this_is_nascar

Suggest a Smartphone

I've been the owner of cell phones for years, however I've never owned a smartphone. My wife and I are both up for renewal with Verizon. I really have no interests in changing providers, so we'd want a phone that works with the Verizon network. I don't think the existence or lack of 4G on the phone is a deal-breaker either.

The top two that seem to be on the "must-have" list is the Apple iPhone 4S and the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX. I don't believe I have a preference on one OS over the other, since I've never had a smartphone to begin with. The size of the RAZR MAXX seems to be pretty large, but I love the reported battery life it seems to be getting. How about it? What can you folks recommend?

I have the Razr Maxx and it is, without a doubt, the best smart phone I've owned. The wife has the Razr (not maxx) and she charges the phone every two days. With a considerable number of emails, text messages and some web use, I use about 20% of the battery each day. She charges it up each night, or every two nights depending on use. Even if 4G is not part of your criteria, it is much quicker than 3G.

Wow. So much great information and feedback. I'm sure once I actually see, feel and touch the 4S and MAXX, that will help in my decision. I'm not necessarily ruling out any of the other suggestions, but these were the (2) that really stood out with the little bit of research I've done so far. My son and his wife are the only ones in the my family that have a smartphone and they each have the iPhone 4 with Verizon and they love theirs. As far as applications, from what I can tell, anyone that releasing an app nowadays is doing so for both operating systems, so I'm not sure applications will be a deciding factor.

iPhone 4/4S have had the lowest return or exchange rates and I personally think are easier to use for first-time smartphone people. It's only 3G technology, but you mentioned it wasn't a deal breaker. Having sold these things for quite a few years now, I think you should go with the iPhone, even though I swear by Android. Currently using the LG Spectrum, came from Thunderbolt, Droid 2, and original Droid. Go to a store, play with some phones, then make a decision. Don't get suckered by a sales rep, lol. If you need any advice on your phone/account/bill, PM me.

My 5 year old (now 6) can easily use the iPod touch, which works just like an iPhone, without the phone. In other words, they are so simple that someone who cannot read can use one.

But they are also very powerful and can do just about anything you could reasonably expect. There has never been a time when I wanted to talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time.

Verizon requires you to pay $20 a month to use your phone as a hotspot, though that fee is not part of the contract and can be started and stopped at any time. Any smartphone should have the capability to act as a mobile hotspot.

Oh they can. It's just the companies want to charge you. Just jailbreak and do it for free.

I'd say go for the iPhone. My wife is a technophobe. I made her get one and now she won't put it down. Plus, you can always walk into any Apple store if you have any question or problem. Keep in mind, the new iPhone is probably coming this Summer.

I meant that pretty much any smartphone has the capability to do it, just that it's disabled unless you pay for the service.

Jailbreaking/rooting is not 100%. Last summer Verizon shut down a number of apps that would allow a rooted phone to create a hotspot and bypass their fee.

I've got android devices and phones (work) and an iPhone (pay for it myself).

Android has gotten better. If you do go android, 100% get something running ice cream sandwich. It's approaching good enough that you don't care if upgrades are coming. Because they probably won't and if they do it probably won't be in a timely manner. Most of the android ecosystem is effectively treated as an end of life product somewhere between day one and six months. My android phone had crippling bugs on day one, and has had all of two updates. One of which is a giant pita to install requiring downloading a pc program, finding a windows pc running 32 bit xp or vista, installing the right drivers for the phone, and crossing your fingers and hoping you don't get the magic driver error that makes it think the update is not applicable to the phone. Then you are stuck trying to clean out the registry after uninstall so you can try again. The manufacturer moved on after six months and is never going to finish fixing the software problems. ICS is way less broken, and the marketplace is maturing nicely. On my transformer prime I can live with it. The tricky part is finding hardware that doesnt have a sneaky issue like a crap gps antenna, wifi antenna, etc.

The iPhone will be better supported over the full two years. iTunes is a turd, but it isn't really needed anymore past activation of the phone, and even if you do use it, it is functional but awkward, not completely broken. My 3GS got updates the whole 2.5 years I had it.

Apple products do not do flash. Android does. The Maxx does not have ICS right now, but it is supposed to be coming in about a month or so according to leaked memos from VZW. I thought not having ICS on the Razr would be a deal breaker for me since I really wanted the Galaxy Nexus, but it's really not that bad without it. It will be that much better when it does get it.

I personally am not a fan of Apple products, but know plenty of people who are. To me it's a personal preference thing, so I'm not going to start a flame war. I suggest going to the store, or better yet finding someone you know with the phone, and just play with it for a while. Both Android and iOS can be operated by nearly anyway, 4 years old or otherwise. I wouldn't worry about the ease of use because even with something difficult, it will only take a little bit of time to get used to it, but neither are difficult to use at all.

I guess that's a good thing in my case,since I don't know what ICS is, I have no way of missing it :), so that won't be a deal breaker for me either. They just opened a new Verizon Authorized Retail store a mile or so from me. They're new enough where the don't get much store traffic as of yet.. I think I'll head over there this morning to have chance to touch/feel the 4S, the MAXX and whatever else they have.

As it relates to size, I watched a few YouTube videos last night on both the 4S and the MAXX. By itself, the MAXX didn't look too large, but when I saw a video that had the 4S and MAXX side by side, the MAXX looks very large. That may not be an issue for me either, since I have larger hands. The folks that held the standard RAZR who then held the MAXX, seemed to like the feel of the thinker MAXX in their hand.

I've read that the MAXX does not have ICS. That seems to be a big complaint about that particular phone. Does the 4S do Adobe Flash? I believe the MAXX does.

Apple doesn't do flash. Flash sucks on android though. Yeah, for websites that still rely on flash for basic things they shouldn't like menus, it's nice to have. That's not very common anymore. It helps a little with embedded video that is flash based and not using HTML5 as a wrapper. That's only a little more common now. The main thing it helps with are flash graphical elements on product pages. Pretty much everything else flash you cna see on android, but the flash isn't coded to dealw ith teh touch interface. For exmple, truecar.com ahs a nice flash interface. Iphone can't see it. Android can, but can't manipulate it properly due to touch.

Flash is less of a killer app on android than it should be.

Like I said, with ICS, they are approching parity with usability. They do some things different, and either will seem harder coming from the opposing platform you are used to. For someone who is a blank slate, it should all be about the same.

My main problem with android is summed up in this chart. It's a bit dated, but the problem hasn't gotten much better.

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Besides the cost of the phone, what am I looking at as far a plan costs? I'd almost guarantee my current plan went away sometime ago, so they'll make me go on another plan. Right now, I think I have the 750-min per month shared between my wife and I plan. I recall it being $69 per month for the 1st phone and $10 for the 2nd line. I guess I'll be forced into a data plan too. Isn't that $30+ per month and then someone mentioned another $20 per month for hotspot capability. What about for GPS navigation and E-Mail? They don't charge extra for that on top of the data package costs,do they? I think I pay $10 per month additional now for VZ Navigator and E-Mail on the one phone, mine.

Besides the cost of the phone, what am I looking at as far a plan costs? I'd almost guarantee my current plan went away sometime ago, so they'll make me go on another plan. Right now, I think I have the 750-min per month shared between my wife and I plan. I recall it being $69 per month for the 1st phone and $10 for the 2nd line. I guess I'll be forced into a data plan too. Isn't that $30+ per month and then someone mentioned another $20 per month for hotspot capability. What about for GPS navigation and E-Mail? They don't charge extra for that on top of the data package costs,do they? I think I pay $10 per month additional now for VZ Navigator and E-Mail on the one phone, mine.

Since you don't already have a data plan, they'll put you on the $30/mo for 2GB data plan per phone. That's on top of the voice/messaging plan you choose. If you want the mobile hotspot feature, it's an extra $20/mo with adds another 2GB to your monthly limit. GPS and E-mail are included in the base data package as long as you use Google Maps and not VZ Navigator.

I currently pay ~$150/mo for 2 smartphones on the cheapest voice plan w/ unlimited messaging. I also have discounts on that though through my job, so your final cost may be a little higher.

As far as which phone you should get, everyone seems to be screaming to get what they have, but you just need to play with them and see what works best for you. Since you're impartial to operating systems, both will be easy to get used to, and after getting used to one, the other will seem impossible. I know people who love their i-Devices and others who love their Android devices. I'm an android person myself. As for the MAXX seeming big, it does seem that way at first, but it fits in your hand surprisingly well unless you have small hands.

Good luck.

The iPhone 4g is coming, but if it doesn't matter then get one now. I would go with the iPhone for sure. If you want a phone / tablet then look into the Samsung Galaxy Note. It will be in the U.S. soon and is the size of your checkbook. Really cool. Ceck out reviews on YouTube.

I have the iPhone 4S. I think right now depending on how close you are to a major city 4G isn't even possible. Still very limited coverage.

http://network4g.ver...com/#!/coverage and click "4G LTE Cities" on right.

I had a Blackberry before and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I messed around with a few Droids from family and friends and didn't like them. The iPhone was small, great quality screen, never seemed to slow down on anything, and was exactly what I wanted. Plus the largest selection of apps. I would in no way consider myself an Apple fanboy, but the iPhone won me over.

I've heard good thing about the Samsung Galaxy series but I believe they're not on Verizon. Only other phone I would have considered other than the iPhone.

The iPhone 4g is coming, but if it doesn't matter then get one now. I would go with the iPhone for sure. If you want a phone / tablet then look into the Samsung Galaxy Note. It will be in the U.S. soon and is the size of your checkbook. Really cool. Ceck out reviews on YouTube.

I had the iphone 3g/s and 4/4s, great phones... the galaxy note came out November 2011, great phone I had for a about 2 months, but it is so big I wasn't comfortable talking on it, sold it and bought me the LG thrill 3d phone... my next phone is either the iPhone 5 when it cones out, depending on the style and features, or a phone with the android 4.0+(ics OS)

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

I'd buy a few extras now, because they're not going to be around forever...

Please do. Black berry has already announced that they are getting out of the consumer market and will instead be concentrating only on the business sector.The very inability to compete in the smart phone touch screen market has curtailed their future sales.

To be honest, prior to posting this thread, I had my mind made up to get the iPhone. Mostly because of how much my son talks about his, in addition to the fact that 10's of millions can't be wrong. Then, when I read about the battery capability of the MAXX, I was like WOW. Coming from a feature phone that will literally go a week without me charging it is great. I understand that's because I can't do hardly anything but use my phone as a phone and with the smartphone, there's the apps, etc. For you iPhone guys, are you at least getting an entire full day from a charge? I think I could live with only needing to charge the phone each night, overnight, however if 4pm come along and I find myself needed to charge my phone, that's not going to cut it for me.