richtr186

Moving to NJ

Hello gentlemen! My name is Rich. I am 26 years old and work as a Mechanical Engineer. I am moving to central NJ (red bank area) from Long island NY (born and raised) within the next 2 months so I will be looking for places to shoot, shop, etc. You guys have a nice place here and I hope to contribute anyway I can and learn much! Any input, comments, suggestions you guys have would be great! Thanks!

-Rich

I thought I was going to be the first to say, "Don't move!", but since you are coming from NY, it may be a step up, as far as gun laws and ownership are concerned.

Welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I thought I was going to be the first to say, "Don't move!", but since you are coming from NY, it may be a step up, as far as gun laws and ownership are concerned.

Welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Haha thanks guys.. Yea actually on Long Island right now (since I'm not in NYC) I dont need a permit of any kind for long guns so I'll probably have to leave my shotguns and rifles behind until I get my NJ firearms permit. But as for handguns, it will be much more of a relief to get the permit in NJ than in NY (much easier, cheaper and less $$). I already have a few lined up on my radar :drinks:

Anyways.. Thanks again guys. I'll have to start doing some research now about applying for my permits.. Do you guys know if I have to wait until I get my NJ drivers license, etc. before I can apply for the firearms permits?

-Rich

IMO.....Do yourself a big favor...........stay where you are or move somewhere else........NJ is not the place to move to..

Yeaa.. well my long time girlfriend is born and raised in NJ and all of her family is here so as for now I dont really have much of a choice.. within the next 5 years or so her parents will be retiring in PA and mine will be in VA so i am looking forward to moving out of here (no offense to NJ) and moving to one of the less liberal states.. For now ill bite the bullet but I am glad to be atleast out of the NYC area and traveling across the damn bridges every weekdnd

-Rich

Hi, Rich,

You are OK to bring your long guns into NJ without an FID as long as you are traveling *directly to* your new home. Once you get your FID, you can drive around with an unloaded longarm or shotgun in your trunk with no fixed destination.

I think NY has an "assault weapons" ban that is similar to NJ, but you may wish to run your list of guns by us to be sure first.

Welcome to New Jersey.

so I'll probably have to leave my shotguns and rifles behind until I get my NJ firearms permit. But as for handguns, it will be much more of a relief to get the permit in NJ than in NY (much easier, cheaper and less $$). I already have a few lined up on my radar :drinks:

NJ doesn't have gun ownership permits, they are purchase permits, a one time for long guns and one for each handgun. As long as your firearms do not violate NJ assault weapons laws, you are free to bring them to your home when you move to NJ. You may also take them to the range, a gunsmith, a business that you own or to hunt if it's appropriate for hunting.

Welcome.

Rich, any firearms that you own, as long as they are not prohibited, you can bring with you to NJ without a FPID card or otherwise.If you have questions on whether or not any of your firearms particularly are or are not legal here in NJ, just ask and I am sure there are plenty of people who can help you out and point you in the right direction.

I'm sorry to here that you are moving to NJ, but welcome to the forum.

Wow! Thank you guys for all the info and replies! I will be sure to PM or post any questions I have. I know NJ isnt the greatest place for us as gun enthusiasts but moving here is kind of what I have to do for now.. but my future father in law has 100 acres in PA only about 3 hours away so we go there to hunt and do just about anything our hearts desire :russian:

As for the firearms, I dont have anything that would violate any of the big bad "assault weapons" ban, but I have been interested at trying my hand at an AR build at some point in the future. For now just some pump shotguns, a single shot, my trusty rem 700 for deer season and a few 22s. Will expand the collection once I am settled and have a safe and permits, etc. but i'm glad to know I can bring them with me. Thanks again fellas! :B:):

-Rich

Hey Rich. Welcome to the forums. I'm a NY transplant as well, Westchester County. In NY I had a carry permit, then business took me here and well, no carry permit and the rest is history. Your rifles from NY shouldn't be an issue. In NJ, getting your FID and pistol permits is simply a waiting game. Very draconian gun laws here. In fact, I've been waiting for my latest pitol permits since I was 3 years old! :) All kidding aside, this is a great forum with a wealth of knowledge. You'll enjoy it.

Welcome to the Forum, I see the other gave you the normal, don't do it routine. Think they covered you on that you can bring the guns to the PR of NJ as long as they are NJ legal. As far as places to shoot, you have CJRPC and OBRPC that I think may be the 2 closest clubs to you with CJ being the closest. I only mention clubs being I don't really like public ranges.

Red Bank is a great place to move besides the fact that it is in NJ. You are also close to Shore Shot and Brick Armory for indoor ranges. I found ths link on another one of the discussions on this site.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=206315401931440859743.00047be349a968b8509d2&t=h&z=8

It is very useful. It should cover all your questions.

Welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I thought the same thing Bob..My son moved from Jersey to Long Island and hated living out there. Fortunately, he found a better job now and just bought a new house in the free state of Pennsylvania!

Rich, welcome to the forum and New Jersey. There are quite a few places to shop and shoot near Red Bank.

Whats up bro, im a newbie to firearms and to this site,but it is awesome !! i learned alot on here in the last couple months and got alotta help on questions i needed a quick answer to right from the chat room , as a matter of fact ,i learned somethin' right here in your topic, welcome !!!

Thanks guys again for all the info! Yea Long Island is nice if you dont have to travel but I have been traveling across these damn bridges to NJ and the rest of the country for 5 years now (not to mention driving in NYC traffic everyday) so it will be a relief to only be a few miles from my new job even if it is in NJ. Red Bank is a nice area but I only need about 2-3 years of experience at this new job to get my engineering license and then I can move to other cities (and states!) but for now NJ will be my home. The one good thing about the new job is that its only 2 miles from where we will be living which means more time to shoot! So I will probably look to join some sort of club in the area. Thank you guys again for all of the input I look forward to contributing, learning and shooting as much as I can! If anyone has any questions for me feel free

-Rich

PS.. I dunno how many of you guys read any of the NY newspapers but this Retiree should be training the NYPD how to shoot! Lucky for the other two femals officers the scumbags gun jammed.. I'm glad to see whatever brains he had are on the pavement now :maninlove: I guess thats what you get for not cleaning your weapons and holding them sideways :icon_lol:

http://www.nypost.co...T7SdYwHFxIroYCJ

-Rich