SW9racer

uspsa 9mm pistol ideas for open

Looking to move out of production, so thinking of open division. I want to stay with 9mm for cost reasons, not interested in reloading. Yes, I will be shooting minor, but I have no plans for nationals, I just like getting out, enjoying the local courses, and competing against my prior scores.

I am looking for something compensated, with a red dot, that I can use 15 round mags with (larger when I leave nj), stainless finish.

I have no clue where to start my research. What are my options?

You can build a decent inexpensive open 9mm open gun on a glock or m&p platform.

In some cases it is as simple as mounting a dot, getting a new barrel with a comp, and you are ready to go.

http://stores.sjcguns.com/StoreFront.bok for glock stuff.

hope this helps.

What are you using for your production gun? If you're using factory 9mm ammo and don't plan to reload, you might not get much benefit out of a comp...other than added weight. Cheapest/easiest option is to put a red dot on your production gun. Glocks have a nice optic mount...or you can try a slide mounted red dot like the Burris FastFire 2. Deltapoints and RMRs are a bit more expensive.

I am thinking of now modding my P226 for this. I found StormLake makes a drop-in barrel that I can get cut with 2 ports or threaded. If I get threads then I need to find a comp. Which is better, ports or comp? With a comp, dont you have to remove it ech time for cleaning?

I am still looking for a way to get a top rail on this to mount some sort of red-dot. Some sort of home kit that requires only minimal drilling. I want the mount on the frame and not the slide. Maybe a c-more sight. And a slide racker for the rear dovetail. tj custom works has spme nice stuff but the price is up there.

Looking to move out of production, so thinking of open division. I want to stay with 9mm for cost reasons, not interested in reloading. Yes, I will be shooting minor, but I have no plans for nationals, I just like getting out, enjoying the local courses, and competing against my prior scores.

I am looking for something compensated, with a red dot, that I can use 15 round mags with (larger when I leave nj), stainless finish.

I have no clue where to start my research. What are my options?

Not sure but don't I think you will see the advantage of having a comp with factory ammo but others who are in the know will chime in on that.

As ronny said, you can look into an M&P or Glock open gun.

For Glock, you have a few kits ready to go... Jager Products and Bob Carver both have kits for glocks. Also, talk to Karen at CJ/OB, she shoots an open minor glock.

Also ask yourself if open is REALLY where you want to shoot open. Empirically, the answer seems to be NO on the east coast, open has been dropping in numbers and not just in unfriendly NJ, but all around as well, while production, single stack, limited and limited 10 have been growing. You are looking at a more expensive gun (and if you go cheap you'll compete against expansive guns which will be more capable), reloading high pressure cartridges if you want to make major, less brass life, less selection of powders, etc, etc. Unless your eyes are really bad, open doesn't make a lot of sense.

However, if you just want to blow some money for something different, there is nothing wrong with that so go for it.

Allow me to suggest and alternate plan. Buy a .22, slap a cheap red dot on it, and go shoot steel, see if you like it. This will be cheaper then anything else you can do. Even if you get fancy (but a buckmark and slap a tacsol barrel and comp on it, a tacsol scope base, and whatever red dot) it will still be far cheaper then ay 9mm. Even if you decide red dot guns are not for you, you are still left with a pretty decent gun you can use again for something else instead of spending quite a bit of cash on a gun that is limited in usability if you don't like it.

Good advice, already followed! I have a mk2 tapered 8" with a dovetail mounted fastfire, love it! It gave me the bug. I could start small and change out the front sight for a fibre-optic instead of my orange painted one.

My 226 is my run-n-gun, so wanted to mod that, so still searching for a P226 kit.

I have 2 M&P 9mm Open guns, one for USPSA where I shoot Malor and 1 for Steel where I shoot Minor. Both have Comps and lots of other mods. All drop in stuff on the Minor gun (M&P9FS) and a lot of gunsmithing on the Major gun (M&P9L). Both require a gassy powder to work the comp. For Minor I use MG 147's with AutoComp for a 130 PF and for Major I use MG 124's with Autocomp for a 173 PF. If you don't reload there's no point to having a comp since factory ammo won't make it work as designed.

If you just want a RDS, go with that. Since I use slide mounted DeltaPoints on my Open Guns, I also use a slide mounted Delta Point on an M&P 9c, which is my EDC. A couple of folks shot it at Tenafly this past Sunday and were pleasantly surprised that a compact could shoot so fast and accurately.

Cost wise, the Delta Point base price is more expensive but it fits the rear sight mount without mods to the slide so you can always restore the gun to 'factory'. It comes with a P226 mount as one of the mount kit options with either the triangle or 3.5 dot. I like the triangle for fast acquisition. By time you find a top rail or a frame mount, you'll spend a lot more $$$.

I tried a Storm Lake ported barrel in one of my 9L's and it was better for Minor than Major but still nowhere near what a comp does.

I also agree with the earlier comment about shooting Open in NJ and the northeast in general - why bother? I shoot with 27 round mags (illegal here) and all of your planning and technique is based on single reload stage shooting. With 15 rd mags you need 2 or 3 reloads and a completely different strategy. I don't even bother bringing my open guns up north anymore since I din't want to develop worse habits than I already have.

Anyway, YMMV and you'll end up going where ever your emotions take you - enjoy.

I tried damnyankee's M&P 9c with the Delta Point...very nice. First time trying a slide mounted RDS and I didn't feel that you give up much, if anything, over a frame mounted sight. In fact, it convinced me to try a slide mounted RDS on my M&P and have the new Burris FastFire III on the way.

I too was fixated on a comp for a flat shoot gun, but have realized in shooting his uncomp'd 9c that the RDS makes more of a difference in speed/accuracy than a comp when shooting minor pf.

Another note - ammunition. AFAIK, there's no factory ammo that uses a gassy powder designed to run comps. You can help your gun shoot flatter by using a 147 gr bullet which will give you less muzzle flip and more 'push' - which is what a comp does for you. I use Atlanta Arms & Ammunition's I147 subsonic in the 9c for that reason. It also runs Production guns really well for those who don't reload and has a 130 FP.

Good info, I'm interested in building an open gun too. Is it even worth building a G35 or would it be a disadvantage with super38's and other 1911? Should I go with G22 with larger/longer compensator or G35 with smaller/shorter compensator?

For production / minor / ESP / SSP I'll use my 9mm's