TheWombat

Walther PPS

I have an idea - how about a pocket gun meet event?! Folks that have pocket guns help NJGF select what is best for them? That way we have a side-by-side comparison. I just ordered a G22 and a month after would like to pickup a pocket gun. Lets get a name and brand/model list created :-)

Serious buyers take preference in the line up.

Both seem to be good options, more personal preference as to which is preferred including what style of magazine release works for you.

TheWombat

That and eventual availability of aftermarket accessories. Truth be told, I've run about a thousand rounds through the PPS and still find myself less than efficient on mag changes. Granted, it isn't meant to be a game or a range gun, yet I find myself wishing for a more conventional mag release regardless.

-

That and eventual availability of aftermarket accessories. Truth be told, I've run about a thousand rounds through the PPS and still find myself less than efficient on mag changes. Granted, it isn't meant to be a game or a range gun, yet I find myself wishing for a more conventional mag release regardless.

-

The mag release is one of the reasons I went for the PPS rather than the Shield, since my other main firearms are PPQ and HK45 which both have the paddle style magazine release.

For someone who typically goes for Glocks/M&Ps etc I'd have thought the new M&P Shield is likely to rate higher than the PPS.

TheWombat

The mag release is one of the reasons I went for the PPS rather than the Shield, since my other main firearms are PPQ and HK45 which both have the paddle style magazine release.

And it has the advantage of being ambidextrous. It's just a bit difficult to retrain oneself when shooting mainly 1911s :)

-

With 150 rounds shot last weekend and the LimbSaver, Theis holster and spare magazines arriving during this week I decided to take the Walther PPS to the Urban Pistol level 3 class at Gun For Hire Area 51 outdoor range.

I shot 616 rounds of Speer Lawman 124gr/115gr without any failures at all. This was shooting two handed strong side and weak side, one handed strong side and weak side, lying prone, lying on my back, gun canted over to shoot through barricades, shooting while moving etc etc. Other than a few drops of oil on the slide rails at 300 rounds during the lunch break the Walther was used throughout the day with no cleaning or maintenance.

The LimbSaver worked very well. I maintained a good grip throughout even with the warm sunny weather and have no pain/tenderness in my palm.

The end of the class was a chance to shoot at IDPA sized steel targets from 50 and 60 yards. Even with the short sight radius of the Walther PPS I was still hitting the steel 40%-50% of the time.

Picture of the Walther PPS with the LimbSaver fitted over the grip tape

IMG_0531.jpg

I'm very impressed with the little Walther.

TheWombat

Straight from the GFH class today after shooting 616 rounds, so hasn't been cleaned yet.

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

With the sun setting I don't have the best light for photos in the house. Let me know if you want others and I'll take some tomorrow in the day light.

TheWombat

If you typically shoot firearms with the traditional style button magazine release then the XDs may be a better option?

I find when I transition between my PPQ/PPS/HK45 to my Sig/Ed Brown I keep trying to use a paddle magazine release instead of the button. If you're looking to carry the PPS/XDs then better to go with the magazine release you are more used to in case you need to use it in a hurry.

The PPS is very nice though... You're welcome to meet me at RTSP some time and give it a go with the LimbSaver.

TheWombat

Wombat, is that shortie rail on the PPS practical at all? I figure a Lasermax Micro would fit...

It is usable, see below for photos with my Viridian C5L and X5L gen 2 (note I didn't bother to change the brackets on the X5L hence the overhang of the brackets). Viridian light/lasers are quite pricey (~$300) however they have just launched the CTL tactical light (without a laser) which is the same size as the C5L and half the price (~$150). http://www.viridiang...-tactical-light

Even the C5L adds a noticeable amount of weight to the front of the PPS, and also some width. I typically wouldn't carry the PPS in an IWB holster with a light however I expect it wouldn't actually cause any problems.

PPS with Viridian C5L

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

PPS with Viridian X5L gen 2

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

hth

TheWombat

A quick visit to RTSP today to try some HollowPoints (Speer Gold Dot) and check recheck holster etc means I'm now > 850 rounds through the PPS and liking it more and more. The Speer Gold Dots (124gr +P) have noticeably more kick than the Speer Lawman 124gr. While I shot over 600 rounds last Sunday at the GFH class without any discomfort to my hand (thanks to the LimbSaver) I definitely would not want to shoot 600 Gold Dot +Ps in a single day.

Some extra photos of the holster and how it fits. I find even with just jeans and a somewhat fitted t-shirt the PPS remains easy to conceal for me.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

The blood on the back of the holster is from my injury at last week's GFH class

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0607a.jpg

IMG_0605a.jpg

I very much like how the slide lock is protected from accidental use, there is a slight extension to the shape of the frame beneath the slide lock.

IMG_0619.jpg

TheWombat

Is it just me or does it look like that holster's digging into your side a LOT?

It's due to taking the photos myself with one hand as MrsWombat was doing errands. The holster doesn't actually dig in and is comfortable enough to wear for 10+ hours with no issues.

:-)

TheWombat

I'm just about to reach 3 months of ownership of the Walther PPS and during this time I've passed over 1200 rounds including 110 Speer Gold Dot 124+P Hollowpoints. I've found the PPS to be far more accurate for a 'small' firearm than I expected. I put 'small' as it is fairly large compared to some of its competitors.

During the 3 months it has had some fairly heavy usage including shooting over 600 rounds in a single day at the GunForHire Urban Pistol 3 class. This class included one handed shooting/reloading, shooting in/around/over barricades, shooting while moving etc and the PPS performed perfectly. The class ended with some target practice at ~60 or so yards where it was still able to hit the steel targets with ease.

I have also taken the PPS across the state line and made use of my CCW license when driving down to Atlanta and back for a few days vacation. Using the Theis IWB holster it was easy to conceal the Walther PPS with just jeans and a t-shirt. While I could feel the weight of the PPS on my belt it is an easy firearm to carry.

My modifications/accessories to the PPS so far are:

• Theis IWB holster
  • Meprolight night sights
  • Limbsaver
  • BT guide rod (on order)

For someone who uses (and likes) the Walther PPQ then the Walther PPS is a natural choice for a carry firearm due to the similar magazine release lever.

The negatives for the Walther PPS are:

• Magazines are expensive, somewhat fragile and also have a fairly large base that can get caught in clothing etc
  • PPS is fairly large compared to other small 9mm single stack firearms
  • Limited accessories

The positives are:

• Surprisingly accurate
  • Easy to shoot
  • Easy to conceal as IWB (it is not really a pocketable firearm)

Overall I am very pleased with the Walther PPS.

TheWombat

I bought a PPS earlier this month. I love it. I have noticed thought that end the safety insert in the trigger is pointy and gives me a blister after about 150 rounds. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm considering taking to a gunsmith to get smoothed out.

I bought a PPS earlier this month. I love it. I have noticed thought that end the safety insert in the trigger is pointy and gives me a blister after about 150 rounds. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm considering taking to a gunsmith to get smoothed out.

I shot > 600 rounds on one day without any issues, so can't say I've noticed during the time I've had the PPS.

There have been a few people on the Walther Forum who have commented about the trigger pinching their finger, may be a similar thing to what you are experiencing?

TheWombat

WOMBAT!!!

I haven't seen much of you around here. Was wondering how you're getting along. Your posts are always informative. Glad to "see" you back around.

C

Had a few guests staying with us, however should be somewhat back to normal now :onthequiet:

TheWombat