DevsAdvocate

HELP! Cross threaded screw for AR15 pistol grip.

You might want to chase the threads with a tap very lightly, but more than likely that's not going to work. The only off the top of my head idea would be if that doesnt work it to take the screw to a local gunsmith and see if they have one where the head and taper matches but the next thread size up.

That sucks. If the tap chasing doesn't do it then look into a helicoil.

Doubt a helicoil would work in something that thin. Also while I keep helicoils on hand I really like timesert's better in most application. Not for this type of repair but a better alternative to helicoils in most applications.

http://www.timesert.com/

if you have not placed the trigger in the lower you may be able to chase the threads from the top of the threads on some lowers. The last few lowers I have picked where drilled and taps all the way into the receiver. Just a thought of the top of my head. Sometimes people clean the threads right out with a tap by trying to chase the thead from the bottom

That sucks. If the tap chasing doesn't do it then look into a helicoil.

If you're going to drill and retap the receiver for the helicoil you might as well just use the larger sized bolt and drill the grip slightly. It might not be spec but less chance of the threads backing out.