Targetpractice

picked up an ak47 at a gun show. whats it worth?

Fair enough. It just sucks when everyone jumps all over an OP when it's kind of irrelevant to what the OP is making the thread about, especially when it's a new person or a lurker with a low amount of posts.

no no.. I totally understand your point.. and agree..

BUT this is really the point.. in NJ.. military style semi auto rifles are a touchy game.. and if you are going to play.. you should be well aware of the rules... break them.. and you MAY find yourself in a heap of legal trouble.. that's all..

no no.. I totally understand your point.. and agree.. BUT this is really the point.. in NJ.. military style semi auto rifles are a touchy game.. and if you are going to play.. you should be well aware of the rules... break them.. and you MAY find yourself in a heap of legal trouble.. that's all..

Your right and that's well said. Awareness is key and we all know most of it will come from this forum, which will be taken with a grain of salt of course...but hopefully not a gun shop employee or someone of the sort spreading rumors or whatever.

http://www.njsp.org/...title13ch54.pdf

Click that link and scroll down to page 4 or 5, it will have the law on what an assault rifle is. A rifle that can accept detachable magazines and has at least 2 of the following: blah blah blah.

Not to sound rude but I would not trust your local range either. It's surprising how much ranges or gun shops don't know when it comes to firearm legalities. And when they don't know, they usually start talking out of their rear ends.

cool thanks for the link. just proves the gun IS legal

Target, what gun show did you go to? I'm going to try and get out to one soon

i went to the eagle arms show in oaks, pa

I agree. There's no way a thumb hole stock in sporting configuration can be illegal in NJ. I like the blonde furniture on it BTW.

thanks man

I beg to differ.... NJ does not define "thumbhole stock"

they do however define pistol grip.. and that sure looks like a pistol grip to me..

I respectfully disagree with you interpretation of what a "pistol grip" is - I'm not sure how anyone can say that a thumbhole stock has a: "well defined handle" since it is built into the stock, that it is "similar to that found on a handgun" since it is clearly not (at least with 99% of handguns), or that it "protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" since it is built into the stock.

The NJSP can say what they want about what they think a "pistol grip" is, but it's up to a judge to read and interpret the law. After all, we all know what the NJSP says about proper transporting of firearms, and it's different from the actual law - they're going to tell you what they want the law to be.

They way I see it, that AKM has no evil features.

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes

conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired

with one hand.

*well defined handle similar to that found on a handgun.. the key word.. SIMILAR..

*protrudes conspicuously beneath the action.. well if you know where the action is.. you will see it is in fact beneath the action..

*permits the gun to be fired with one hand.. not comfortably.. or easily.. but with one hand.. and I am sure you could hold that with one hand..

I respectfully disagree with you interpretation of what a "pistol grip" is - I'm not sure how anyone can say that a thumbhole stock has a: "well defined handle" since it is built into the stock, that it is "similar to that found on a handgun" since it is clearly not (at least with 99% of handguns), or that it "protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" since it is built into the stock.

NO WHERE does the definition of pistol grip mention ANYTHING about attaching to a stock.. your argument is one based on emotion.. and not how the law is LITERALLY written..

just remember what SIMILAR means..

not sure where your going with your arguement but this gun is clearly legal from the njsp rules. i dont even know why people are still trolling! legal or illegal wasnt the question! i asked what the gun was worth! so please people! if you cant tell me what the gun is worth than keep your comments to yourself! i know for a fact this gun is legal. you trying to say it isnt just makes you look like an idiot! now lets get back to the topic! whats is worth?

I agree with what Vladtepes is saying. The law isn't vague -- a thumbhole stock meets the criteria of a pistol grip.

I also believe that most LEO will not hassle you on that point. But you run in to the "wrong" Troop and you're going to get arrested.

Even if they drop the charges later you're looking at a few thousand in legal fees at an absolute minimum. They will not keep the rifle in a humidity controlled safe so it will be rusty if and when you get it back from evidence. A felony arrest record can also affect your livelihood if your employer or future employer has access to expunged or sealed records (itself an expensive and time consuming process)

Not that any of this has anything to do with this particular rifle :)

I agree with what Vladtepes is saying. The law isn't vague -- a thumbhole stock meets the criteria of a pistol grip.

I also believe that most LEO will not hassle you on that point. But you run in to the "wrong" Troop and you're going to get arrested.

Even if they drop the charges later you're looking at a few thousand in legal fees at an absolute minimum. They will not keep the rifle in a humidity controlled safe so it will be rusty if and when you get it back from evidence. A felony arrest record can also affect your livelihood if your employer or future employer has access to expunged or sealed records (itself an expensive and time consuming process)

Not that any of this has anything to do with this particular rifle :)

none of this has anything to do with this rifle! its 100% legal! im really getting sick of this thread being off topic! the gun is LEGAL!!!! i didnt ask if it was or isnt! i asked what it is worth!

Nobody is saying your rifle is illegal, The argument is wether or not the thumb hole stock is considered a pistol grip " evil feature" or not.

You may want to shut up and pay attention since this information could be important to you since it may or not be considered an " evil feature " according to state law. If you decide to add another " evil feature " to your rifle and wind up in jail because you didnt want to learn anything.

have a nice day.

none of this has anything to do with this rifle! its 100% legal! im really getting sick of this thread being off topic! the gun is LEGAL!!!! i didnt ask if it was or isnt! i asked what it is worth!

Well if I knew the answer to the actual question I wouldn't be answering questions you didn't ask!

Gunsamerica had a nice one listed for $695, that's a start

http://www.gunsameri..._7_62X39_FE.htm

Here's a guy in PA with a pre-ban model worth over a grand:

http://forum.pafoa.o...ak47-value.html

Nobody is saying your rifle is illegal, The argument is wether or not the thumb hole stock is considered a pistol grip " evil feature" or not.

You may want to shut up and pay attention since this information could be important to you since it may or not be considered an " evil feature " according to state law. If you decide to add another " evil feature " to your rifle and wind up in jail because you didnt want to learn anything.

have a nice day.

ok not once did i say or argue anything about a thumbhole stock or say anything about adding anything to the rifle! you need to go back and reread! your the one that needs to pay attention before you post!

Well if I knew the answer to the actual question I wouldn't be answering questions you didn't ask!

Gunsamerica had a nice one listed for $695, that's a start

http://www.gunsameri..._7_62X39_FE.htm

Here's a guy in PA with a pre-ban model worth over a grand:

http://forum.pafoa.o...ak47-value.html

thank you. now we are getting somewhere. i dont know how this got so off topic but thank you for adding info to what i actually asked :)

not sure where your going with your arguement but this gun is clearly legal from the njsp rules. i dont even know why people are still trolling! legal or illegal wasnt the question! i asked what the gun was worth! so please people! if you cant tell me what the gun is worth than keep your comments to yourself! i know for a fact this gun is legal. you trying to say it isnt just makes you look like an idiot! now lets get back to the topic! whats is worth?

wow, 30+ posts and your already on your way to making a lot of friends here... good luck with that... I understand your frustration, however, people here are out to HELP each other, and sometimes things will get off topic, but there will most always be good information. Do you realize each person in this thread is "trying" to help and educate you? making sure you have a legit legal rifle? I know it's not what you asked, but if you knew ANYTHING about NJ laws, you wouldn't post a topic with the word AK47 in it, since, in fact, you do not have an AK47.. don't be a dick, don't get offended, just read and learn. Also, as has been stated, please don't rely 100% on what your LEO brother says or thinks is fact, ask 5 cops the same gun question and you will get 6 answers.. NJ laws suck and they are at times confusing...

back on topic, that is a nice rifle. have you shot it yet?

have a nice day.

there you go.. +1 to you..

ok not once did i say or argue anything about a thumbhole stock or say anything about adding anything to the rifle! you need to go back and reread! your the one that needs to pay attention before you post!

thank you. now we are getting somewhere. i dont know how this got so off topic but thank you for adding info to what i actually asked :)

this is an internet forum.. one in which things are discussed and debated... if you can't handle open discussion the internet might not be for you.. I never said anything about your gun being illegal.. or what you plan to do with it... I was simply explaining the law.. and judging by the title "bought an AK47" you obviously know little about it.. there are guys here who have forgotten more than you will ever know about AKs (Glenn for example)... so you should take the opportunity to learn.. what is your gun worth? it is worth the same as every other gun in the world.. it is worth whatever someone will pay for it... put it up on a site and list as "taking offers" and see what people offer.. you don't have to sell it.. but that will tell you what it is "worth"... what it is listed for on some gun site.. or was listed for at one time.. is moot.. what matters is what someone will actually pay you...

like I stated.. you are obviously new to owning military style semi automatic rifles (or you would not likely put that you bought an AK47 in NJ) I suggest you do some research... there is a ton of info out there..

wow, 30+ posts and your already on your way to making a lot of friends here... good luck with that... I understand your frustration, however, people here are out to HELP each other, and sometimes things will get off topic, but there will most always be good information. Do you realize each person in this thread is "trying" to help and educate you? making sure you have a legit legal rifle? I know it's not what you asked, but if you knew ANYTHING about NJ laws, you wouldn't post a topic with the word AK47 in it, since, in fact, you do not have an AK47.. don't be a dick, don't get offended, just read and learn. Also, as has been stated, please don't rely 100% on what your LEO brother says or thinks is fact, ask 5 cops the same gun question and you will get 6 answers.. NJ laws suck and they are at times confusing...

back on topic, that is a nice rifle. have you shot it yet?

+1

I bet there is at least ONE cop working somewhere in NJ right now that if you showed that to.. would attempt to make an arrest...

the gun is OBVIOUSLY legal by NJ law.. but does every cop know every law all the time? NO..

*well defined handle similar to that found on a handgun.. the key word.. SIMILAR..

SIMILAR = 1. much of the same; alike; like 2. Geom. of figures, having the same shape. Can you say that the majority of handguns have a stock attached to their pistol grips? Where EXACTLY does the supposed pistol grip stop and the stock begin? Since they are all one piece that is not clear, it could easily be argued that the part you are grabbing is still part of the stock.

*protrudes conspicuously beneath the action.. well if you know where the action is.. you will see it is in fact beneath the action..

CONSPICUOUS = 1. easily seen. 2. worthy of notice; remarkable. The key word here...... since the "grip" is incorporated into the stock it is unclear what is stock and what is grip, hardly conspicuous.

*and permits the gun to be fired with one hand.. not comfortably.. or easily.. but with one hand.. and I am sure you could hold that with one hand..

You left out the word "and", which makes the first three items qualifiers. Without these three, this last part does not apply.

You also haven't addressed that it is not a "well defined handle"

NO WHERE does the definition of pistol grip mention ANYTHING about attaching to a stock.. your argument is one based on emotion.. and not how the law is LITERALLY written.. I'm not sure how you could have come to that conclusion.

just remember what SIMILAR means..

ok well you guys with the dumb comments and useless info that has nothing to do with the thread. thanks and have a nice day. i do have an ak variant that i do call an ak47 because thats easier than explaining that i have a sa 85m which is just like an ak47. sorry if that bothers you but thats what i do. too bad. yeah maybe i didnt know a whole lot about the rifle when i first got it. so what! i can tell you that i know alot more about it now than what any of you have had to say. way to treat another person asking a question! i take your lack of input on the topic as you really not knowing a thing about what it is or what its worth. so on that note. im done with this thread. the people that trolled should read this article. it describes what makes you do it... http://www.flayme.com/troll/

You asked a question on a public forum. Were some a bit brisk with responses? Yes. However, this is permitted-- in fact, pushed. Why? Because one bad apple makes us all look like idiots.

So, take your attitude and shelve it.

sigh

Benelli M4 PISTOL grip is part of the stock.. it does not make it not a pistol grip..

a regular stock is swept to the rear of the gun and grasps the gun behind the action..

a pistol grip is BENEATH the action..

the state is defining "pistol grip" so that you understand what they mean by pistol grip..

is the grip shaped like a pistol? sure.. the definition discusses SHAPE not how it is attached to the gun.. is the SHAPE similar to a pistol.. sure is to me.. it is SIMILAR to any pistol I have ever shot in that it is swept down towards the ground as opposed to the back like a traditional rifle stock...

is the grip beneath the action? of course... a traditional rifle stock is BEHIND the action of the weapon.. a pistol grip is BENEATH the action of the weapon...

can you hold AND fire it with one hand? sure you can.. comfortably? no.. but can it be done? YES.. the ruling says "can be held AND fired" not can it be easily held and fired..just CAN it be.. and well sure it can be..

the NJ state police firearms division has echoed the same information when contacted time and time again..

...i have a sa 85m which is just like an ak47...

In keeping somewhate more in the spirit of the thread and ignoring all the legal mumbo-jumbo...

What you have is very unlike an AK47. AK47 refers to the T1, T2 & T3s. What you have is "just like" an AKM, actually. A far cry from the AK47. I'de suggest you read up on this website

http://browningmgs.com/T2T3/Kalashnikov.htm

AK47 (T1, the original) and the AKM respectivly

AK_Full%20Stock.jpg

AKM-JH01.jpg