tblant

590A1 with L3 Insight forend / light

I went to Luciano's for the first time during lunch on Wednesday and held the Mossberg 590 with light built into the forend. I was impressed. It seemed very solid and the ergonomics were good...the feel and the on/off panels. The price was $599...bead sight, heat shield, and Insight light in forend.

But then a poster on this forum turned me on to BeamLokr today and I have been reading and watching reviews. If I was in war, I would pass on BeamLokr but I feel it serves a role for home defense.

I still have no money and probably need to wait until tax refund so the research continues.

Luciano's was nice...look forward to going back.

I'm very hesitant to buy 'accessories' already installed on one of my guns. I don't like that you're stuck with it and it never fails I am not a fan of the accessory and end up having to buy what I prefer.

With that said, the forearm-integrated light is nice, but it looks like the light is installed inside the forearm which kinda sucks.

IMO the Surefire 6v forearm is better. Instead of the bulb and batteries being inside the forearm, which I don't really like on this 590 that's posted, you can customize it to your liking. That means you can put any flashlight you want in it. You can switch flashlights down the road if you want, you can replace it easily if it breaks, or just take it out if you don't want a flashlight down the road etc etc.

If I were you, I'd buy a stock 590 and then customize it the way you want.

I held this at CMO , they had a few 590s and did not understand I was looking for a 590A1, and lo and behold they found two 590A1s (both I did not want). One was a 18.5" bbl w/ 3-dot rifle sights, the other was the 590A1 Light Forend. I have to say I did not like the feel of it. I cannot explain why, i just did not like that lighted forend. And of course you are paying extra for it, or shall I say I would have been, paying for something I didn't like at all.

I would MUCH RATHER for example, take my Magpul-customized 870 Tactical and put a Streamlight TLR-1HP on the forend by adding a small picatinny rail section on the top front of the forend, and then maybe just run a remote switch or maybe not. I would really prefer this than the lighted forend.