Sign in to follow this  
OfcrFek

Post Engraving Question...

So I was looking through a magazine, and I saw a cool little saying someone had engraved on an AR-15 ejection port cover. I have a Zastava PAP and wanted to get the saying engraved down the left side of the dust cover. I have a friend who owns a jewelry shop and says he's willing to engrave the saying on my rifle for me. My question is, after he engraves, what do I cover the engraving with to keep the elements out and my rifle from rusting? I searched online and I didn't really find anything that is approved for use on a firearm. Any help is appriciated.

I had thought of nail polish or some other things like that. I am hesitant on putting something like that on my gun cuz even dry, it's extrememely flammable. Now as far as the cold blue, that's an idea. Im fairly certain it's blued and not just black paint (yes, Im still fairly new to the whole firearms thing). However, that raises another question. If my friend starts engraving it, and it is blued, will the paint cut with the metal, or will it begin to chip and look crappy?

only way it would chip is if your gun was nickel plated or something.

if you're gonna touch reblue, which is what I did when my backstraps were engraved on my revolvers, I degreased them with brake cleaner, then used Formula 44/40 Insta Blue to touch it up. Still holds up after 4 years of heavy usage.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1112/Product/FORMULA-44-40-reg-INSTANT-GUN-BLUE