to change the barrel around depending on the game you're going to go play that day.