Ronald Pierantozzi

Do I need To Register an Old Shotgun that was passed down?

I have a 12 gauge side by side that was my Great-Grandfathers. It's about 100 years old & is missing the firing pins. I never owned a gun before but am getting ready to apply for Firearms purchasing ID. I'd like to go hunting & am interested in eventually getting a handgun. But now that I was downloading forms my old shotgun came to mind.

Another question is; Do you guys know of or recommend a place to get this shotgun possibly repaired in North Jersey?post-4950-0-22792600-1334246627_thumb.jpg

Was the shotty left to you as the named heir to it in a will or obtained legally as a resident of another state? Yes?- good answer.Otherwise you and the previous owner will need to fill out COE's (cert of eledgeability form) and you as the receiver must have a FID card to do that. There is no registration needed, it is voluntary so in otherwords -dont do it.

1. Get your FID.

2. Do not fire this shotgun, it may not be able to handle modern, high-pressure loads.

Is there any kind of pattern on the barrels? Is there a stamp that says "laminated" or "Damascus?"

Is it only me or did you guys not see the "no firing pins" remark. So not much shooting that shot gun. Where in North Jersey are you from. Mastodon Arms and Ammo have a full service gun smith. They are listed on the vendor forum. They will let you know if it is worth fixing and if/or not safe to shoot.