WesDoesStuff

Can I buy a long gun in a F2F transfer from another NJ resident who does not have a FID?

Title is pretty self explanitory. I havent been able to find an answer for this yet and I am curious.

It would be pertinant to know if one wanted to stalk one of our state's illegal buybacks.

I am also unsure if it would be an advisable thing to do.

Can a person with an FFL in NJ host a buyback legally?

What if it's only a buyback for long guns to circumevnt the handgun limits?

Several people have broached this topic a few times whenever one of those illegal buy back programs are run. The question is, can you wait in the parking lot and buy something that looks interesting on the way in. I am not sure how long it would take for the police to take notice of you. As long as you are using the COE and you have a FID, I don't see where you could get into trouble?

Several people have broached this topic a few times whenever one of those illegal buy back programs are run. The question is, can you wait in the parking lot and buy something that looks interesting on the way in. I am not sure how long it would take for the police to take notice of you. As long as you are using the COE and you have a FID, I don't see where you could get into trouble?

my response was for the question of getting a gun from a non FID holder, not on the 'buyback'.

my response was for the question of getting a gun from a non FID holder, not on the 'buyback'.

Yeah I caught that. The problem I see with stalking a buyback is that you would be violating the same laws that the PD is breaking and the the only difference is that the police are the ones with the handcuffs.

The loophole I am thinking of is that if an FFL was willing to host a buyback, then it would be breaking no laws provided the guns were not stolen or used in a crime.

I thought as soon as you get an FFL involved, a background check will be needed for every transaction going from the seller (FFL) to the buyer (walk-in customer) even on a used gun.

I thought as soon as you get an FFL involved, a background check will be needed for every transaction going from the seller (FFL) to the buyer (walk-in customer) even on a used gun.

The idea would be that the FFL would be buying the firearm. A buyback consists of people turning in unwanted firearms in exchange for cash (usually $100). I do not believe that an FFL needs to do a background check on the person they buy used firearms from but I am not well versed. I'm not sure what lengths an FFL would have to go through to ensure that the firearms are not stolen or used in a crime and the risk of this may be enough to keep an FFL from hosting a buyback. I am not fluent in NJ gun laws (then again who is) so I am not sure of the process.

I wonder if you could find an FFL willing to take a chance on buying a gun "off the streets" knowing it could possibly have been used in a crime. That would be money lost for the dealer when the cops take the gun as evidence or when it comes back as a stolen gun and the original owner wants it back.

Many long guns being bought and sold legally statewide have been stolen. There is no system to check on their status. Handguns are checked by the NJSP once a permit is used.

Many long guns being bought and sold legally statewide have been stolen. There is no system to check on their status. Handguns are checked by the NJSP once a permit is used.

Not true. If the owner knows the serial number of the gun stolen the serial number would get put into the NCIC registry and come back a hit confirmation for a stolen firearm. Same as a car. However if the owner has no proof or knowledge of the serial number then there is no record of it.

It may get into NCIC, but when a dealer or non-dealer buys a long gun, the serial number is never reported to anybody. Only the buyer and seller knows what it is. It is never checked against that database of stolen items.

It may get into NCIC, but when a dealer or non-dealer buys a long gun, the serial number is never reported to anybody. Only the buyer and seller knows what it is. It is never checked against that database of stolen items.

If a gun dealer does not do an NCIC check of the gun he is buying off the street then he is an idiot. The average private sale, you would have no way of knowing, so always ask for the original receipt if they have it.

Wow. Just wow. I did not know you were so knowledgeable about these things. I should have guessed, with 27 posts in 15 hours. :maninlove:

Only law enforcement can run a NCIC check on a firearm. Dealers do not have access. Dealers run NICS on the individual to make sure they are not a prohibited person. Stolen guns pass through dealers just like they pass through non-licensees.

I wonder if you could find an FFL willing to take a chance on buying a gun "off the streets" knowing it could possibly have been used in a crime. That would be money lost for the dealer when the cops take the gun as evidence or when it comes back as a stolen gun and the original owner wants it back.

How would you know if they were or were not used in a crime?? Dangerous deal IMHO.

I was going to ask "How do you know if any private sale gun is stolen?" however for a dealer, you explained that they could do a NCIC check so that answers it for dealers but as far as private sale buyers, I do not believe there is any way to know. I would imagine that if someone is bringing a gun to a buyback they really have no interest in guns and it was probably passed down to them (especially in NJ where you need to run a gauntlet just to purchase a firearm) and I would doubt they have the bill of sale. I do not know of any way to check if a private sale firearm was stolen or used in a crime and your best bet, after going down this road, would be to just use your best judgement of character.

Wow. Just wow. I did not know you were so knowledgeable about these things. I should have guessed, with 27 posts in 15 hours. :maninlove:

Only law enforcement can run a NCIC check on a firearm. Dealers do not have access. Dealers run NICS on the individual to make sure they are not a prohibited person. Stolen guns pass through dealers just like they pass through non-licensees.

Sorry, my 15 years of being a cop had me thinking like one...Do an NCIC check comes to mind immediately. Im not aware of what dealers have access to, but Im sure a call to the NJSP would suffice to do an inquiry as to if a gun is stolen or not would not be an issue. But you would know better I assume.

I will tell you this however, I dont like your comment towards me having little knowledge and no posts..I was going to purchase a gun from you based on your price quote, but your less than professional post towards me is offensive and just cost you my business pal.

Sorry, my 15 years of being a cop had me thinking like one...Do an NCIC check comes to mind immediately. Im not aware of what dealers have access to, but Im sure a call to the NJSP would suffice to do an inquiry as to if a gun is stolen or not would not be an issue. But you would know better I assume.

I will tell you this however, I dont like your comment towards me having little knowledge and no posts..I was going to purchase a gun from you based on your price quote, but your less than professional post towards me is offensive and just cost you my business pal.

No problem. I was responding to your attack at me calling me a liar, "Not true."

BTW, I have 26 years as an LEO and 11 years as an FFL. I am never wrong. Ask my wife. :laugh: I hope you sit back a little and enjoy this forum.

No problem. I was responding to your attack at me calling me a liar, "Not true."

BTW, I have 26 years as an LEO and 11 years as an FFL. I am never wrong. Ask my wife. :laugh: I hope you sit back a little and enjoy this forum.

WOW, your very unprofessional and arrogant..Thank you.

(FWIW, then you know stolen long guns can be placed in the NCIC system as stolen and can be checked if there is a question, you stated that the "IS NO SYSTEM" to check them, when you know that is not true...)

I was referring to a dealer and to individuals not being able to check on their status. Relax.

As a dealer or a private citizen you can call your local PD and request an NCIC check for stolen if you suspect a firearm you are considering purchasing may be stolen. Im sure any patrolman can do this right from their INFOCOP in their vehicles. All they will be able to tell you is "yes or no" as far a s stolen. As a dealer this would behoove you to do if the gun is suspect. But most people dont want to go through the trouble...Your comments towards me were uncalled for and unprovoked, and I was not calling you a liar, just stating that your original blanket statement was not correct. You could put ANYTHING of value into the NCIC registry.

WOW, your very unprofessional and arrogant..Thank you.

(FWIW, then you know stolen long guns can be placed in the NCIC system as stolen and can be checked if there is a question, you stated that the "IS NO SYSTEM" to check them, when you know that is not true...)

I have read each and every response and I'll tell ya do what you want, but I'll say your not that great a judge of character..