Sign in to follow this  
kickup

help scope for 30-06 out to 300 yds.

I just got a us model of 1917 30-06 that was sporterized and want to scope it.. want to do casual but accurate target shooting out to 300 yds max and maybe some hog hunting...i want to get a good one but not go crazy price wise( don't want cheap) i have never bought a high power scope before so I am looking for suggestions on specs and brands

Thanks to all who reply

If you are going for hogs, you are going to want something with a variable zoom like 2x-7x / 3x-9x. Fast target aquisition up close and precision at a distance. Bushnell's 3200 series offers a lot of quality for the money. Check Natchez Shooting for excellent deals on scopes like Nikon's and Bushnells. SWFA is a good company to work with too. Check out their bargain bin or returns section for some killer deals.

Nikon pro staff in my eyes is the best scope for the money out.

Shawn I'm in somewhat agreement. But a less known Japanese not Chinese scope that is a lot of bang for the buck is Sightron. They are referred to as the poor man's Nightforce. The nice thing about Sightron is the adjustments are touted to be very repeatable which I can attest to.

What a number of others have suggested: Go with a variable, with enough magnification to differentiate the scoring rings at 300 yds. (not really necessary unless you want such precision) that can switch to low power for a wide field of view for hunting game up close. A 2x7 or 3x9 variable of good quality would be ideal, but I see higher magnifications in use more than I did years ago. As scopes go higher in magnification their objection bell may grow in size, necessitating higher rings for clearance and sometimes more weight to lug around. You have to find the right balance, that's why I suggested as Wojo those two scope configurations. (I'm partial to a 1.5 x 5 for some applications but that's me.) There are plenty of good brands to choose from. You can spend a lot of money on a scope if you desire. Or just enough and still get a good one that fits your needs.

My friend shot a moose last fall in Alaska. Rifle was a .375 H&H and the range was just a tad over 300 yds. The scope on his rifle was a Leupold 1.5 x 5. Small compared to modern optics seen today on some rigs but it's the rifleman that makes the difference with any limitation.

Look at Redfield. Redfield is now owned by Leupold, same quality and much more affordable. They are great scopes.

A variable power will help for hunting, hogs tend to be closer shots. Depending on where you go 30-06 may be big for hogs.