jonfoxx

Our presence even being felt at Staples!

I went to Staples yesterday to have my newly aquired FID card laminated. The girl working at the copy center said that they are getting so many people coming in to laminate these cards and she wanted to know why! She started to ask questions about the process and seemed as if this increase was getting her interested in the idea of doing it herself... I thought that was great.

People are coming around in this state. Spread the word, take people shooting, show them the real side of gun ownership and they start coming around. I've had at least 6 friends change their mind on the issue and pursue gun ownership. One was a total anti when I got my FID and first gun. You should of heard the things he said to me. Now he's coming around. Personally that's the way I think we change things in this state. Get more numbers on board and they'll have to listen. Unfortunately most of the antis I've encountered in this state were anti because of lack of experience and the way the media portrays guns. I remember one time I took an anti gun friend to the range for the first time. He had a great time. The whole ride home he kept talking about how friendly all other shooters at the range were (a few guys let him shoot their guns and I let a few people shoot my AR). I think it blew his mind that gun owners weren't all evil criminals like the news would want you to believe. He's now on his way to getting his FID.

I went to Staples yesterday to have my newly aquired FID card laminated. The girl working at the copy center said that they are getting so many people coming in to laminate these cards and she wanted to know why! She started to ask questions about the process and seemed as if this increase was getting her interested in the idea of doing it herslf... I thought that was great.

Would be interesting to find out how many FID's have been issued over the past few years.

If asked why I own a gun by someone I know to be against firearm ownership I tell that person "I shoot competitive pistol matches". Those types are waiting for me to say "protection" and I throw them a curve. Their body language tends to change and I can see the little mouse in the wheel is starting to turn. I normally get, "Oh (and some comment about not knowing such things existed)" At that point I declare victory (in my head) as I have caused someone who has been indoctrinated against firearms to realize that people do shoot as a hobby.

Only reason you call the cops is because they have guns, why not cut out the middleman?

But seriously, that's good to hear. I'm thinking about trying competition shooting once I get better.

@ OP

DId you offer to take her shooting? Actuallly going shooting is the best push for people that are on the fence.

If asked why I own a gun by someone I know to be against firearm ownership I tell that person "I shoot competitive pistol matches". Those types are waiting for me to say "protection" and I throw them a curve. Their body language tends to change and I can see the little mouse in the wheel is starting to turn. I normally get, "Oh (and some comment about not knowing such things existed)" At that point I declare victory (in my head) as I have caused someone who has been indoctrinated against firearms to realize that people do shoot as a hobby.

While that works sometimes I have ran into people that brush that off saying find a new hobbie guns are to dangerous

While that works sometimes I have ran into people that brush that off saying find a new hobbie guns are to dangerous

I prefer the term "recreational shooter," since I don't actually compete. I believe that it imparts the same thing Chris is talking about.

While it may not "work," all the time I feel better knowing that the term that they repeat to whomever is the above instead of "paranoid gun but."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive actually found that telling people you have guns because you "enjoy target shooting", works alot better than telling people "I go shooting alot" , lol

And Ive converted a few that now are calling me, to want to see if I want to go to the range with them.

Only reason you call the cops is because they have guns, why not cut out the middleman?

But seriously, that's good to hear. I'm thinking about trying competition shooting once I get better.

I like that, "Cut out the middleman". :)

I got into this hobby/collecting/competing a year ago. Quickly got tired of punching holes in paper and started entering all sorts of competitions. That is what made me a better shooter. There are still a LOT of guys/gals that kick my butt out there, doesn't bother me, just makes me try to learn better techniques. Do it, don't be worried you are no good or not as good as others, competing with people better than you will just improve your skills.

I finally got my wife to try Knockdown Steel yesterday at our club. She would come watch, but never participated. Unfortunately for me my ammo bill will increase even more, she enjoyed it and did pretty darn good at it. She is probably equal to me now with handguns, just gotta stay ahead of her with the shotguns! ;)

As Mike said, you get better by competing, instead of cowering in the corner (no disrespect intended whatsoever). That's what worked for me years ago. I always had guns, but I figured how to use them better when friends showed me the way........

As Mike said, you get better by competing, instead of cowering in the corner (no disrespect intended whatsoever). That's what worked for me years ago. I always had guns, but I figured how to use them better when friends showed me the way........

I couldn't agree more. I thought I was a good shooter until I did my first steel match. A real eye opener. Not ashamed to admit it. It just made me want to get better. I figured if I qualified or work real easy then shooting was no problem. Qual targets are far easier than competition targets.

Ive actually found that telling people you have guns because you "enjoy target shooting", works alot better than telling people "I go shooting alot" , lol

When people ask me why I have a gun I explain, "In case I have to shoot somebody."

But I stole that from a friend.

@ OP

DId you offer to take her shooting? Actuallly going shooting is the best push for people that are on the fence.

She was about 20, I am 44 and married for 20+ years, I could only think of dozens of other things that I would offer to do with her before shooting ever came to mind... :maninlove:

I couldn't agree more. I thought I was a good shooter until I did my first steel match. A real eye opener. Not ashamed to admit it. It just made me want to get better. I figured if I qualified or work real easy then shooting was no problem. Qual targets are far easier than competition targets.

I'd +1 ya if I could Joe!

Even in PPC (which is an Indoor paper Game) my scores improve when I know I'm up against a real Shooter. It makes you concentrate just a smidge more, while paying strict attention to the fine details of how & why the other Shooter handles the Stages. It also lets you watch how other really good Shooters do their thing, so you can possibly "borrow" a little technique here and there to help your scores. And even more importantly, it reinforces SAFETY when you watch someone who is very proficient in a given shooting discipline. You learn by WATCHING and DOING why certain techniques of gun handling are far superior to others, and you can employ them easily and be critiqued (if need be or desired) so you can "tweek" them to satisfy whatever possible phyisical problem (i.e.: bad knees) you may have to deal with. All-in-all friendly league competitions are great for friend making, team building and SAFETY reinforcement. It's a real win-win in my book!