Matt

How do I legally give away a box of 20 round of HP ammo?

I know you guys are going to think I'm being a baby, but i'm going to be moving alot over the next few years for work and don't feel like dealing with worrying about HP ammo laws during this time (yes I know they are legal). Since I only have one small box of 20 Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection .45 ACP to get rid of I figure the best bet is to give them away instead of just shooting off good self defence ammo just for the sake of getting rid of it. I know there are more laws regarding HP ammo, how can I legally give them away?

You are confusing the state rules about showing NJ Firearms Purchaser's ID for purchasing ammo that can be used in a handgun. If you gave them to someone at the range or at your house, and had them show you their NJ FID, I believe that would satisfy even the most restrictive interpretation of the law. Of course, IANAL, so the advice is worth what you paid for it.

Since the legality of transporting is a problem given it can only be kept in your home or brought to a range (or your place of business) the only thing barring you from giving it away legally, is where you give it away. Best bet, your home or a range to give it away, as any other meeting place could be construed as a deviation from legally transporting to an allowable placxe for that ammo. I know its crazy, but this is nj after all

Since the legality of transporting is a problem given it can only be kept in your home or brought to a range (or your place of business) the only thing barring you from giving it away legally, is where you give it away. Best bet, your home or a range to give it away, as any other meeting place could be construed as a deviation from legally transporting to an allowable placxe for that ammo. I know its crazy, but this is nj after all

If he gives it to someone at his home...doesn't the transport problem now fall on the reciever since it's not really a "purchase"?

Im in bayonne..can pick up. I work in jersey city. Pm me wjere in jc you are

don't give it to this guy.. he is a cop trying to set you up... the second you hand over the ammo the NJSP are going to come in through the windows guns blazing..

lol

Find a guy who wants it and say "here, take this"

^^THIS^^

I understand NJ guns laws are rediculous, but some people really over complicate some things.

Just sell it as nascar said. Sell it for a quarter, and give the guy a receipt.

(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold.