Joelfke

Question about unregistered guns in nj

I was wondering and this is hypothetical:

If you get caught driving around with an unregistered pistol you could get arrested right?

So, if I am coming from a shooting range after target shooting my unregistered pistol its a major problem if I get caught with it. If the gun came from lets say a cousin in PA but he doesn't have any paperwork of buying it, and I got it as a gift, how would I register it to legally have in my possession? Same question if it is from a diseased relative?

All kidding aside , I really suggest you read this section word for for word , go over it with a fine toothed comb as it relates to your situation :

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

And pay PARTICULAR attention to this part :

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws

3. Blackpowder and pellet handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a P2P and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement

........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be shipped to an out-of-state address

........(2) NJ resident = transfer must take place out-of-state

4. Blackpowder and pellet long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement

........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested or transfer must take place out-of-state

NJ = "New Jersey"

NICS = "National Instant Criminal Background Check System"

P2P = "Permit to Purchase a Handgun and Form of Register"

ID = "Identification"

FPID = "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD"

COE = "Certificate of Eligibility"

I was wondering and this is hypothetical:

If you get caught driving around with an unregistered pistol you could get arrested right?

So, if I am coming from a shooting range after target shooting my unregistered pistol its a major problem if I get caught with it. If the gun came from lets say a cousin in PA but he doesn't have any paperwork of buying it, and I got it as a gift, how would I register it to legally have in my possession? Same question if it is from a diseased relative?

Do you currently own other firearms? Do you have any registered pistols? Are we talking about NJ or somewhere else (don't know where you are)?

Mandatory registration isn't required if it comes from a deceased relative and you're named in the will.

If you're drivin' and stylin' with a gun in the car, headed for ShoreShot, and it came from a friend who just "gave it to you", you're the poster child for why I don't hang in that kinda place....

Edited by Smokin .50

how your cousin got it isnt the issue- its how you got it. To take possession of a hg from PA it must be done thru a FFL and you must have a permit, cant be "gifted". The only times you dont need a permit is if it was named to you in a will or it was acquired by you as a resident of an othe state and it still must be NJ legal. Get yourself educated on Nj gun laws fast.

how your cousin got it isnt the issue- its how you got it. To take possession of a hg from PA it must be done thru a FFL and you must have a permit, cant be "gifted". The only times you dont need a permit is if it was named to you in a will or it was acquired by you as a resident of an othe state and it still must be NJ legal. Get yourself educated on Nj gun laws fast.

thus why i asked........

im asking for NJ.

Do you currently own other firearms? Do you have any registered pistols? Are we talking about NJ or somewhere else (don't know where you are)?

Mandatory registration isn't required if it comes from a deceased relative and you're named in the will.

If you're drivin' and stylin' with a gun in the car, headed for ShoreShot, and it came from a friend who just "gave it to you", you're the poster child for why I don't hang in that kinda place....

im talking about a GIFT, not a "hey i found this here go shoot it"

The only way to get a "gift" in NJ without a permit is through a will. If you cousin gave you the gun, whether you paid for it or not, you need to go through an FFL if he is a PA resident and you will need a permit, thus registering the HG. All transfers of ownership for HGs from a resident of one state to a resident of another state must go through an FFL. I believe this is federal law.

True, but if the OP was a PA resident at the time the hypothetical pistol was transferred to him and he then later moved to NJ it would be legal.

The only way to get a "gift" in NJ without a permit is through a will. If you cousin gave you the gun, whether you paid for it or not, you need to go through an FFL if he is a PA resident and you will need a permit, thus registering the HG. All transfers of ownership for HGs from a resident of one state to a resident of another state must go through an FFL. I believe this is federal law.

Thank you this is what I was wondering. Thanks for an intelligent answer

Please keep in mind the circumstances. A new member posts a question about unregistered pistols given to them as "gifts". It is not unheard of for anti-gun folks to troll around trying to solicit responses that advise people to break or skirt the law, then use that advice to flaunt to their media and political friends what a bad bunch of law breakers we are. Remember, it would be paranoia if you weren't in New Jersey.

whats with the smartazz remark?- for the most part all the replys to your post were answers based on fact and law provided here to try and help answer your question and pretty much said the same thing. BTW- welcome to the Forum.

Please keep in mind the circumstances. A new member posts a question about unregistered pistols given to them as "gifts". It is not unheard of for anti-gun folks to troll around trying to solicit responses that advise people to break or skirt the law, then use that advice to flaunt to their media and political friends what a bad bunch of law breakers we are. Remember, it would be paranoia if you weren't in New Jersey.

Understood. NJ laws are a pain in the a** in general let alone gun laws. I'm trying to do my research so that nothing I do is unlawful. Not trying to start any problems or issues, just starting to get into target shooting and need to know whats legal and whats illegal. Like i said, it was a hypothetical situation