Barms

GSG 1911 cleaning.. same as .45 cleaning?

i'm 700 rounds through my .22 cal 1911.. i've field strip cleaned it 2X.. on the next cleaning i'd like to get more thorough and clean the "firing pin" and extractor.. etc etc.. but a rim fire doesnt have a firing pin like a .45 does, right? (i'm a newbie). I do know the difference between rim fire and center fire in practiction... but i've never taken one apart..

basically what i'm wondering is.. if i watch 1911 cleaning videos online where they take out the firing pin to clean it, is mine virtually the same? I want to start now getting into deeper cleaning, firing assembly etc..

If someone says mine is exactly the same ACCEPT that my "firing pin" hits the rim vs hitting center fire that would be great because the videos should be the same. but if the entire mechanics of rimfire vs center fire are very different then i will be flying blind when i start popping pins out of my slide..

thanks!

So has anyone removed the magazine trigger disconnect? I find it so annoying that I need an empty mag in there to drop the hammer. My S&W 22A is the same way. I can press the lever up with my finger, but it isn't easy.

So has anyone removed the magazine trigger disconnect? I find it so annoying that I need an empty mag in there to drop the hammer. My S&W 22A is the same way. I can press the lever up with my finger, but it isn't easy.

Cakewalk. Drive the pin in the mainspring housing out, drop the housing down, remove tiny spring, reinstall mainspring housing, DONE. If you want some help with it, I should be in your area on Monday.

So has anyone removed the magazine trigger disconnect?

Ha! If I can do it, anyone can do it. I wanted to change from the arched to a flat MSH, so it happened by default. One heads-up - if you are going to change the MSH, order a MS cap pin also. The GSG pin goes in laterally and cannot be used with a normal 1911 MSH in which the pin goes in longitudinally.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yes i've seen this video.. but he doesnt take apart ANYTHING in the slide.. which is where i believe the "firing pin" is, which is what i want to clean.. this video is excellent for trigger/safety/magazine stuff.. but how do i get to the EXTRACTOR and the "firing pin" stuff...?

Yes i've seen this video.. but he doesnt take apart ANYTHING in the slide.. which is where i believe the "firing pin" is, which is what i want to clean.. this video is excellent for trigger/safety/magazine stuff.. but how do i get to the EXTRACTOR and the "firing pin" stuff...?

Little overboard imo , especially at 700 rounds. Gun isnt even broken in yet ! Personally I wouldn't go to crazy with it, but its your gun and feel free to learn to take it apart and clean her up.

I agree with Alec, depending on how tight the gun is, at 700 rounds I'd probably still be running her wet and dirty to lap her in for a good break-in. I do understand wanting to see the upper break down, I want to see someone do it myself and in time someone will.

Harry.. please post here in the Rimfire section if you ever get around to taking apart that slide.. or see a video or a detail on the web somewhere..

its not necessarily that i feel like i need to do it after 1,000 rounds.. its just that i want to KNOW how to do it.

I've got one myself and I just replaced the arched MSH with a fusion Flat MSH with magwell.

Definitely need a new MSH Cap Retaining PIN (that tiny one up top)

wb308-untitled20.jpg

If you don't want to replace the MSH and just want the magazine safety out, pop out the pin that holds the MSH in place... slide it down and remove the spring and a piece of metal that's looks bent connected to that, reinstall the MSH and you're all set to go.

Ok, got rid of that dumb mag safety. Why are you guys changing the other spring too?

I'm not sure who you're referring to... but I know from research that people say NOT to change the stock GSG-1911 Main Spring. People who replace it with a .45 auto main spring have experienced firing pin failure or some other failure due to excessive pressure from changing the stock .22LR spring.

I changed my mainspring *housing*, because I found the stock one (arched; makes the grip have a bulbous booty) negatively effected my grip, ability to activate the grip safety, and natural POI.