fmtek

Police called all residents in Woodland Park (West Paterson)

hey everyone..not sure who lives in Woodland Park (formerly West Paterson), or has family that lives here, but the police called with a pre-recorded messages stating that there is someone going around pretending to be a utility worker, my guess is PSE&G, and trying to gain entry into people's homes.

They said to make sure that they have an official company truck. If they look suspicious or you have not called anyone, contact the WPPD immediately, let them sort it out.

WPPD direct phone number is 973-345-8111 or dial 911 ...

Thanks,

-Frank

Geez. If not 110 percent sure then don't open the door. Thanks for sharing...I like to show these to my wife and kids (older) and my two nieces who also live with me. It just reinforces them to be aware these things are happening and they always have to be careful when the doorbell rings.

why would you want to announce to strangers you are armed?

Didn't say I wanted to, just was curious if it was legal or not.

That's like asking "why do people put up signs on their property saying "Screw the dog, beware the owner?"

Either way, I would think to most people in this state catching the glimpse of a firearm would we a good sign to move on to another house if you were planning on robbing it.

Didn't say I wanted to, just was curious if it was legal or not.

That's like asking "why do people put up signs on their property saying "Screw the dog, beware the owner?"

Either way, I would think to most people in this state catching the glimpse of a firearm would we a good sign to move on to another house if you were planning on robbing it.

Or saying wait till he's gone so I can grab his guns.

I carry almost all the time on my property. Depending on what im doing decides whether it's open or concealed.

Most of the police in town know I do (not from problems on my end!) and when responding to my house or stopping to chat they always ask if im armed or not and to not touch my side if I am.. Lol

Best bet to have the gun concealed when answering the door, or even drawn but behind the door or behind your back, etc out of sight. The "deterrent" factor of making it known to the person at the door that you are armed is not worth the trouble and can backfire, IMO.

Here is a case where a census worker says they were threatened by someone wearing a gun when answering the door in NJ. They said they were verbally threatened that it would be used... at that point it is a "he said she said" type of thing... but you can bet that LE will err on the side of caution and arrest the gun wearer because this is NJ.

That's all it takes, is for someone to feel "threatened" by someone wearing a gun, even on his/her own property. That could quickly escalate into some kind of assault charge, IMO.

Read up on 2C:12-1. Here is one gem that could fly, may not hold up in court, but enough to make the arrest... "(3)Attempts by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury."

Apparently it is illegal to muzzle swipe someone as well. In this case, from my experiences at ranges in the past, there are a lot of potential felons out there! "(4)Knowingly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life points a firearm, as defined in section 2C:39-1f., at or in the direction of another, whether or not the actor believes it to be loaded; or"