Most legit companies have information about counterfeit goods - for example, L3 / EOTech:

http://www.eotech-in...feit_notice.php

Also, here is a detailed PDF from EOTech with photographs and a side-by-side comparison of real and fake sights:

Counterfeit Alert: L-3 EOTech Holographic Sights

companies that sell this fake garbage are a huge blow to the firearms community.. putting this garbage on the market is a bunch of fail..

I cannot agree more; I don't think people realize how much counterfeits harm a market. Companies that put out fake junk contribute nothing to the shooting community - they do not do R&D and do not bring new products to market, just siphon off funds.

It's your money, but with reputable companies and their budget lines (Bushnell, Nikon, etc.), I don't think there is any good reason to support counterfeit organizations or the vendors who knowingly sell counterfeit goods.

I actually got annoyed enough to contact EOTech regarding this.

Hello - I saw your contact information on the Eotech-inc website and just wanted to inform you that a local gun store in New Jersey (Rayco Armory in Merchantsville, NJ) is selling knock-off EOtech Holosights that are BRANDED as EOTech with the L3 logo as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=406400219388328&set=a.187901571238195.50879.100000550593272&type=1&theater

I actually commented on this photo - they deleted my comment and unfriended me. Just goes to show you that they will do anything to make a quick buck, even selling a chinese-made knockoff for $150 that they could buy for $40.

I hope you take appropriate action regarding this. Thank you.

-Nick Wong

I agree to a certain extent, but understand that mechanical reproduction is fueled by the consumer-- the businesses doing it are just feeding said consumers. If companies had that big of an issue, go after the consumers, not the businesses-- because that would solve nothing.

And by go after the consumer, I mean target your product better (not pursue legal matters, haha). Give people a reason to buy your product over a knock-off.

So, yes, my point is that knock-off companies will always exist. Focus on the core issue, which is providing a great product that people are willing to buy.

I cant agree with these statements because of two reasons

1) I assume Rayco sells real eo-techs, so as a vendor you are doing a disservice to the manufacturer by selling blatent copies of their product even badged as so.

2) EOTech makes a great product and when you get word of mouth recommendations like they do, theor product sells itself. Marketing failure is not the issue as people will purchase an purchase a product for branding whether it is legit or not. Rayco is pushing trademark infringed products, that is not proper business ethics of a company that is a client to the real company.

I actually got annoyed enough to contact EOTech regarding this.

I emailed Eotech about this yesterday too, and sent them a screenshot of the post in case it gets removed. I have bought things from them before but I will probably stop patronizing them now.

Perhaps the legality is different in this example, but stuff like this is fairly common in airsoft. Since one of the draws to the sport is that airsoft guns are modeled after real guns, trademarks are, to many, a HUGE deal when deciding on an airsoft gun/gear. (I am not one of those people). For the most part, companies like Umarex, and Cybergun have most of the trademark agreements. This causes a problem in the airsoft community since (well, Umarex is decent) cybergun also generally sells some crappy guns.

You'd be surprised how infrequently trademarks are enforced in this situation. Even when they are, it's usually cybergun who would push for the legal action, and not the real manufacturer. For instance, mid-upper grade airsoft company Echo1 was banned from Shotshow by Cybergun since Echo1 used some trademarks that Cybergun held the rights to. CG issued a restraining order from SHOT show, and I believe also filed for a "Cease and Desist". (admittedly E1 outsources work to Chinese airsoft manufacturers, with minor Spec. changes, yet label themselves an American airsoft company) However, for the most part E1 has better quality products than CG. However, since most airsofters get wrapped up in the whole trademark issue, E1 decided to risk the legal action, and use them anyway, since CG holds a monopoly on using real trades.

In otherwords, I wouldn't be surprised if this just flies under the radar. Most likely it is not a well known company producing these clones (unlike E1) and it would be hard for EOtech to point the finger. They may file some sort of motion if the clones are of REALLY shoddy quality, since that tarnishes their image, but unless these things really take off, I doubt suing the company is high on EOtech's agenda.

They can't sue these companies in general since they are all in china where there are no trademark and licensing laws, however, they can sue US retailers who sell the copies, or US based businesses who make the products in chine for export to the US. i have never seen knock offs sold in retail, only on ebay.

I agree to a certain extent, but understand that mechanical reproduction is fueled by the consumer-- the businesses doing it are just feeding said consumers. If companies had that big of an issue, go after the consumers, not the businesses-- because that would solve nothing.

And by go after the consumer, I mean target your product better (not pursue legal matters, haha). Give people a reason to buy your product over a knock-off. Whether that's price, or a marketing campaign. Look at the big-name training groups... Magpul used Aimpoints (mostly), SGM Lamb uses EOTechs and Leupold (or at least gave them a vote of confidence), LAV uses Aimpoints (or irons I guess). All pretty effective marketing campaigns.

As for kicking down prices, look at what Aimpoint did with the PRO, basically listing an optic geared for the LE for relatively cheaper than their other products. Of course the optic is acquirable by civilians, but the fact that they geared it for LE only juiced up the product (along with the price)... same how if you paint something black you can call it tactical (and the masses will come a knockin')-- same with "zombie gear," haha.

Primary Arms is unique in that they must have friends in warehouses where the big-name companies get their parts from. They've actually acknowledged this to a certain degree themselves before on a forum (I'll link it if I can find it). Its the reason why I have no problems recommending Primary Arms because I know its quality parts (plus they're great guys).

So, yes, my point is that knock-off companies will always exist. Focus on the core issue, which is providing a great product that people are willing to buy.

companies selling counterfeit items are breaking laws to some degree are they not..

Knowingly selling a counterfeit item is a criminal offense.

The federal criminal laws that prohibit any person from trafficking in counterfeit goods and services apply not only to the counterfeiter—the law applies with equal force to any individual or company that knowingly sells a counterfeit product. (18 U.S.C. 2320). This law, known as the Trademark Counterfeiting Act of 1984, carries substantial monetary fines (up to $5 million) and prison time (up to 20 years imprisonment or in some cases life) for individuals and companies who violate the Act.

http://www.naw.org/govrelations/advisory.php?articleid=563

It's deff illegal. I live near cowtown and every once in a while they run a bust and nail all the guys in there selling fake stuff. I think it's customs that does it. I'd hate to lose a local gun shop over it so hopefully they decide to do the right thing and stop selling them. I assume doing that in a nj gun store would not be looked at lightly.

when people say

"why do gun shops have such bad reputations"

I am going to go out on a limb and say that selling counterfeit shit does not help your argument.. remember that crazy lady who tried to get them shut down.. and they argued they were honest law abiding citizens.. right..

Knowingly selling a counterfeit item is a criminal offense.

The federal criminal laws that prohibit any person from trafficking in counterfeit goods and services apply not only to the counterfeiter—the law applies with equal force to any individual or company that knowingly sells a counterfeit product. (18 U.S.C. 2320). This law, known as the Trademark Counterfeiting Act of 1984, carries substantial monetary fines (up to $5 million) and prison time (up to 20 years imprisonment or in some cases life) for individuals and companies who violate the Act.

http://www.naw.org/g...p?articleid=563

I was going to search for this today, thanks for doing the foot work. :clapping:

May get some flak for this, but why does everyone care THAT much? I mean, it's not like they're passing off the counterfeits as real, which would be screwing the customer, and if they get busted for it, that's on them. I mean, I'm just surprised people are THAT upset over them stocking this, sure it's a clone, but not everyone needs to drop $400 on a sight, if you don't like the sight, don't buy it.

Just my $0.02