Kasanova

Hoppes 9 solvent, any other cleaning oil?

First time cleaning my gun.

After looking around on the forum what best to clean my gun, i decided to get the hoppes 9 cleaning solvent and lubrication. Did not know the solvent has a very strong odor; like deisel. I have asthma, and i felt my self weezing during the cleaning. Yes I am that sensitive to my breathing, especially during cold days and very hot days.

My main thing is, is there another cleaning oil I could use to clean the gun?something that wont trigger my asthma/ weezing? I dont want to use this again, and it was horrible, the smell and my weezing. Thank you for all the help in advance.

I noticed that at first. I was using way more than i needed. A little went a long way. I was leaving the cap open to the bottle the whole time, stunk the whole basement up. Kept the cap on and used very little on the patches and rags.

Can't help you out on other cleaning stuff, I have always used Hoppes 9.

BreakFree CLP ... Clean, Lubricate, Protect ...

i spray my stuff with Gun Scrubber first, then CLP it ... but that is me... Gun Scubber could have a strong odor too.. that is why i clean my stuff outside most of the time,

First time cleaning my gun.

After looking around on the forum what best to clean my gun, i decided to get the hoppes 9 cleaning solvent and lubrication. Did not know the solvent has a very strong odor; like deisel. I have asthma, and i felt my self weezing during the cleaning. Yes I am that sensitive to my breathing, especially during cold days and very hot days.

My main thing is, is there another cleaning oil I could use to clean the gun?something that wont trigger my asthma/ weezing? I dont want to use this again, and it was horrible, the smell and my weezing. Thank you for all the help in advance.

I have a similar problem at my house.

Try gunzilla , all vegetable oil based. Has an interesting smell but no chemicals. Try to pick up a small bottle off ebay and see how you do.

i have no problem with the lube, is just the oil solvent. It is too strong for me, and dont feel like putting a mask on when i clean the gun. Im gonna go ahead and try the above suggestions to see what I can tolorate. Any other suggestions would help as well.

Kasanova, I used to use Hoppes #9 and still love it, including the smell. When I got engaged, my fiance discovered that the odor made her so sick she would vomit. Since switching to MPro-7, we live in harmony :)

I recommend these two products. Combined they will clean, protect, and lubricate most excellently. The only thing you may want to add down the line is a copper fouling remover like KG-2. But you only have to do that every thousand rounds or so IMO.

G96 Gun Treatment spray for cleaning and a good protective wipe down. Use it on your bore patches and brushes for bore cleaning. Spray and let sit on the rest of the guns metal parts, then wipe down. Cleans and leaves a protective film behind. It smells almost like bubble gum to me. Very pleasant. http://www.g96.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=g96&Category_Code=Gun+Treatment

Slick2000 EWL - for a general purpose gun oil. It is odorless, doesn't turn sticky, and is a phenomenal lubricant. A little goes a long way. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816005/slip-2000-ewl-gun-oil-4-oz-liquid.

try using rubbing alcohol,very cheep also.then follow with kroil.for copper buildup use boretech eliminator.then rubbung alochol and then kroil.i do this with all of mine.

Since the OP is looking for a less harsh smelling cleaning option I have to mention that Kroil stinks the worst out of all of my cleaning supplies. It works well for gun cleaning, but IMO there are less stinky alternatives that work just as well.

Hoppe's was always my favorite, but the non-spray bottles and the VERY pungent smell really started making me dislike it.

I got a bottle of Mpro and it's nothing really special, but I have now switched to that since it comes out easy of the spray bottle and doesn't have a smell to it.

Clenzoil. Great stuff. Used to be cheap too. (Not anymore.)

First time I heard of/bought/used the stuff... I was in college in Ohio, at a gun show with an FFL friend of mine, on my 21st birthday buying my first gun. (Astra A-100) As we're walking around buying stuff, we see this little old couple selling this oil in boring white bottles for $7 (20-ish ounces). My friend Bill tells me "Buy a bottle. It'll last a long time and it's great!" Okay. So a few years later, I had sold my Astra and moved home back to NJ and I find out that the price has skyrocketed. (Didn't much make a difference to me at the time, I didn't have any guns until recently.) But now... it's 8 ounces for $15! But... it is good stuff. In fact, I just bought a bottle.

Easy to use. Doesn't smell bad. Is a pretty good all around product.

I use hoppes / kroil for cleaning, sometimes i will use gunzilla as a follow up, tetra gun grease on the slide and barrel and a little rem oil on the outside of the pistol. I always use my air compressor to aid in cleaning. :) I clean in the garage so smell is not a problem.

I use hoppes / kroil for cleaning, sometimes i will use gunzilla as a follow up, tetra gun grease on the slide and barrel and a little rem oil on the outside of the pistol. I always use my air compressor to aid in cleaning. :) I clean in the garage so smell is not a problem.

Yep. Like my Hoppes. I use gun butter for oil.

Clenzoil. Great stuff. Used to be cheap too. (Not anymore.)

Plus Two!

I shoot more BPCR reloads than nitro based and have tried them all including Youngs 303, probably close to 20 products

Have cleaned 4 long arms with the Clenzoil and am totally impressed that their advertising is not lies.

They say it treats wood and leather. So I rubbed down rhe stock of an 1873 Trapdoor - beautiful!

Clenzoil and Eezox are the 2 Go To products for overall C-L-P (rust protection)

Here's a 9 month rust protection test I did using Eezox ...

http://www.theopenra...hp?topic=5457.0

While I dont have asthma my wife when she was pregnant started throwing up from the smell of hoppes bore solvent I was forced to not clean my guns as often or do it outside on the deck weather permitting. A GREAT alternative especially on the smell factor I recommend frog lube. It smells like wintergreen lifesavers! It's aparently all natural too so little ones or pets wont be killed by it if they where to eat it. I've only cleaned my xd with it twice so far but even the initial cleaning the gun felt super slick but not to the touch I might add. The carbon practically dissolves right off too! My jaw hit the floor when on my barrel where it contacts the breach face normally takes a good scrubbing with the hoppes, the frog lube cut right under the carbon and lifted it right off! Seems to work well for me and the smell if freakin awesome!