Old Glock guy

Interesting historical perspective on gun control laws

Ann Coulter frequently provides astute observation and analysis of current issues IMHO, and her column this week is a strong pro Second Amendment piece that I think many of you will find interesting:

http://www.anncoulte....html#read_more

"Dr. Martin Luther King, who was, among other things, a Christian minister, applied for a gun permit, but the Alabama authorities found him unsuitable." I assume he was applying for a permit to acquire...or maybe a carry permit ?

'Permit to acquire" laws for firearms were put in place to 'filter out' certain classes of people. These laws started out mainly in the Southern States, North Carolina for example. To buy a pistol in NC. one must go to the sheriff to apply for permit to aquire. The problem in NC. is that the standards vary from county to county often at the whim of the sheriff. If one has a CPL they can bypass that requirement.

My opinion is that 'permit to acquire' laws are based on racism. I'm still surprised how laws like the 1911 Sullivan Law and the NJ FID law in 1966 were allowed to stand.

Maybe someone can come up with some kind of answer....

Given their history of persecution, why are so many Blacks and Jews in the anti-gun camp.

I know of numerous exceptions but as a whole I believe this to be true. Or is it city folks vs country folks thing?

I've spent my whole life on the east coast and may have limited exposure.

Given their history of persecution, why are so many Blacks and Jews in the anti-gun camp.

I know of numerous exceptions but as a whole I believe this to be true. Or is it city folks vs country folks thing?

It boggles me as well. :icon_e_confused:

ignorance....try telling a screaming liberal black that MLK was a registered REPUBLICAN (As was Rosa Parks)...The so-called "LEaders" of the black community havw managed to re-enslave their fellows..putting them firmly back onto a plantation, just one of votes and Entitlements rather than Farming and Chains...... Hell Take a look at Professional Sports, (NBA is probably the worst) where Players are Routinely "Traded" to other teams..if that isnt one step up from "Selling" i dont know what is.

She might be right with this article but the woman is just awful. She's no better than Bill Maher in my opinion.

because she's right?

She speaks the truth, and I guess some on the left like yourself can't handle it. Sorry bro

because she's right?

She speaks the truth, and I guess some on the left like yourself can't handle it. Sorry bro

Actually reread the piece. It's just conservative propaganda. She's. O better than the liberal media just on the other side. Sorry bro I just take the middle ground.

She states no one born in the last 60 years has any idea about American history and blames the teachers. She's pretty wrong on the assessment. You want to look at the real reason public education is going downhill blame your precious Republican Bush and the NCLB act.

middle ground to me means you have no stance

I have a lot of "stance". Just not left or right. Some things I believe you guys would think is left and other things are far right. I just don't follow a party. I follow the issues that are important to me and affect my life and the lives of those around me. I think blindly supporting a party is unamerican. Plus I believe neither party represents us anymore. We can't even get decent candidates to run for either party anymore. The last 20-30 years in this country have been a disgrace thanks to BOTH parties. Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they could see what's become of us.

http://jpfo.org/

I also think people like Ann Coulter and Bill Maher and the likes do nothing to help us. They spew verbal garbage in an attempt to further divide us, which seems to be working.

It's why the 1st amendment was created, and it's rhetoric that hasn't changed since this country was created.

It's why the 1st amendment was created, and it's rhetoric that hasn't changed since this country was created.

I think a lot has changed since this country was created Ray. The media has gotten so out of control that it's nearly impossible to weed through the bs. There used to be integrity in reporting and now any @sshole with a talk show is somehow an "expert". It's sad what this country has become.

Mark, I agree with much of what you say. Ann Coulter's job is to piss some people off, while firing other people up. If she were not controversial, she wouldn't have a job. While I agree with her more often than not, I can see how she can be offensive, so I would not normally post her blog. But in this case, I thought she made some interesting points about the history of gun control efforts which would be of interest to our group.

I think a lot has changed since this country was created Ray. The media has gotten so out of control that it's nearly impossible to weed through the bs. There used to be integrity in reporting and now any @sshole with a talk show is somehow an "expert". It's sad what this country has become.

Not really. Think about it.