when_shtf

Hearing Protection

I'm going to Heritage Guild to check out some hand guns. I've actually have never been to a range, but if I enjoy shooting there I can see myself going more often. When I shoot I always use foam plugs. But since I'll be dealing with a lot more noise, should I wear over-the-ear protection? If so, active or passive? Gun specific or general?

I doubled up on my last range visit (indoors), and found it much better than over the ears alone. I felt a lot more focused and relaxed. YMMV

But I'm not a fan of loud noise in general -- I make an exception for firearms. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I double up as well but you have to look at the DB ratings of your ear pro as some suppress more than others. Lately i've been using some Surefire Ep5 silicone ear plugs which are super comfy and suppress in teh upper 20's range (28 db NRR i believe). Then i use some thick passive muffs in the low 30's range to top it off. The thin ones are only good for low 20's db suppression so the thicker the better in this case but again, check your ratings to be sure.

That photo of the range officer is GREAT.

I went to Heritage this morning. On my way I stopped off at Lowes and picked up some nice low-profile muffs (25 NRR) for $18. I used these with foam ear plugs.

I had a woman with a 9mm on my left and a guy with a 45 on my right and I was very comfortable.

Thanks for all of the help. I don't think I would have thought of double protection on my own.

Had a question on Hearing Protection...

I understand that OSHA says noise protection is required at 140 decibels and that the typical gunshot noise rating is 160 or so decibels. So wearing plugs or muffs should reduce the decibels below the 140 range.

I have seen the decibel reduction for ear plugs around 30 decibels and the reduction for ear muffs at about 30 decibels. If you double up and use both do you get a decibel reduction of 60?

While the use of ear plugs and muffs at the same time doubles your protection, I read in several places (http://www.coopersafety.com/NoiseReduction.aspx) that it doesn't actually provide db reduction of the total of the two combined. Someone also shared an interesting web page on hearing loss and the shooting sports. http://www.earsoftexas.com/hearingear_disorders/shooting.htm