Celraysoda

Officially quit smoking

So I know a lot of people out there are trying to quit smoking. I just wanted to briefly share my experience in hopes to motivate anyone if you or someone you know is planning on quitting.

I quit cold turkey and shared my goal with one or two loved ones. This was motivating enough for me not to let them down. The third, fith and seventh days were the worst. I thought of smoking almost every minute. In the shower, car, at work, while eating, etc. I replaced smoking with apples. Somehow, eating an apple slightly and I mean slightly curbed the craving.

Because the first few weeks were horrible, I purchased an electronic cigarette which contained zero nicotine. I have to say this is the main reason why I was able to quit. It felt and looked like I was really smoking, I began to think of the electronic cigarette as my actual cigarette. After the first three weeks, you really start thinking about smoking less and less. Now, for me, there are days that I don't even think about smoking.

I only used the electronic cigarette for about 3 weeks. After 5 weeks, things become much easier. It quickly turns from some physical dependence to a mental one and you become your worst enemy. You start to reason with yourself saying things like " you quit for 3 weeks, good job, now start smoking again and you can just quit again...".

The dreams of smoking are pretty strange and make you wake up upset with yourself until you realize it was a dream.

The health benefits are almost immediate. I can run now and walk my property without getting winded. Food tastes much better and even the whites of my eyes are brighter.

Yes, it would still love to have a cigarette as long as my arm, but it's now becoming a passing thought. It's been almost 5 months now and it gets easier everyday not to think about it.

Good luck to anyone trying or planning on quitting.

Definitely set a date and share it with a few select people.

Stay away from triggers for the first month. Drinking was mine.

Keep yourself busy. Clean stuff.

Look at gross smoking videos on YouTube to motivate yourself to not start again.

Electronic cigarette ( I bought Red Dragon brand)

When you believe your in the clear BRAG about it.

Good luck!

Congrats, man! I went through the same thing about 10 yrs ago... I had smoked for 13 yrs and quit cold turkey too. Like you mentioned, the first few weeks were awful... But after that it got easier. It sounds like you have found a good strategy that's working for you... Good job, and keep it up!

good for you man... keep up the good work... i personally don't smoke, but have family that did and quit ,, .. i'm talking my father and uncles who smoked from when they were kids back in Italy.. lol.. they didn't know any better.. my dad has stopped for over 20 years.. he can't even stand the smell of it anymore..

think of how much money you are saving.. you can buy more ammo :)

1 box of cigarettes = $15 = risking your life

1 box of ammo = $15 = saving your life

:D

(i know the prices aren't accurate, but you get my point!)

Congrats!

Going cold turkey is a big one.

I quit with e-cig about 18 months ago. Still on the e-cig, but feel/run better, coughing is gone, sense of smell is back...

Now planning to quit e-cig :-))

Thanks. And yes, the e-cig was the key to me quitting. I think the FDA should take a good look into them and possiblely have them prescribed by doctors...

It could be quite possible that the success rate of quitters doubles. Then again, big tobacco companies would probably put a stop to it before it starts. How we doin ?

Congrats! Definitely not an easy task

I tried the e-cigs the first day I tried quitting, but they just weren't doing anything for me, so I gave up on them and went at it cold turkey. What seemed to do the trick for me and my wife (we quit at the same time) was Allen Carr's easy way quit smoking dvd. Something about how they presented the material just clicked for us. Been 4 months now, and so far so good. Considering I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day for 20+ years, I'm pretty happy about it :)

Congrats and stick to it! Quitting is on my list to do. About 6 years ago I quit cold turkey. Woke up one morning and said that's it. Immediately joined a gym that day and hit the treadmill. Didn't even think about starting again until two years later when I was going through some problems with my ex. I went to a party and had one, then next thing you know I started again.

The day is gonna come soon when I wake up and say that's it again. I now look at it as a 1,000 rounds of 9mm a month gone up in smoke!!

Congrats. Myself, I am going on 8, 9 or 10 years. Lost track.

My wife got me to quit and gave me a patch. After a month and a half on the patch, I drank (trigger) and took a few hits of a cigarette. Fell down and overloaded on the nicotine. Threw my guts up all night and never wore a patch or took a drag of a cigarette again.

Eh- whats the big deal, quitting is easy, I did it a dozen times or so! J/k of course and congrats to all. Been 25 yrs for me but started VERY young about 13! I dont think all the things like the patch, gum hi-tech cigs were around back then but it was cold, cold turkey for me. Had to become a hermit for a few months, no going out with buds, easy on the drinking but thats history now. Did gain a few pounds tho.

Thanks. And yes, the e-cig was the key to me quitting. I think the FDA should take a good look into them and possiblely have them prescribed by doctors...

It could be quite possible that the success rate of quitters doubles. Then again, big tobacco companies would probably put a stop to it before it starts. How we doin ?

Great timing on this post

I was a smoker for over 25 years. I have wanted to quit for the last few years. I found and ordered e-cigs and juice for them with the nicotine.

It's been over two weeks now and I am breathing better and my sense of smell and taste has got better.

My plan is to slowly reduce the nicotine amount in the e-cigs until the craving is gone. If I keep up the e-cig thing, so what, a million times better than smoking.

I picked up the Joye EGO -T electronic cig, from a vender online. Have picked up a bunch of different flavors and it's totally working for me. Been fishing three times(which includes drinking) and have been fine. Fishing was one of the worst triggers for me.

Keep it up and thanks for the post.

Great timing on this post

I was a smoker for over 25 years. I have wanted to quit for the last few years. I found and ordered e-cigs and juice for them with the nicotine.

It's been over two weeks now and I am breathing better and my sense of smell and taste has got better.

My plan is to slowly reduce the nicotine amount in the e-cigs until the craving is gone. If I keep up the e-cig thing, so what, a million times better than smoking.

I picked up the Joye EGO -T electronic cig, from a vender online. Have picked up a bunch of different flavors and it's totally working for me. Been fishing three times(which includes drinking) and have been fine. Fishing was one of the worst triggers for me.

Keep it up and thanks for the post.

Awesome! And keep at it. Triggers are the worst. Also, there is a vendor at the Meadowlands flea market who sells e-cigs for pretty cheap. He's a few rows from the guy selling 50 cal rounds for $1 each. (he's sold out now :))

Good job, Quit Cigs myself and don't even have the urge to have them again, however I do smoke Cigars, mostly when I shoot matches, but the occasional one during the week. Will wind up quiting them down the road when I'm ready, just not ready,,,, yet, but not that far off either.

I quit smoking about 20 years ago. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I put on weight, went though bouts of depression and anxiety. I learned to chew lots of gum and drink a lot of water. Unfortunately I gained 30 lbs, but eventually lost it. The main reason I quit? Money... It was costing me (at the time) $250 per month or the equivelent to a car payment.

However, I am thinking I may start smoking again just to tick off Obama and the progressive Marxists that are in power because they hate it! However, congrats and enjoy your new lungs and vitality....