Jon

Offshoot: Buying cheap guns to use in a defense situation?

For most people, I imagine a handgun would make the most sense for home defense,

I'm COMPLETELY baffled by this statement. Why?! Handguns SUCK for fighting. Granted, they can be better than a knife in most situations, but compared to shotguns and rifles...a handgun just doesn't cut it. Yes, I have a handgun as my bedside gun, and it's near me when I'm around the house...but the sole purpose of my handgun is if I need something to fight my way to my rifle. Nothing else. If I have time, I'm grabbing my rifle. If I don't have time to grab it right away, I'm using the handgun to make my way to the rifle.

SInce I don't have any handguns,rifles or shotguns yet. For me home defence will be with a shotgun in my hand and a handgun on my hip. Price will only matter when I buy if I can find a great deal on a weapon of choice. I do agree with other post you shoulduse what you are comfortable with not something just because you aren't afraid of losing it.

There is nothing more intimidating then the sight 12 ga pump being pointed at you ,and the sound of a round being racked into the chamber.IMO would probably scare off most would be intruders.and the ones who arent,5 rounds of 00 buckshot should do the trick...IMO more firepower then you would ever need in a HD situation..

There is nothing more intimidating then the sight 12 ga pump being pointed at you ,and the sound of a round being racked into the chamber.IMO would probably scare off most would be intruders.and the ones who arent,5 rounds of 00 buckshot should do the trick...IMO more firepower then you would ever need in a HD situation..

This has been addressed many times before. Confronting an intruder in your own home is not even advised, you're best to call the cops and sit tight in a room you can defend. If you DO confront the intruder, please don't be COMPLETELY stupid and walk into the room without a round chambered. That's just idiotic. Some scenarios may include, but are not limited to: 1. Racking the slide, and the round or shell doesn't chamber (hey, sh*t happens). 2. Walking towards where you hear the noise with an empty chamber, and suddenly being attacked by an intruder you didn't hear. 3. The intruder hears you before you expect them to, and they charge you...and you fail to chamber a round in time because you were surprised. 4. Hell, a bad turnout would be that you successfully chamber a round, they charge you, and you shoot them. Either way, you're in for a legal headache. NJ doesn't protect from civil suits, even in a legal shoot.

Or you could do the SMART thing. Chamber a round, and hold up in a room while calling the police. Some possible scenarios are: 1. The intruder escapes before the cops show up...you may have lost some personal items, but insurance will pay for it, and you still have your life and money in your account from a lack of legal issues. 2. The cops show up in time, and arrest the intruder, and you still have your life and money in your account from a lack of legal issues. 3. The cops show up in time, intruder charges them, cops shoot intruder, and you still have your life and money in your account from a lack of legal issues. Notice the common denominator in these three scenarios?? You're not risking your safety or wealth NEARLY as much. You're not Rambo. Quit trying to be. Nobody is impressed.

This has been addressed many times before. Confronting an intruder in your own home is not even advised, you're best to call the cops and sit tight in a room you can defend. If you DO confront the intruder, please don't be COMPLETELY stupid and walk into the room without a round chambered. That's just idiotic. Some scenarios may include, but are not limited to: 1. Racking the slide, and the round or shell doesn't chamber (hey, sh*t happens). 2. Walking towards where you hear the noise with an empty chamber, and suddenly being attacked by an intruder you didn't hear. 3. The intruder hears you before you expect them to, and they charge you...and you fail to chamber a round in time because you were surprised. 4. Hell, a bad turnout would be that you successfully chamber a round, they charge you, and you shoot them. Either way, you're in for a legal headache. NJ doesn't protect from civil suits, even in a legal shoot.

Or you could do the SMART thing. Chamber a round, and hold up in a room while calling the police. Some possible scenarios are: 1. The intruder escapes before the cops show up...you may have lost some personal items, but insurance will pay for it, and you still have your life and money in your account from a lack of legal issues. 2. The cops show up in time, and arrest the intruder, and you still have your life and money in your account from a lack of legal issues. 3. The cops show up in time, intruder charges them, cops shoot intruder, and you still have your life and money in your account from a lack of legal issues. Notice the common denominator in these three scenarios?? You're not risking your safety or wealth NEARLY as much. You're not Rambo. Quit trying to be. Nobody is impressed.

I completely agree, but sometimes you cannot just stay held up in a room. You may have other family members in other rooms, etc. It certainly would be the most sensible to be with the whole family in a safe room. You are better off then risking a gunfight. You have more time to prepare and find cover. You have time to call for help. You have less chance of risking the legal crap from defending yourself.

I'm COMPLETELY baffled by this statement. Why?! Handguns SUCK for fighting. Granted, they can be better than a knife in most situations, but compared to shotguns and rifles...a handgun just doesn't cut it. Yes, I have a handgun as my bedside gun, and it's near me when I'm around the house...but the sole purpose of my handgun is if I need something to fight my way to my rifle. Nothing else. If I have time, I'm grabbing my rifle. If I don't have time to grab it right away, I'm using the handgun to make my way to the rifle.

Primarily you want to win the fight if you are in a gunfight. However, unless you are holding up in one room, it is difficult to maneuver with a long gun and there is a greater chance it could be taken away from you, etc. Also, there is greater chance of over penetration with a rifle, slugs, etc.. From a purely firepower standpoint, of course a shotgun is better. And, I recommend having both at the ready.

but sometimes you cannot just stay held up in a room. You may have other family members in other rooms, etc.

This is the ONE exception. I know that being younger, in better shape, and better at shooting, I could put up more of a fight than my dad. This means that if there was an intruder, I would put up my best efforts to meet up in his room and hold up in there. Regardless though, I was directing my point at CONFRONTING the intruder simply because they're an intruder. You don't try to scare them off, that's only going to compound the potential for issues, and compound the consequences.

Primarily you want to win the fight if you are in a gunfight. However, unless you are holding up in one room, it is difficult to maneuver with a long gun and there is a greater chance it could be taken away from you, etc. Also, there is greater chance of over penetration with a rifle, slugs, etc.. From a purely firepower standpoint, of course a shotgun is better. And, I recommend having both at the ready.

Hold a handgun out at full length, and compare that to a rifle or shotgun (with 16" and 18.5" barrels respectively). There isn't much difference. There's also techniques that can be used with a rifle or shotgun to help prevent them from being taken from you. I'm not denying what you're saying, just pointing out that there's things that can be learned to sway those disadvantages.

Who cares how much a gun costs if it works to save your life? I find it amusing some people feel they absolutely need a $3000 1911 to defend themsielves. I've never paid more than about $600 (in today's dollars) for any handgun and those that I have needed worked well. The S&W Model 10 is as an efficient defensive handgun for any SD situation as a "legendary" Colt Python.

some people may choose to defend their home and family,others may choose to cower in a locked room til the police arrive, hopefully in time

IMHO I feel that huddling up with your family in a locked room with muzzles towards the door is the absolute best way to respond to a home invasion. Let the police do the shooting and absolve yourself of that liability/mental distress unless you're forced into it.

Aren't defensive guns for using in defense? Not collecting, right?

Correct. I agree with taking a "defensive" stance in the locked room, with the loaded, pointed and ready-to-go weapon. I don't agree with taking the "offensive" stance of seeking out the intruder in the house.

First, after retrieving my $1K+ handgun, I make sure the family is safe. I then announce that I have a gun and will use it. I then seek out the noise/intruder in order to protect myself and family.

IMHO I feel that huddling up with your family in a locked room with muzzles towards the door is the absolute best way to respond to a home invasion. Let the police do the shooting and absolve yourself of that liability/mental distress unless you're forced into it.

This. It's not even an opinion, it has the highest probability of you and your family getting out alive and unharmed.

First, after retrieving my $1K+ handgun, I make sure the family is safe. I then announce that I have a gun and will use it. I then seek out the noise/intruder in order to protect myself and family.

Paul, I think someone in your position is the exception to what we're discussing. I consider myself to be a decent shot, my IDPA scores will back that up. I've also played paintball extensively, so I do have some experience at shooting at a moving target that's shooting at me, while moving myself. But that's shooting at pieces of cardboard that aren't shooting back, or getting hit with paintballs. Not a life and death situation. You've had, what I must imagine, is at the very least a decent amount of training in both live fire scenarios and hand to hand combat. You'd have the upper hand against most intruders, unless the SEALs broke into your house. I however don't have that kind of experience, and would want to eliminate as many variables as possible. If I hold up in my room, holding on the door, there's just about two situations that could happen. 1. They don't enter the room, whether the cops get them or not is irrelevant. 2. They enter the room. I'm now faced with either shooting, or not shooting. Again, a lot less variables. Nobody can sneak in or hit me from behind. Also as Jon and I stated, you're seriously reducing the chances of legal issues, because you have a much smaller chance of actually having to shoot someone. Also, if you do, being on the defensive rather than offensive will work in your favor in the court rooms.

My $350 ruger can drop an intruder the same as a $1,500 race gun.

There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". I've put over a thousand rounds through my Ruger P94 and my Springfield XD; without problems. They will both work in defence situations.

I have plans for what to do for a fire, hurricane and a home invasion. My wife will be armed and in my sons room, with him. Intruders have to get through me to get to them. I don't like the idea of all 3 of us being in the same room, presenting equal target opportunities. My wife will call 911 and I'll be in the hallway protecting them.

My $350 ruger can drop an intruder the same as a $1,500 race gun.

There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". I've put over a thousand rounds through my Ruger P94 and my Springfield XD; without problems. They will both work in defence situations.

this