Shawnmoore81

Pennsgrove middle school on lockdown

If I didn't send my son to catholic school he would be there right now

Grove Middle School currently in lockdown after reports of students entering school with weapons

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_102380/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=7yVT2reD

I agree, they were right to lock down the school, just in case. What a VERY stupid kid... why in his right mind would he think it's OK to bring a paintball gun to school? The way things are today, they have to make an example of this idiot and press charges on him. I can only imagine what all the parents that have their kids in that school must have felt wehen they found out their kids could possibly be in danger once they went on lockdown.

I agree, they were right to lock down the school, just in case. What a VERY stupid kid... why in his right mind would he think it's OK to bring a paintball gun to school? The way things are today, they have to make an example of this idiot and press charges on him. I can only imagine what all the parents that have their kids in that school must have felt wehen they found out their kids could possibly be in danger once they went on lockdown.

Because kids are kids and it's a PAINTBALL MARKER (not gun).

Because kids are kids and it's a PAINTBALL MARKER (not gun).

It doesn't matter that it wasnt a real gun... Just because it wasn't a real gun, they should just send this dumbass kid home with a slap on the wrist? It's about the panic/fear that it induced (in everyone in that school at that moment, and all the students parents) and all the LEO resources that had to be committed to check out the situation. In the end you have a bunch of freaked out people and wasted time and expense on the part of the local PD. In this day and age, with all the school massacres that have happened (comitted by kids!), you can't use the excuse that "Kids are kids" anymore. Seriously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that, or an anti mentality. Again, as I've mentioned in previoius threads... for some of you younger guys that do not have kids, you just can't see this or understand it from the perspective of a parent. It has nothing to do with being anti-gun or anything like that.

Quite the opposite. Why should we be punishing a kid for an innocent mistake because of some unclued panicked parent calling in saying "OMG IT'S A GUN"?

Schools nowadays have very strict rules on what can be brought onto school ground and what cannot. A parent that knows nothing about guns, which is the majority of parents in NJ by the way, is not going to know if something he/she saw caught a glimpse of was a paintball marker or a real gun. All they probably saw was somethign from a distance that looked like a gun... so they did the right thing to report it. Again, if you're not a parent... you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not an anti... I think you and everyone on this board knows that... but my opinion is that they should punish this kid.

The problem isn't that it was reported, at that time it was unknown what type of "gun" it was. The issue I find wrong is that they want to file criminal chages gainst the individual after it has been determined that no firearm was involved but rather a paintball marker. I can agree with suspending the kid from school for a couple days but now ay should criminal charges be filed.

It doesn't matter that it wasnt a real gun... Just because it wasn't a real gun, they should just send this dumbass kid home with a slap on the wrist? It's about the panic/fear that it induced (in everyone in that school at that moment, and all the students parents) and all the LEO resources that had to be committed to check out the situation. In the end you have a bunch of freaked out people and wasted time and expense on the part of the local PD. In this day and age, with all the school massacres that have happened (comitted by kids!), you can't use the excuse that "Kids are kids" anymore. Seriously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that, or an anti mentality. Again, as I've mentioned in previoius threads... for some of you younger guys that do not have kids, you just can't see this or understand it from the perspective of a parent. It has nothing to do with being anti-gun or anything like that.

All the school massacres committed by kids with paintball markers? I would say it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand there is a difference between a kid taking a paintbal marker to school to show his friends and a kid taking a firearm to school to shoot somebody, but I guess that is lost on some people.

The fact that some people, parents, teachers, and kids panic because of a paintball marker is not the kids fault, it is their own problem. Figure it out, deal with it, and move on, or go live by yourself in a shell.

The pussification of America continues.

All the school massacres committed by kids with paintball markers? I would say it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand there is a difference between a kid taking a paintbal marker to school to show his friends and a kid taking a firearm to school to shoot somebody, but I guess that is lost on some people.

The fact that some people, parents, teachers, and kids panic because of a paintball marker is not the kids fault, it is their own problem. Figure it out, deal with it, and move on, or go live by yourself in a shell.

The pussification of America continues.

Who said anything about massacres being commited by kids with paintball markers? Seriously??? What I'm saying is that this kid was a complete idiot and a fool to bring something like this into his school. People did not know that he had a paintball marker... they thought it was a gun... which caused the chaos that ensued. It is the chaos and trouble he caused that he deserves to be punished for... not for having a paintball marker.

Yes it is his fault that all this panic happened... because people didn't know that it was a paintball marker!!! I think you guys are missing the point. They thought there was a real gun in the school. Do you think that all this chaos would have happened if everyone had known it was just a paintball marker??? Come on guys... you can spin it around all you want and try to make it seem like this kid did nothing wrong... but at the end of the day, this stupid kid caused a whole lot of chaos and trouble.

Here's the thing - you're HOW old? These are KIDS - it's a middle school. Do you remember some of the stupid things you did when you were 12-13?

And I agree with the pussification of america part. Really - how much like a real gun does this look like?

Ego08.jpg

Here's the thing - you're HOW old? These are KIDS - it's a middle school. Do you remember some of the stupid things you did when you were 12-13?

And I agree with the pussification of america part. Really - how much like a real gun does this look like?

Ego08.jpg

No that definitely looks like a paintball marker.

Do either of these look like paintball markers?

paintball1.jpg

paintball2.jpg

And notice they don't require the orange tips like airsoft guns do so at a distnace no idea if it's fake or real. I don't believe it requires criminal charges once it was determined a paintball marker, but yes the kid should be punished at the school level.

I never said they should send the kid to prison or prosecute him... Jeez guys... who said anything about prosecuting him??? But he needs to be dealt with pretty harshly on the school level. You all are also bringing it back to "Oh it was just a paintball marker"... but AGAIN... nobody knew that... So to err on the side of caution, they had to assume it could have been a real gun.

I'm 41... but don't feel that old! LOL!

Yes I do remember being 12-13... but I was pretty responsible and knew exactly what I should or should not do... plus I had parents that cared and always taught me to be responsible and make good decisions. Who knows if this dumbass kid has parents that are teaching him to be a responsible kid.

I never said they should send the kid to prison or prosecute him... Jeez guys... who said anything about prosecuting him??? But he needs to be dealt with pretty harshly on the school level. You all are also bringing it back to "Oh it was just a paintball marker"... but AGAIN... nobody knew that... So to err on the side of caution, they had to assume it could have been a real gun.

Nobody accused you of saying it. This is directly from the article update linked above:

According to local law enforcement, a juvenile will be charged.

Photo 1 of 1

PENNS GROVE — The weapon that prompted a lockdown at Penns Grove Middle School this morning and drew police from around Salem County, turned out to be a paintball gun, officials said.

A student who brought the paintball gun to school — it was a birthday present — is facing charges.

No one was injured in the incident.

Students were held in one area of the school on Maple Avenue while authorities went through the school, corridor to corridor, to assess the situation, according to officials.

A large contingent of police from around the county swiftly arrived around 8 a.m. after a parent thought she saw a gun being brought into the school, according to Penns Grove-Carneys Point Regional School District Superintendent Dr. Joseph Massare.

The parent notified the school crossing guard who then notified Penns Grove Police.

The Penns Grove Police Department, the Salem County Prosecutor’s Office, Carneys Point Police Department and the Salem County Sheriff’s Office’s K-9 Unit responded to the scene.

The reported weapon turned out to be a paintball gun the 14-year-old, male student received as a birthday gift, the superintendent said.

Massare added that the student did not threaten anyone with or shoot the paintball gun.

Officials did not say what grade the student was in. The middle school is made up of students in grades 6 through 8.

The school remained under lockdown for about two hours and 15 minutes until shortly before 11 a.m. when the order was lifted after law enforcement deemed the situation safe and under control.

The juvenile was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and unlawful possession of a handgun on school grounds and was released to his parents, officials said.

The fate of the student in school was unclear. According to Massare such situations are handled on a case-by-case basis. School district officials will look at the student background, and carefully assess any disciplinary action by the school district.

Massare said parents and members of the school board were notified and updated during and after the lockdown.

In an effort to prepare for these real-life situations, the school district practices two drills a month — fire and safety. Local police attend twice a year to assist with the drills, the superintendent said.

Massare added that these types of drills include lockdowns, bombing, active shooting and evacuation drills which aided the successful outcome.

“It went beautifully today. It was a typical resolution from the staff and students and police and they did a great job,” Massare said.

Salem County Prosecutor John T. Lenahan said the law enforcement community in Salem County and the education community dedicate time preparing to respond to active shooter drills to ensure students know how to handle the situation.

“All Hazards Training” is conducted by all county law enforcement and school districts to prepare for the safety of students and school employees.

“It was gratifying to see law enforcement respond the way they did, and students behave the way they did. This was a good resolution to initially a potential scary situation,” Lenahan said.

Contact Brittany M. Wehner at 856-935-1500 Ext. 436 or via email at [email protected].

You need to RTFA so you aren't calling people out without actually understanding the conversation. The POLICE are charging him. People's aid that's a bit much, and you mr. Smarty pants came in saying they were wrong, he should be punished.

I would call police if I thought I saw a kid with a gun going into school. So that part is fine IMO.

And if it was my kid and I got him a gift like that , and he took it to school without my permission ( I would not have given permission) ..then he would lose his birthday present for sneaking it to school without checking with me and for making an irresponsible decision with his paint ball gun.

And I would expect the school to give him detention.

But you know , I have to say , that is about all I think is deserved as punishment and I think the charges are extreme ridiculous overreaction.

Even if that weapons charge doesn't stick they have put him in a situation where he has a felony charge against him ..for a paint ball thing.

And someone here educated me on this ...QelHoth I believe..that even if he gets the record sealed or expunged ..he will always have an arrest record on file that will be visible for in depth background checks for things like employment requiring security clearance and firearms permits when he is old enough.

the charge is VERY wrong , they screwed him over for making a dumb mistake with something that is NOT a firearm.