Mike903

Magazines that hold more than 15 rounds

I thought the mag restriction only applied to semi-auto firearms. What if you had a high cap mag for a non-semi auto? I can't think of such a mag but If one exists would it be legal?

Also, what about semi-auto shotguns? Would owning a mag that holds more than 6 rounds be legal if you do not own the shotgun that uses them? What if you owned a semi-auto shotgun and a 7rd mag but didn't attach it? I'll assume that one is constructive intent.

edit- I just thought of a scenario- What if you owned a Ruger .22 bolt action that accepts 10/22 mags and a 50rd mag, and you don't own a 10/22?

Edited by Teufelhunden

Cant word it any better

Yes, it can be worded better, because it's missing a crucial part. It's for semi-auto firearms. Teufelhunded beat me to it...but I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this fact. A detachable magazine can hold more than 15 rounds IF it only works in firearms that are not semi-automatic. If it fits in any semi-automatic firearm, it's illegal.

edit- I just thought of a scenario- What if you owned a Ruger .22 bolt action that accepts 10/22 mags and a 50rd mag, and you don't own a 10/22?

No dice. That's illegal because you own a magazine that accepts more than 15 rounds, and will work in a semi-automatic firearm.

Probably someone trying to justify their "45"

Doubt it. No M1911 has ever had a magazine capacity of 6 rounds. 7 was the standard. Nowadays you can get single stack magazines from 7 to 15 rounds, and double stack magazines in a variety of capacities as well for firearms chambered in .45ACP that uses such a design.

Sure is funny to watch those 45 ACP guys at the range spend a lot of time pushing ammo in the mag.

Notice how the 6 shooters dump, easily drop ammo in, & slam? (Okay so we don't actually slam the cylinders like they do in movies)

Won't see that from me much. I only have 7 round magazines, but the key word is magazines, plural. At about $6 a magazine, why not have 10+ of them?

Someone once mentioned if you need more than 6 rounds in a gunfight, you better run

It was probably someone that likes revolvers. I knew a cop that liked his revolver for off duty and would say the same thing... I have to say he was an excellent shot so you probably didn't need more than 6...

I have to say he was an excellent shot so you probably didn't need more than 6...

Adrenaline? Multiple targets? Malfunction on one of the rounds? Freezes when confronted with a fight? There's PLENTY of people that are great at standing still and shooting paper that isn't moving. It's a whole different ball game when you need to move and hit a target that's also moving and shooting back at you.

Original Officer's models were 6-round mags.

Oh, that's one of those new compact versions, right? I'm only familiar with the fullsize models. John Browning designed the pistol with a 7 round magazine. Didn't even think that anyone would make one even smaller than that.