John Boy

NJSP Now Recommend Copy of Handgun Permit To/From Range?

May 2012 - Monmouth Co Rifle & Pistol Club Newsletter

Author: Doc Fanizio, Vice President

Article:

Doc Fanizzo reported that the latest info he received from the State Police recommended when traveling to and from the range, make sure you have a copy of your Permit to Purchase a Handgun. In case you should ever be stopped by police (unlikely), you can prove legal ownership of your hand gun.

* This the 1st I've heard of such a 'recommendation' and also undocumented by the NJ State Police

* Is such a 'recommendation' inforceable if one happened to be stopped by the NJSP or any local law enforcement officer?

My position is, should I be stopped by any NJ law enforcement officer, their process under NJ State Statute STOPS after it is determined the handgun(s) are being transported in accordance with 2C:39-6 Exemptions.

( b )Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Anyone else heard or viewed a NJSP document for this recommendation?

From a Sheriff's Dept. friend of mine. If you have a NJ "FID card", you should be 'OK' without the excess paperwork.

But then again, who the F! really knows in this Abundantly Ridiculously, Increasingly Assinine and Severely Hoplophobic state of New 'Eurozone' Jersey.

I was advised to keep a copy with the gun when I made my purchase. No that big of a deal. I keep the original in my filing cabinet.

Same here.

It's not a LAW that you do this but rather a RECOMMENDATION. Nothing says you have to keep a copy with you. I just made a photocopy of the paperwork and keep it in the case with the handgun. The original is locked away in a safe place.

A friend of my cousin's ex-wife said that she was told by the NJSP that a loaded firearm was illegal except at a target range during daylight hours and only on Wednesdays.

A friend of my cousin's ex-wife said that she was told by the NJSP that a loaded firearm was illegal except at a target range during daylight hours and only on Wednesdays.

My mailman's barber's second cousin on his mother's side neighbor claims that a loaded magazine is the same as a loaded gun and has to be accompanied with it's sales reciept.

From a Sheriff's Dept. friend of mine. If you have a NJ "FID card", you should be 'OK' without the excess paperwork.

More made up crap. You DO NOT need a FPID to own a weapon legally in NJ. Buy a NJ legal gun as a Pa resident in Pa, then move to NJ, gun is legal no FPID exists or is required.

FPID is a Firearms Purchaser Id card, not an Firearms OWNER id card like in Illinois.

Please, if you're going to state a law here, please post it accurately. You know as well as I do that only applies on non-leap years. :)

It's not a LAW that you do this but rather a RECOMMENDATION. Nothing says you have to keep a copy with you. I just made a photocopy of the paperwork and keep it in the case with the handgun. The original is locked away in a safe place.

This.

We've gone over this many times. Its just a suggestion to keep someone from unnecessarily busting your balls. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Id like so see the official release from the NJSP stating we should carry them. If there isn't one, then its just a bunch of hearsay gossip that we have all been through.

As I stated before, if you bought your handgun in NJ with a P2P, then that information is readily available through Master Name Index in NCIC 2000. Any police agency can access that information without having to carry all the paperwork with you. Sounds like a nervous nelly to me.

May 2012 - Monmouth Co Rifle & Pistol Club Newsletter

Author: Doc Fanizio, Vice President

An article in the MCRPC newsletter is about the shakiest source of information you could find for anything, including news about the MCRPC.

I stopped going to the member meetings because listening to the old men worrying about the latest internet rumor was too much for me. These guys have little filter between what they hear and what they tell other people.

C'mon you guys, everybody knows that firearms don't really exist. My cousin told me that his aunt's first cousin's brother's daughter's grandmother's best friend's wife's friend said that she heard so straight from the NJSP!

It may not be required by law but it seems a prudent step to carry your paperwork with you just in case. In fact I don't stop there, I make every effort at all times to make sure the police know I am innocent of any crimes. I always carry with me a copy of my credit report, tax returns and my public school transcripts. A notarized list of character references with mailing address, email and phone numbers doesn't hurt to have either. I bring a list of all my social networking and account passwords and offer them to any police officer who stops me, and in fact I left a set of my house keys with my local detectives so they can stop by any time they want to check out my home.

This reminds me, it's time for my monthly polygraph appointment at the detective bureau. It may not be necessary but I want them to know I am, without question, still not guilty today. Remember if you are not guilty you should have nothing to fear.

As I stated before, if you bought your handgun in NJ with a P2P, then that information is readily available through Master Name Index in NCIC 2000. Any police agency can access that information without having to carry all the paperwork with you. Sounds like a nervous nelly to me.

This. Takes all of 10 seconds to do.

Fantastic! Tomorrow is Wednesday!! :lol: