Sandy

Browning BPS Stalker 12 guage

Pete is looking at this shotgun ( he does not have much time to post from work ) . He saw a good deal on a used one at a gunshow ..he can still get it from the dealer.

Does anyone have any experience of feedback on it? He wants it for HD and for doing Urban Shotgun training .

I've shot another forum members BPS and it seemed like a very good gun. The tang safety and bottom eject are very nice for left handed shooters. That said, I've only ever seen them with long 24"+ barrels (http://www.browning....11&tid=212&bg=x), so unless Pete is planning on cutting the barrel down, it wouldn't be a very practical HD gun.

I have a regular 28" bps with well over a couple of thousand rounds through it and have never had any problems what so ever with it. The gun is solid we a rock. I am not familiar with the particular model that you speak of, but a Browning bps cannot be beat from a reliability standpoint.

Frankly, I have yet to see a Browning product I was not happy with. I own a BuckMark and would take it over a Ruger 22 any day. I own a Browning Side-by-side shotgun and it accompanies me every time I go for pheasant. The only reason I sold my browning HiPower was my glut of 9mm guns I shoot better. But that is the platform, not the gun.

+1 on what others have stated here.

The BPS is a solid, well-made all-steel shotgun, and has been around since 1977. The 24" bbl. is the shortest configuration, but the BPS could be had in many different barrel configurations. The original Buck Special bbl. was 24", with a fixed smoothbore and rifle sights. Good for Forster slugs and buckshot. Now I believe the Buck Special barrel is rifled for sabot slugs. Another 24" bbl. comes as a smoothbore, vent-rib with interchangeable choke tubes. Barrels are also overbored now for softer shooting and better patterning.

Found a bps Riot, anyone ever used or heard of this variation ?

The 12 ga. Riot & Tactical are somewhat rare birds those days. (There was a 10 ga.Riot once too.)

The current BPS that comes close to your description that's cataloged is called the "High Capacity." It comes in wood or composite stock, and is chambered in .410.

http://www.browning....12&tid=263&bg=x

I have never shot their .410. Only the 12 ga. Hunter, the 20 ga. Hunter & 20 ga. Upland version w/ 22" bbl.