SW99

Range Suggestions

Hey everyone!

Looking to switch it up a bit, I have this Friday off and want to get out to the range, since I've only taken the new AR out once. I go to the Bullethole because its only 5 min away, but I'm looking for something more. I'm looking for something outside, 100yrd, prone, table top, and would like to use the hand gun also if possible. I have plenty of ammo but no targets so would need to get them there or if not, I need to know so I can get them before I go.

Im looking for suggestions, more info, etc. Im in Essex County, Nutley to be exact (exit 150 off the Parkway). I know I'm not really to close to any outdoor ranges so a drive is no problem (hour or so).

Thanks for the help!

SW99-

So looked into all the suggestions,

Easton is showing about 1hour 15 min on the map. I can cross into PA with my Rifle and handguns?

Range 14 is showing an hour and 35 min.

Cherry Ridge is showing 45 min. Just not sure I want to commit to the membership. Who goes there? Do you like it?

Are there any outdoor ranges you around here you don't need to be a member to use?

Thanks again!

Vito.

Not only can you cross into PA with your guns, but if you get a FL CCW you can load and carry your handgun on you when you get there. Also, once you're out of the car, you can open carry without a CCW.

If you are thinking about joining a range consider old bridge. Thats closer than cherry ridge. Has outdoor and 24 hour indoor

Google map pins it as 45 min which is about the same as Cherry Ridge. Any recommendation on which is better?

I'm sure someone would guest you in at CR, I may be going next Sat. Old Bridge may be better if it's closer to you.

Thank you for the offer, if I haven't figured it out by then, I might take you up on it!

Not only can you cross into PA with your guns, but if you get a FL CCW you can load and carry your handgun on you when you get there. Also, once you're out of the car, you can open carry without a CCW.

I didn't know that. I guess that way the place across from the bullet hole does CCW for FL. You can open carry in PA with out a permit even if your from outa state? no shit... lol

Old bridge is pricier to join than cherry ridge, but does offer an indoor range, and more "action type" shooting..so that might be a consideration

I looked the membership fees, Old Bridge is a bit more expensive. They do have the indoor range thats 24/7 which is nice, so i guess you pay for the convenience.

I'd also recommend OBRPC, a little pricey the first year but think of it as a buck a day after that. Only have 100 yard max, but OB is great if you want to shoot action sports or get into most shooting sports.

CJRPC is also one to look at but may be a little farther than you want to drive, but worth a look at also.

old bridge is extremely expensive, especially if you only go a few times a year. not to mention you are, for some reason, 'required' to participate in several matches and to even watch some before you are a member. cherry ridge is much cheaper and more cost effective if youre just starting out. you come and go as you please, no requirements. join CR first, you wont be sorry.

old bridge is extremely expensive, especially if you only go a few times a year. not to mention you are, for some reason, 'required' to participate in several matches and to even watch some before you are a member. cherry ridge is much cheaper and more cost effective if youre just starting out. you come and go as you please, no requirements. join CR first, you wont be sorry.

The reason that is is required is that OB is a competition heavy club, you should be aware what is going to be going on for a good chunk of the time, and it isn't a bunch of people milling about plinking. Even if you don't like it, it is a heck of a lot better to dislike it and know than to be thinking you bought into something you didn't after the fact.

I didn't know that. I guess that way the place across from the bullet hole does CCW for FL. You can open carry in PA with out a permit even if your from outa state? no shit... lol

Just not in Philly. You need a CCW to OC there from what i understand.

I'd also recommend OBRPC, a little pricey the first year but think of it as a buck a day after that. Only have 100 yard max, but OB is great if you want to shoot action sports or get into most shooting sports.

CJRPC is also one to look at but may be a little farther than you want to drive, but worth a look at also.

CJRPC is a bit out of the way.

I've been shooting for years, just hand guns though, this is my first rifle and shooting inside gets old very quick especially with Bullet Holes 23 yrd range. I want to have more option, longer ranges, etc. I guess joining CR is going to be the best corse of action for me, since its the closest for the most part, but also the least expensive.

Who's a member there? Do you like it? It it hard to get ports on weekends, nights, etc?

Thanks.

Does anyone have the link to the law that states you can travel to PA or any outside state with firearms? I know it's legal of course, but I am interested in seeing it in print.

There is no law in PA that "permits" you to have your weapons there. There is no law in PA that FORBIDS you to have weapons there. There is a federal law that protects you if you are stopped with weapons while traveling from somewhere you can have them to somewhere else you can have them, provided you follow certain procedures.

NJ and PA gun laws are written entirely opposite of each other. NJ it's illegal unless... PA its legal unless...

The reason that is is required is that OB is a competition heavy club, you should be aware what is going to be going on for a good chunk of the time, and it isn't a bunch of people milling about plinking. Even if you don't like it, it is a heck of a lot better to dislike it and know than to be thinking you bought into something you didn't after the fact.

i know why. and if you dont give a damn about competition, it doesnt make sense to blow $600 on OB does it.

I've been shooting for years, just hand guns though, this is my first rifle and shooting inside gets old very quick especially with Bullet Holes 23 yrd range. I want to have more option, longer ranges, etc. I guess joining CR is going to be the best corse of action for me, since its the closest for the most part, but also the least expensive.

Who's a member there? Do you like it? It it hard to get ports on weekends, nights, etc?

im a member at CR. for a plain static range, its absolutely fine. 50/100/200/300 yard rifle range, up to 50yd pistol, skeet range with newly added throwers available for rent, rimfire silhouette range, clubhouse with bathroom and full kitchen available for your use at any time. range closes at sundown, open every day other then major holidays and 2 work weekends a year. weekdays are very empty. nice weather weekends can get somewhat filled from 8-11, but anywhere after 12-1 it empties.

check here for updates

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31766-cherry-ridge/

im a member at CR. for a plain static range, its absolutely fine. 50/100/200/300 yard rifle range, up to 50yd pistol, skeet range with newly added throwers available for rent, rimfire silhouette range, clubhouse with bathroom and full kitchen available for your use at any time. range closes at sundown, open every day other then major holidays and 2 work weekends a year. weekdays are very empty. nice weather weekends can get somewhat filled from 8-11, but anywhere after 12-1 it empties.

check here for updates

http://njgunforums.c...6-cherry-ridge/

Thanks for the info! In order to become a member you need to attend a meeting right? First or second sunday of the month?

I'm plotting on shooting in Salem county Friday is anyone is around

Where is that? Im going shooting Friday also, even if its to the bullet hole just to get some rounds out of the AR with the new grips.

old bridge is extremely expensive, especially if you only go a few times a year. not to mention you are, for some reason, 'required' to participate in several matches and to even watch some before you are a member. cherry ridge is much cheaper and more cost effective if you're just starting out. you come and go as you please, no requirements. join CR first, you wont be sorry.

Like I said it's some coin the first year, but like I said think of it as a buck a day after your first year.

As far as the requirements of participating and or observing, lets just say, it's an eye opener and I founds a bunch of new shooting sports I am now involved in, not to mention, everyone I have ever meet at any of the matches have been very nice, friendly, and helpful people who I have become friends with.

I'm in Parsippany and have been looking for a range that offers the same amenities and have narrowed it down to Cherry Ridge but you have to be pay to be a member to shoot. I'd definitely like to check it out and shoot there before I sign up thogh. Would anyone who is a member like to guest me in so I can try it out? I'm planning on making it out there for the next "membership Sunday" on 6/2 anyways.

For now, I'll have to stick to the Bullet Hole to shoot my rifle. Shoot me a PM if you want to get together at the BH to shoot. I'm usually there once or twice a week.