Justjules

Negotiating prices at gunshops?

I was just a bit thrown when I asked the sales guy what the best price he could do and he said "that" and pointed to the price which I checked from my phone was over $200 above MSRP. There was not even a hesitation from him or any type of hint he would make any type of deal with me on anything. Big turnoff to me, at least sell me on the whole "overhead,customer service,ect ect" stuff, not just point at a price and say "that" like you got the last gun in the country...

Can't say from personal experience, but I never have heard the best things about Shore Shot.

It depends on the shop if they are willing to negotiate or not. When Navy Arms was still around, if you asked to see a gun they would almost always say "we can do better than that" (the price on the tag). Needless to say, I bought a lot of guns from them before they closed down. Other places I've been, the price is the price.

There's reasonable and then ridiculous. Lots of the local places here are charging $850+ on the Ruger 1911 and Magnum Research one. That's insane considering the rest of the country is buying them up at $650.

It's also easier to operate this kind of business in places other than NJ. Perhaps I'm making excuses for gun store owners, but I imagine that deals on their end are more expensive since most companies know NJ as a state where guns are verboten, and owners are exceptions to the ban (figuratively speaking.) As such, they likely have to take extra precautions when selling to NJ FFLs.

Furthermore, since our state is so anti-gun, and makes it hard for firearm ownership, there are fewer stores around, which lessens the competition. I live in an area with about 6 gun stores around. 2 are really good (ANA, Bob's little), 1 pretty much only sells antiques and collectable arms, another one is crappy, and the other one is Hagues. As a result, only two of those are even worth visiting, and fortunately, those are ones that are willing to work with me, or treat me so damn well that I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more. If I look over the river, in PA (20 minutes away) there are no fewer than 9 gun stores, closer together. I haven't shopped any of them, so yeah, maybe their service sucks, but still, I'd have to assume that they feel the competition more.

The whole sale places charge them the same as the rest of the country. (this is where the local guys buy from ) What the local guys have figured out is that NJ guys EXPECT it to cost more so we just let it go.

The reality is that the local (well SOME, I won't lump them all together) have artificially raised the prices because NJ consumers are well... dumb.

1st rule of retail is charge high for in demand items, charge low for stuff that isn't. If NJ was REALLY that bad with gun sales, they'd be charging dirt cheap prices to get those of us who do to buy as much as possible. Not pissing us off so we go buy on the interwebs.

The whole sale places charge them the same as the rest of the country. (this is where the local guys buy from ) What the local guys have figured out is that NJ guys EXPECT it to cost more so we just let it go.

The reality is that the local (well SOME, I won't lump them all together) have artificially raised the prices because NJ consumers are well... dumb.

1st rule of retail is charge high for in demand items, charge low for stuff that isn't. If NJ was REALLY that bad with gun sales, they'd be charging dirt cheap prices to get those of us who do to buy as much as possible. Not pissing us off so we go buy on the interwebs.

But if you see the FFL Transfer fees most places charge, it seems like they almost don't care if you order online. I saw some places charge as high as $75, which is pure profit for simply getting something delivered, and out the door. I know the main impetus behind this is that they want you to buy what's in the store, but sometimes they just don't have what you want.

Hand gun yes, rifle no. For the rifle you and the gun store you're buying from would need to fill out a certificate of eligibility.

Ahh and its a same day process just like in NJ? Does PA still do a NIC check ? Never bought a gun in PA but was considering going to one of the shows ans picking up something. I have gotten conflicting advice on the issue.

Also what is a good gun store in the PA area just off the NJTP exit 6 on your way into Philly area?

Ahh and its a same day process just like in NJ? Does PA still do a NIC check ? Never bought a gun in PA but was considering going to one of the shows ans picking up something. I have gotten conflicting advice on the issue.

Also what is a good gun store in the PA area just off the NJTP exit 6 on your way into Philly area?

Just Jules, if you live near Philly, you probably live near me. Maybe we could split gas to a gun show sometime?

And there is a NICS check, and I do believe youmust have your FID as a NJ resident. My brother in law bought a carbine at a PA gun show. Some retailers won't sell to NJ residents though, and be sure to know all the restrictions, to avoid trouble, though shows near the NJ border often have "NJ LEGAL" on the tags.

Just Jules, if you live near Philly, you probably live near me. Maybe we could split gas to a gun show sometime?

And there is a NICS check, and I do believe youmust have your FID as a NJ resident. My brother in law bought a carbine at a PA gun show. Some retailers won't sell to NJ residents though, and be sure to know all the restrictions, to avoid trouble, though shows near the NJ border often have "NJ LEGAL" on the tags.

Actually Im about an hour north of Philly, but Its the closest PA location I know of for me. When is the next show you know of?

cheyenne in robbinsville (past bordentown). cheyenne has High prices. they are a rip-off for trade-ins too. saying all that, they do have a high-priced but decent selection.

If any of you are in NJ, take 73 to philly, and turn right on frankford ave. I found a lot of (mostly revolvers) at locke's in phila. he has some pistols, but mostly the common stuff. 215-332-6225. butches in vineland has some stuff like sigs and other plastic. pistols too. he is very honest with trade-in value too.856-692-1010. rayco in merchantville does ffl's. he is a small shop. nice guy. 856-663-1300.

There just aren't very many shops to choose from in south jersey. ive had to call around for items and then order things as my darn permits always (almost) expire on me. good thing i have enough now. id say its a case of limited supply. crazy that i have to have an sr9 shipped to nj (minus the clip).

cheyenne in robbinsville (past bordentown). cheyenne has High prices. they are a rip-off for trade-ins too. saying all that, they do have a high-priced but decent selection.

If any of you are in NJ, take 73 to philly, and turn right on frankford ave. I found a lot of (mostly revolvers) at locke's in phila. he has some pistols, but mostly the common stuff. 215-332-6225. butches in vineland has some stuff like sigs and other plastic. pistols too. he is very honest with trade-in value too.856-692-1010. rayco in merchantville does ffl's. he is a small shop. nice guy. 856-663-1300.

There just aren't very many shops to choose from in south jersey. ive had to call around for items and then order things as my darn permits always (almost) expire on me. good thing i have enough now. id say its a case of limited supply. crazy that i have to have an sr9 shipped to nj (minus the clip).

Im looking for a good selection of AR's in stock. Also dont want a high priced shop looking to save a few $$$ otherwise it defeats the purpose of buying out of state.

Also I found this site for shows, theres one on the 26-27th this month i cant make that one however..

http://newsite.appalachianpromotions.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53

Actually Im about an hour north of Philly, but Its the closest PA location I know of for me. When is the next show you know of?

If you want to go to a show and you live an hour north of Philly, there are usually a couple shows a year in the Allentown area. I think eagle arms is the company that sponsors them, but I could be wrong.

Eagle arms is also the sponsor for the show in Oaks every 4 months or so.

Don't go there to buy ARs though, last time I was at the show in Oaks I saw maybe half a dozen NJ legal ones as opposed to a few hundred others. Pretty good selection of milsurps, ammo cans, ammo, and other stuff, as well as knives. No idea if prices were great though.

Good luck finding NJ legal ARs in PA...

You will be MUCH better off buying locally.

Yup, You won't find many NJ legal ARs at PA gun shows. NY gun shows however are loaded with them because the have similar BS rules we have, and no NICS fees up there either. You would just have to watch that you are not buying anything pre ban in NY which is legal there but not here - FFLs won't sell you anything that they know is not legal in your home state.

Right near you actually..Sayerville sportsman had only a few in stock nothing that I liked.

Tell them what you want and they'll order it, it's that easy! Besides, they get stuff in all of the time!

Right near you actually..Sayerville sportsman had only a few in stock nothing that I liked.

Check Ira over at Legends and see what he has, you can find him in the Forum Vendor section, I know he puts some together for people, not sure if he stocks them, but each time I see him, there are few in the safe. He's an out of his house FFL only, not a store front. Also Chris at Bullseye in Woodbridge might be have something. I'm not big on the Sayreville sportsman, but you do have few other places in the area, and Don't forget Tony and Paul, all good guys who great to do business with.

Here are a few I mentioned: Have done some sort of business with all of them and would recommend all of them.

Arms-N-Ammo

Bullseye Tactical Supply

East Brunswick Sportsman

Legend Firearms - Marlboro, NJ

TJ Sporting Arms - Bayville, NJ

At the Allentown show last weekend, I saw a bunch of ARs, and a few of them were tagged NJ compliant. The cheapest I saw(don't quote me) was $6~0 for a DPMS with an A2 stock.

True i rather support my local FFL, but at the same time dont like getting gouged or ripped off...Like when I got my KSG, BA wanted $1500 for one...I got mine for much much less direct from Keltec..That type of stuff is just dumb imho..

And the dealer would like to stay in business, and not get chiseled down on the price to the point where he needs to close his doors....

It's business -- just take the emotion (gouged, ripped off) out of the equation. The dealer knows what he needs to sell the piece for, in order to keep his doors open, and to earn the living he'd like to achieve. The buyer knows what he can comfortably pay for any item. If those two figures match, a deal takes place. If they don't, it doesn't.

The buyer might find the gun elsewhere -- cheaper. The dealer may well find a buyer who appreciates the package the dealer offers.

Amazon gets a lot of my business -- they're not always the cheapest, but my orders are generally correct, and there's little hassle. I order, stuff magically shows up at my house two days later. I'm willing to pay their prices; apparently they can stay in business based on what I'm paying them...

And the dealer would like to stay in business, and not get chiseled down on the price to the point where he needs to close his doors....

It's business -- just take the emotion (gouged, ripped off) out of the equation. The dealer knows what he needs to sell the piece for, in order to keep his doors open, and to earn the living he'd like to achieve. The buyer knows what he can comfortably pay for any item. If those two figures match, a deal takes place. If they don't, it doesn't.

The buyer might find the gun elsewhere -- cheaper. The dealer may well find a buyer who appreciates the package the dealer offers.

Amazon gets a lot of my business -- they're not always the cheapest, but my orders are generally correct, and there's little hassle. I order, stuff magically shows up at my house two days later. I'm willing to pay their prices; apparently they can stay in business based on what I'm paying them...

Any dealer that charges above MSRP to stay in business screwed up somewhere. I'd rather sell 3 guns making $50 each profit than one gun making $100 profit. Not to mention the more you sell the better your revenue stream as you aren't waiting for the one fool to come through the door willing to pay your price.

Like I said earlier, I think several of the local shops have figured out that your average NJ gun buyer isn't very savvy.

Here is a perfect example of what Im talking about, this happened to a buddy of mine:

I got a friend who makes a fairly comfortable living, and has enough spare change to buy mostly any toy he wants. He has several high performance cars with tons of aftermarket modifications and one full blown time attack track car, bottom line is he gets into something and gets obsessed with it and spends ALOT of money doing it. H

He recently gets into guns and goes to buy a rifle and a pistol at a gun shop who I will not name and being new to guns, a Glock 21 SF and a Daniel Defense M4 V5 Ar15 with an Eotech and magnifier. Now my buddy like to have top of the line stuff or modify stuff to be top of the line, so the salesman at this shop talks him into doing a whole bunch of modification to brand new guns...The 2 guns and all the modifications wind up costing him $6000.....Keep in mind thats not a lot of money to him, but still I cant see where the $6000 came from, I mean how many accessories could he have purchased??

So same buddy at the same shop goes to but the Keltec KSG that HE HAD THEM ORDER FOR HIM SPECIFICALLY, and they attempt to charge him $1880 for a $880 retail gun...At this point he has wizened up a bit and did some research into pricing, and literally flips out at the guy. He does not mind paying a few hundred above retail for a hot item but $1000 over list? When he asks the owner whats the deal with his gun that he pre-ordered, the owner responds "hey, its just business"...LOL

He politely tells them they have lost a customer for life over the deal...Now how much of a greedy idiot does one have to be to ignore the big picture that your trying to rip off a guy who will most likely spend $20,000 on guns this year alone, for a one time profit of $1000...What kid of savvy business man does that sound like to you??

My Buddy is the type of guy that will give you anything and do anything for you, has a ton of money, and does not mind spending it as long as someone is not trying to rip him off. He is also a very loyal consumer as long as your fair with him. But he also will never do business with you again if you cross him like that..He said he would have paid $900-$1000 for the KSG but not 2 1/2 times retail.

So a lot of these shops do it to themselves trying to be greedy and get the quick big bang and not develop life time loyalty.