Lalo

North Jersey Clay Target Gun CLub - Trap Shooting

Does anyone here do any clay shooting at this place on Horseneck road in Fairfield? I pass by it every day to/from work and have been dying to try it out. I've gone inside and asked questions and the people there seem pretty friendly. I think they said the price was $7 to shoot and I think $7 for 25 clays? (cant remember but it didn't sound too expensive). The only problem I see is that most of the people there looked like pros and were shooting to keep score and were submitting their stats and whatnot so I don't want to be the only DBag on the line shooting trap for the first time messing with other people's flow.

Any regulars of this place want to meet up to show me the ropes? I've shot the shotty plenty of times (taken classes, etc) but never shot trap in my life.

Don't know of the place, but just go and watch what they're doing. I would bet it is $7 per round. Most places are $3.50 to $4.50 for 25 clays, you supply the ammo. It is an easy game to play, but not always easy to hit the clays!

You will need a shotgun suitable for the sport, no short barrels, some places won't even let you shoot a shotgun without at least a 26" barrel. You need a box of #7 1/2 or #8 shells. You also need a bag to wear on your hip to hold the shells. If you try without a vest or bag for the shells and keep moving your box along the ground, they are going to give you the EVIL EYE for sure! :)

The old coots will welcome a pump or better yet a over/under. With a pump you can control where the empty shell goes. A semi auto is going to kick the shells out wherever and god-forbid your shell hits a $10K gun! When I used a Rem 1100 I had a clip on it that stopped the shell from hitting the person to my right. Not all semis can get that clip though..............

Anyway, go check it out and have fun! Plenty of places in NJ/PA to shoot Trap that are open to the public.

I have gone there several times, its a great place. I am no pro, actually just started this year.

price is $7/round of 25 clays for non members and $4/round for members (membership is $150/year). To me this is a reasonable price compare to what I have seen elsewhere.

nice place, very convenient open Tues-Thurs, Sat and Sun, closed Mon and Fridays

People are very accomodating, I went there just starting out trap shooting. Everyone is very serious there, but willing to help the new guy out

There are alot of guys with very expensive guns. I use a semi with a shell catcher.

another good place further north is Thunder Mountain, they have trap and skeet and you can rent a gun there, but it is at the very northern tip of NJ. They have instructors who give pointers. I went there my first couple of times, since then I have go to North Jersey Clay Club.

Not sure when I will go next, but will try to PM you.

Thanks for your replies. I'm actually all set as far as the equipment is concerned and have passed by twice to look around so I think I understand what I need to do. I really would just rather pass by and shoot casually by myself until I get comfortable and actually know what I'm doing before I jump into a live round.

Let me know if anyone would want to pass by one of these days to shoot the breeze and try things out. I was tempted to stop by after work today since the place was actually pretty empty but I have to help my sister move this evening. I'll be hitting the Bullet Hole tomorrow morning to get my gunning fix for the weekend.

I shot here occasionally on weekends many years ago back in the seventies and eighties, when it was nothing more than a plowed patch of dirt in the middle of a field. Many of the shooters then were from the town and these same residents were also members of the hunt club that had hunting rights to that property along Rt. 80. I worked only a half-mile away, but at the time their hours and times were very limited. My company (TRW) had a trap club, and we shot in a trap league every Thursday night a little further west at a nice club called Troy Meadows. Fairfield had a team and I remember shooting against them in our league. (The Northern Zone ATA State shoots were held at Troy Meadows years ago.) The DEP/state closed down Troy Meadows some time ago because it was along watershed property and they were concerned about lead contamination.

The Fairfield Club is really nice today. Doesn't look at all like I remember it.

http://www.northjers...targetclub.com/

http://www.claytarge...m/club.php/1224

ive heard from a lot of people that its nothing but a bunch of pros and grumpy old men who dont have time for someone who wants to give it a shot. Especially with a semi.

Don't let that bother you. Those grumpy old men who may be "pro's" now, but at one time were young and inexperienced. Today they get more annoyed at someone breaking the rhythm of the line and interrupting their cadence vs. not knowing what to do. If the shooter's are true ambassadors for their sport, they will graciously help you if you announce to them that you are a beginner and "would they mind a neophyte squading with them?"

Listen, shotgun sports tend to be dominated by the "old farts" on the local level. These guys were young once, 100 years ago. ;) They also know their bodies and eyes aren't what they used to be. For the sport to continue the "wet behind the ears" people have to get involved in the sport. As long as you are safe and courteous they will eventually let you become one of the gang.

To me, Skeet is a social event, 5 guys in a group, only one shooting at a time, the other 4 BS-ing in the background waiting for their turn. Trap is more serious, no talking on the line (especially with voice-activated throwers!), but you will have groups sitting in the background talking about life. Sporting Clays are for you and one to three more people (typically) spending the day together and getting-away from life (and maybe the wife). Ha, I bring my wife with me, not trying to hide from her. I love the guys that have more fun BS'ing. smoking their stogies, and doing a little shooting at the Sporting Clays places, just enjoying peace and quiet (guns don't bother us!). :)

In general I have found the people there pretty good and helpful. They are not fond of semi's ejecting the shells all over the place. that is true. But you can get a shell catcher or use a pump.

There have times when I have gone when there are only one or two people per stand, a couple when I was alone.

The people try to be very helpful, they all gave me tips and advice the help me along.

They are serious about their trapshooting but they do try to encourage new commers as well.

I do not think anyone should be scared off or hessitate at all from trying the place out.

I have been a member there for many, many years. Once you pass the newbie grace period you are good to go. You do not have to me a member to shoot there, you can pay per round of trap. Tell the RSO you are a newbie and they will show you the ropes and not pair you with the ringers. You need and help, etc. Just ask me and I will hook you up.

I was actually considering about taking a lesson to cover the basics from Bruce Maxwell. Anyone ever heard of him? He's based out of Connecticut I think but also comes down to North Jersey for private lessons and uses this facility. I want to learn to shoot trap the right way and could use a little more direction than "when it pops up just shoot the bird"... LOL

This is a very nicely well maintained trap range. Highly recommend it to someone who has shot trap before. If you are a true beginner then go with somebody who knows the game of trap shooting or learn informally at Thunder Mtn. by one of the trap caddies.

They are not snobby at Fairfield but some of the old timers get impatient if you dont know the rules and etiquette of the game which is understandable to a certain degree. Also, the grounds are immaculate b/c everyone cleans up their spent hulls after shooting. If you are a piggy or act like an a** then you will not be treated very warmly.

If you want to make the trek to Central Jersey I would be glad to show you the ropes. I shoot at Citizens in the Hightstown area on either Tuesday night or Sunday afternoons. I go to Mallard in Monroe on either Wednesday night or Sunday afternoons. Those are my Trap Shooting hangouts. There are plenty of others around.

As a self employed guy, I never know my schedule. What works for you?

I get out of work at 6pm, will take me 10 mins to run home, pick up gear, and head back so I'd say 6:30pm. Any day during the week is good or on the weekends. (This Thursday they're open from 9am till dark)...

I live in Montville right off Horseneck maybe 2 miles from that range. I'd love to learn that sport but I've been intimidated to go there and I can't figure out why.

I'd be happy to buy cigars, beer, whatever if someone wants to take me thru paces.

I could meet you there at 12 noon during the week if you want to shoot. Let me know. Just want to shoot and I will show you the ropes.

I live in Montville right off Horseneck maybe 2 miles from that range. I'd love to learn that sport but I've been intimidated to go there and I can't figure out why.

I'd be happy to buy cigars, beer, whatever if someone wants to take me thru paces.

I could meet you there at 12 noon during the week if you want to shoot. Let me know. Just want to shoot and I will show you the ropes.

I'll take you up on that. How much notice do you need?

The day before is all I need so I can pack up my gear in the morning to be ready. Wed and Thurs work best.

Darn! Anyone ever go at night or on the weekends? Work ties me down on weekdays till 6pm.

ive heard from a lot of people that its nothing but a bunch of pros and grumpy old men who dont have time for someone who wants to give it a shot. Especially with a semi.

You would be correct.I live about 5 miles from there and have shot there. bring your $20 k OU .They tend to be a little snobby.

But i just ignored them and did my thing. I actually know a couple of the members there.