John Boy

Ballistol - A Good Rust Preventative? Fact or Fiction

And how do you think about this?

You're not supposed to just throw a link up without at least a paragraph splainin' why you want us to all looooook!

You're not supposed to just throw a link up without at least a paragraph splainin' why you want us to all looooook!

OK, Smokin - the paragraphs are in the link thread, but just for you a picture is worth a thousand words!

Ballistol22MayF.jpg

BTW, save your money buying Ballistol ... the principal chemical is nothing more than mineral oil

Ingredients (according to a specification from December 2002)

* pharmaceutical white oil: CAS RN 8042-47-5; Mineral oil

* Oleic acid: CAS RN 112-80-1

* C-5 alcohols: CAS RN 78-83-1; Isobutyl alcohol

* CAS RN 137-32-6; 2-Methylbutyl Alcohol

* CAS RN 100-51-6; BENZENEMETHANOL (9CI)

* different essential oils to perfume Ballistol

You happy now?

I'm not sure that steel wool in a fair analog to the treated metals used in a gun. A handful of steel wool has 100x more surface area then a typical gun, and it is untreated. Further, steel wool will hold moisture between the strands and the strands have a capillary action from strand to strand.

It's a bogus test. As they say on TV, "BUSTED".

Spray some EEZOX, Balltisol and a control steel wool and put them in your safe and see if there's any difference in a year or 10 years or 20 years. I don't have any safe queens so I know they'll get shot and a new layer of Balltisol or CLP or whatever lube is popular at the time.

While you do bring up an interesting point regarding the metal in steel wool vs metals found in a gun, nonetheless, Ballistol isn't a rust prohibitor.

See this;

http://www.ctmuzzlel...corrosion2.html

In my experience, Eezox is the only rust prohibitor I use, used, and know of. When you can vacuum seal your gunz, it's the next best thing to wipe guns down with that are not in regular rotation.

Your link showed that Balltisol was equal to EEZOX after 3 months in preventing rust.

Your link showed that Balltisol was equal to EEZOX after 3 months in preventing rust.

I reckon you're correct. Musta miss read it, can I borrow a bib while I go to the all you can eat crow buffet?

But within my own experience, EEzOx is the only thing that works with the NJ soup we get. I have a shotgun, made in 1890, that I had to clean and polish the action parts in order to make it work smoothly. I used pure Balistol on a patch and wiped it down, after a few weeks with last summers hear and humidity, it was all covered with flash rust. I wiped it all out with a patch of EEzOx, and haven't had rust since, and it's been a safe queen since last July. That rain and humidity we had a few weeks ago? Flash rusted another shotgun I didn't wipe down with it.

Everybody's mileage may vary, but a $10 can of EEzOx is worth keeping handy.

Ballistol is used as a shooting patch lube for patched round ball black powder shooting. Diluted 1:4 it makes a great patch lube I hear.

I much prefer Birchwood Casey's Barricade for rust prevention, especially on my black powder firearms.

How does that Shenandoah stuff you've mentioned hold up to rust prevention?

I can't remember the other gun forum that did a rust test but Lehigh Valley Lube & Cleaner and Eezox were a tie. Shenandoah is supposed to be the remake of the patented Lehigh. There is no water in either products. Lehigh was tall oil - neutralized to a 9 Ph and the carrier was denatured alcohol. I don't know the actual combination of ingredients for Shenandoah. I use it for a bore conditioner shooting BPCR reloads and foul cleaner

Ballistol is decent stuff. Mixed with water into an emulsion , it is my go-to product for corrosive ammo residue flushing. It is also great as a gun wipe down, leaving a nice shine. It is also good for your skin, leather , and wood. I use it on all wood and leather parts of guns, and even on my leather work gloves. Its main ingredients are mineral oil and oleic acid (fatty acid similar to what is found in vegetable oils).

This was an unfair test IMO. If I needed to protect metal under those conditions, a coating of Bullfrog Rust Blocker would do it. It was designed to prevent corrosion on ship electrical panels for the Navy. It does form an opaque light near waxy coating on the metal, so I wouldn't use it on a gun unless I was putting it away for a long long time.

Bullfrog also makes a gun cleaner/rust protector spray product. It smells pretty good, cleans decently, and dries completely leaving a dry film similar to Eezox (another excellent corrosion preventive). I don't buy it any more as it is pricey, and there are better options for guns IMO.

I do religiously put a new Bullfrog Emitter Shield in the gun safe every year to prevent rust in the gun safe. It supposedly emits a vapor based chemical that only sticks to metal. It goes wherever there is air, so it will eventually get into the barrel and actions.

in that last review they said thy kept some guns ln plastic bags, i do this but with heavy duty zip loc bags, thick enough to avoid scratches and pretty air tight to keep moisture out after a good rub down of oil, is this bad to do?