Pizza Bob

IDPA Classifier 5/13 @ OB

Several questions:

What are the pros and cons of classified and unclassified? Pro for unclassified is being able to shoot without cover garment. Classified pro your score is actually counted and matched against the same classification? (Does it matter?) My internet search does not give me enough results.

How many classifiers are held in the year?

Do I have to be an IDPA member 1st to classify? (Online sign up so I can make it in time?)

**Anyone shooting G22 and has extra magazines and extra holster? :) I only have 3 mags total since I just bought it. I'd like to break-in my new G22. Or I can just use my P226 so my followup shots are faster?

Several questions:

What are the pros and cons of classified and unclassified? Pro for unclassified is being able to shoot without cover garment. Classified pro your score is actually counted and matched against the same classification? (Does it matter?) My internet search does not give me enough results.

How many classifiers are held in the year?

Do I have to be an IDPA member 1st to classify? (Online sign up so I can make it in time?)

**Anyone shooting G22 and has extra magazines and extra holster? :-) I'd like to break-in my new G22. Or I can just use my P226 so my followup shots are faster?

Generally a club will only let you shoot one or two matches without becoming a member of IDPA. The classified / not classified thing has nothing to with cover garments, it has to do with safety and new shooters. As to why they don't require it for a classifier match I have no clue, other than you don't have to worry about costume malfunctions affecting your scores - this is about establishing a baseline.

You want to be classified so that you are competing against those of like ability. Shooting as unclassified is a crap shoot - you could be shooting against a USPSA GM that has decided to shoot IDPA. At any major matches there is no prize structure for unclassified shooters. It allows you to gauge your progress. Why wouldn't you want to be classified? There are no advantages to not being classified.

Most clubs will hold only one classifier a year. There is a prescribed protocol for a classifier and it is the same each time (it's written in the rule book - which can be viewed on-line). It is normally shot as a three stage (30 rounds per stage) event at close, medium and far ranges. It tries to incorporate all the shooting elements you will encounter in IDPA (cover, shooting on the move, etc).

I wish to be classified in several different divisions, so I have been going to different clubs. I am classified in SSP and ESP and this week will try it in ESR (second attempt - first was plagued with weapons malfunctions - hopefully have that ironed out now).

You can join IDPA on line and just mark "pending" where they want your member number on your score sheet. If you've never shot IDPA before, this might be a good way to become familair with the various shooting elements you will encounter in a real match, but really doesn't resemble what a real match is. Even a bad day of shooting is better than a good day __________ (you fill in the blank).

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Really well done. More enjoyable shooting it in six stageswith round counts more akin to what you would find in a regular IDPA match - than the 30 round monster stages that most clubs use. As Nick said, it went very quickly - hammer down to last shot fired was appx 3 hours with 30 people present.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

30 rounds seems a little exessive for IDPA IMHO. I'm not quite sure that the Rule Book supports that either.

Glad to hear a good time was had. I would have been there too but a friend of mine flew in for his stepson's birthday and we were invited to the party, so had to go. I hadn't seen him in about 2 years and he was my Best Man at our wedding. Maybe next time I get to meet the Pizza Man, lol!

30 rounds seems a little exessive for IDPA IMHO. I'm not quite sure that the Rule Book supports that either.

The classifier is published in the rule book and the way it is set-up is as three 30-round stages. Same target array on each stage, and at the end of the stage there should be 10 holes in each target. These are not a continuous 30 rounds, but broken down into several strings within each stage.

Here is a link to the COF...

http://www.idpa.com/classify1.asp

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Had a good time yesterday, and despite being on the "slow' squad, I managed to pull out of the driveway by 12:45. Also, I snapped a pic of my score sheet, and assuming I did my math correctly, classified a solid Sharpshooter in SSP, improving by almost 20 seconds over my last classifier a month ago.

The classifier is published in the rule book and the way it is set-up is as three 30-round stages. Same target array on each stage, and at the end of the stage there should be 10 holes in each target. These are not a continuous 30 rounds, but broken down into several strings within each stage.

Here is a link to the COF...

http://www.idpa.com/classify1.asp

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

O-K. I know why I said the above: I thought that you guys were doing "30 round stages", when actually it gets broken-down into "Strings" of lower round-counts. So we're both right, lol! The usage of "Stage" and "String" sometimes are the same in some disciplines, other times not so. In USPSA a 32-round Stage is a continuous 32 rounds (as you are well aware), but in PPC the NRA book lists each string as a "Stage". It can get confusing!

On a side-note, I sometimes wonder why IDPA puts 10 holes into a target prior to scoring, OR are the targets supposed to be scored after each string? Towards the end of a Match, with all of the taped-over holes, the targets can get harder to read correctly, and a MIKE or a down-1 can easily be scored a down-zero if enough tape blows-off the target. Not saying it's done often, it's just that if each shooter pumps 10 holes into each target, with a 50 person Match, that's half a case of holes going into one target.....

Sometimes I think too much.......

Had a good time yesterday, and despite being on the "slow' squad, I managed to pull out of the driveway by 12:45. Also, I snapped a pic of my score sheet, and assuming I did my math correctly, classified a solid Sharpshooter in SSP, improving by almost 20 seconds over my last classifier a month ago.

Congrats j0n! Nice shooting!

Dave

I wish I knew. It's John Plum who's the OB IDPA (OBDOGS) match director - not sure how long he takes to upload the scores. When it's Somerset (Tom Richards), he's usually done the same evening or the next day at the latest.

Nick,

John has been a little busy lately, including graduating from the PD Academy. He'll get them out shortly if I know him so don't worry too much, just hang in there!

Dave