gxr66

Accessory Recommendations

I am a newly “awarded” FID holder and will be purchasing my first pistol in the upcoming weeks. I would respectfully accept all of your experienced recommendations of what to purchase on several accessories that I think I will need to accommodate my firearm….and future firearm acquisitions.

1-CLEANING KITS

I would like to have one kit that will clean various calibers, and types of firearms from handguns to long guns.

2-TOOL KITS

What do I need, what should I get or have if necessary for disassembly/adjustments/sights etc…once again universal for various calibers, and types of firearms from handguns to long guns.

3-SAFE STORAGE

OK. I know this category can be very dependent on an individual’s needs/desires…..but my partner and I live alone and don’t have children.

I also don’t want the “shit bags” to steal our firearms should we ever get robbed (so help them if they try to rob us while we’re home).

Your advanced experience in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

there is no need for 'tool kits', especially if this is your first gun. there is never a need to disassemble a gun so completely that you need special tools to do so. basic field stripping is all thats needed. outside of changing grips, which may need a screwdriver, allen or torx, you dont need tools. taking things apart will only end in lost or broken pieces.

as far as changing sights, buy the gun first and use the stock sights. if you still feel the need to change the sights, youll likely need a specific tool for each individual gun, call a sight pusher. if one is available for your particular pistol (they are for berettas), get on only after youre 100% positive you want to change the sights. its much better then a hammer and punch.

get a basic cleaning kit from any gun store, or if you want, get a full kit that can do everything from 22 to shotguns. any online store will have them.

My first pistol was a Beretta M9. No tools necessary but a torx wrench for the grips.

Only thing I've ever needed for that weapon was a 9mm cleaning kit, maybe a cleaning mat. I wouldn't mess around with sights or flashlights or this or that until I felt profecient handling the weapon. Then you can think about better grips, or maybe a holster for IDPA or various gun games.

As far as thinking ahead, I would buy a larger safe or range bag than what you need, because your collection will increase and you will need the space to grow into.

Cleaning - you can get everything from kits that include everything to clean .22's to .50cal or you can buy everything separate. Some of the kits are cheaply made, others aren't. Good example - cleaning rods, those brass ones or whatever break and bend SO easily. So you basically have two options, buy cleaning stuff separately or buy a kit. I bought a kit in the beginning but after breaking the rods and whatnot, I decided to start buying separate things such as a well built cleaning rod(s), patches, barrel snakes, jigs, bore brushes etc. I would suggest that route, it may be a little more money but it's worth it in the end.

Tools - as the above posters have stated, you won't need much other than your usual tools...at least for basic cleaning or stripping. After that, you will probably need punches and other tools that you may or may not have, but a lot of them you can use ghetto things like a nail for a punch etc.

Storage - definitely get a safe that is bigger than you want presently. I will bet you will get a couple more guns, if not quite a few more guns, so it might be easier to get a 7-10 gun safe now rather than something tiny. You have two options - getting a low-end safe that has thin metal walls and basically just to keep your guns in and that's it or spending $700 -> over $1k and getting a high-end fireproof-for-2-hours safe that weights 500lbs and has super thick walls. There is a middle-end in there around the $500 price. Myself, and I can speak for quite a few other people, don't feel like spending almost a thousand dollars on something to keep guns in. I'd rather buy 2 or 3 new guns, or 10 Mosins for that price haha. I get by with a say that's good, not great, but not bad. Quite a few people don't own safes so they hide them in places or even just keep them in their gun cases. Bad thing about storage in gun cases is the foam tends to keep the moisture in, or so I've read.

The little Otis "Tactical" cleaning system that comes in a nylon hockey puck case is great! I use that, a rag and an old toothbrush to clean my pistols and my AR. Cleans everything from .22 to 12 gauge. Goes for around $50 - $60.

Generally a small screwdriver set, and maybe an allen key set... that should be all you need for now. I keep one of those interchangeable bit screwdrivers in my bag (the small ones for electronics, etc.) and a leatherman, and so far I haven't needed anything else.

I want a good safe. Don't have the money for a decent one right now so I have my guns (except for the HD gun) in their cases, locked, in a locked closet in my locked office. 3 different keys needed once you're in the house. (And that's only if you gotten past the dog.) But... it's only drywall and wooden doors... not like a safe. So eventually I will be getting one.