Sign in to follow this  
beaniam

Another 15/20 thread... ak-74 mag options?

Searching around I came across http://mtnarmory.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=13&zenid=f6c5c5ajleqi4jpl04jlhqte90 but they just seem like an attention getter and I'd hate to buy them just to cut them down and modify them myself simply because they're the only things I can find that will be shipped to NJ. Does anyone make a cut down or 15/20 length mag? I used to have 20rd 7.62 mags and I remember they really didn't draw any extra attention at the range.

I emailed mtn about 15/20s. I'll pick up his 15/30's if that's all he has right now. Paul currently doesn't have an ak74 mag option but says he has plans for one in the near future. I'd more prefer the 20's simply because they're not so bulky with the extra useless couple inches of metal sticking out of the bottom aside from the attention aspect.

MTN Armory told me today that they have no AK74 mags in stock and he has no idea when he might get them. He said if you can find them you can have them shipped to him and he will pin them and send them out. It's an option but probably a pricey one. But this is all irrelevant anyway. I stopped in at Sarco in Easton today to see if they had 74 mags but they don't. I was told with a straight face that NJ has changed the law and it is totally ILLEGAL to posess a mag that holds more than 15 rounds even if it is permanently altered. In addition, any ones that I may posess should be turned in or destroyed right away. I just nodded and went on my way. I have no desire to argue NJ gun laws, especially with a guy from PA.

MTN Armory told me today that they have no AK74 mags in stock and he has no idea when he might get them. He said if you can find them you can have them shipped to him and he will pin them and send them out. It's an option but probably a pricey one. But this is all irrelevant anyway. I stopped in at Sarco in Easton today to see if they had 74 mags but they don't. I was told with a straight face that NJ has changed the law and it is totally ILLEGAL to posess a mag that holds more than 15 rounds even if it is permanently altered. In addition, any ones that I may posess should be turned in or destroyed right away. I just nodded and went on my way. I have no desire to argue NJ gun laws, especially with a guy from PA.

:wild:

Are you kidding me? This is right from the NJAC clarifying what is considered a NJ defined Large Capacity Magazine. It does say a piece of wood or pin/dowel temporarily blocking the mag is still considered illegal. That means you cant just drop something in the bottom of the mag to block the follower, it has to be permanent, like how MTN uses rivets.

The definition is still shady as they do not define what is considered permanent. IMO permanent means you would need power tools and reconstructive surgery to even attempt to make it a high cap mag. At that point it could be argued that you are "constructing" a high capacity magazine.

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine.

:wild:

Are you kidding me? This is right from the NJAC clarifying what is considered a NJ defined Large Capacity Magazine. It does say a piece of wood or pin/dowel temporarily blocking the mag is still considered illegal. That means you cant just drop something in the bottom of the mag to block the follower, it has to be permanent, like how MTN uses rivets.

The definition is still shady as they do not define what is considered permanent. IMO permanent means you would need power tools and reconstructive surgery to even attempt to make it a high cap mag. At that point it could be argued that you are "constructing" a high capacity magazine.

I have some 7.62x39 mags from MTN and have no intention of destroying them. It's irritating when people make up laws, we have enough as it is. Maybe I will just have some mags sent to my buddies house in VT and when I go up to visit I can figure out a way to permanently set them to 15 rounds myself.

As usual we have been thru this before. A novel idea for those concerned about 'drawing attention'. Buy a damn 5/5, 10/10, 15/15 or whatever and be happy.

I have MtnArm 15/30's and don't play games hiding them, period.

This is very true....

A 30rd mag that uses rivets to prevent the follower from going any lower to accept more then 15rds, is the same as pinning a folding or collaspable stock...The mod can be reversed very easy...And this process is done every day in shops all across NJ....

Actually, stocks and magazines need to be treated differently by NJ dealers. There is no requirement to make a stock "permanent" in a fixed position. NJ dealers can not temporary pin a magazine for resale. The magazine has to be "permanently altered", which IMO, means that it can not be reversed back to the original capacity. Knocking the head off a rivet in seconds, again IMO, is not permanent and would not be allowed, as per the Administrative Code that NJ dealers must follow.

Actually, stocks and magazines need to be treated differently by NJ dealers. There is no requirement to make a stock "permanent" in a fixed position. NJ dealers can not temporary pin a magazine for resale. The magazine has to be "permanently altered", which IMO, means that it can not be reversed back to the original capacity. Knocking the head off a rivet in seconds, again IMO, is not permanent and would not be allowed, as per the Administrative Code that NJ dealers must follow.

So the mags sold to NJ residents by MTN Armory are illegal? Is this once agian someones IMO theroy i think...I have yet to hear anyone haveing any issues at the range with a mag moddified in this way....Or is this because they are modified outside of NJ and then sold in NJ that they are legal? I'm confused??

I also know of FFL's that epoxy ONLY stocks and brakes...I'm not saying thats correct, but its being done...

Nowhere did I say that they were illegal. Read it again. I said NJ dealers can not sell them that way as they are not "permanently altered" per the NJ Administrative Code, IMO.

The point I am making is that neither NJ law or the Admin Code address pinning stocks as it does pinning magazines.

Ah ok so a NJ dealer cant sell them, but they can be used by NJ residents... Its so crazy if you really think about it....

To many terms...

Administrive Code....

Permanently altered...

IMO....

FFL cant sell, but you can own....

Oh well i will enjoy my rivited 15/30 AK mags until someone tells me different....

buy whatever pinned mags you like, and dont worry about it. sitting and worrying about the letter of this bullshyt law wont do you any good. if the mags were truly illegal, they wouldnt be sold in this state. retailers would never risk losing their business and jail time by selling questionably legal mags.

and in my opinion, NOTHING is 'permanently altered' if you try hard enough. pins and rivets can be drilled out, epoxy can be dissolved or broken, welds can be cut or ground off. the purpose of this 'law' is to keep people from having a block of wood sitting in their pmag which can be easily removed by taking the baseplate off. likewise drilling and installing a set screw in a collapsible stock to 'pin' it, then simply backing the screw out and having a normal stock.

one cool thing about Tapco 10rd mags is that it's easy to convert them to 15rd capacity.

Just need to cut down the follower by about 1/2. No need to modify the spring. Once you determine how much to cut, it's a 5 minute job.

I've heard about cutting Tapco 30 round mags to make them 15 rounders - easy task but must be done outside of NJ. I'm surprised local dealers don't sell them in this absolutely permanent condition.

Have you tried 10 to 15 rounds conversion?

Eventually one will have to cut about 3/4.

Don't know if .05 will be enough for extra 4.5 rounds. In normal factory condition you have 2 inches for 10.5 rounds.

Just tried to squeeze the spring and got 5/8 available spase, so cutting 3/8 should be safe, probably will add 2-3 rounds.

I don't see any danger here, not sure if having spring 100% squeezed is a good idea, guess leaving 1/4 would make sense.

Any thoughts?