Ron

New Member in West Deptford

I'm a new gun owner, just purchased my first guns a few months ago. Got a nice used Remington Supermag, almost new condition for $250 andive been hooked. Browning Buckmark Camper was next, the last week I found a great deal on a used but never shot Ruger 10/22 with a nice cheap scope and 3 magazines!

Looking at a home defense handgun, I'm between a Beretta 92fs and a glock 17, tring them out at he range to see which one gets he last of my income tax return money!

I'm a member at Hagues and would like to get into some outdoor shooting as well with the summer coming up.

Looking forward to haunting the forums here!

Hi Ron,

I am from WD as well and really enjoy firearms sports. I currently own a Beretta 92 and its a very reliable gun but it has a few querks. The trigger in DA mode is extremely long to pull making it hard to make a precise shot. The single action mode is a bit long but its not bad. If you get the Beretta and wanted to update it I would change the mainspring to a D spring. This is sold by Beretta and should improve your pull. I also changed my hammer out for a skeletonized version which claims to improve timing and bought a wolf metal guide rod which made the gun smooth as glass. The Beretta also has a few features the glock does not have such as a double action trigger and decocker. The glock is also a wonderful choice since it has a nice trigger out of the box, its striker fired and can survive just about anything you can throw at it. Overall I personally would not use a 9mm for defense due to over penetration and is a small bullet. If you are set on going the 9mm route I would stay away from hollow points since they could get you into a lot of trouble if used in a defense situation. According to what I have heard I would go with a shotgun with a large bird shot for HD since since it does not overpenetrate making it a lot safer for your family and neighbors. However, I would try to avoid shooting at all costs and lock myself in a room if you cannot escape. In regards to outdoor shooting my family shoots at the Quinton Sportsmens Club in Quinton, NJ. Its a fantastic outdoor range since its cheap to join, very clean and offers all types of shooting. There rifle range is out to 200 yards, pistol up to 50 and they have trap, skeet and sporting clays. If you are interested their website is www.quintonsportsmensclub.com Also if you were looking for good guns shops in the area check out Eds Gun Shop in Deptford, Bobs Little Sport Shop in Glassboro or County Sports LLC in Carney's Point. If you have any questions please let me know.

Looking at a home defense handgun, I'm between a Beretta 92fs and a glock 17, tring them out at he range to see which one gets he last of my income tax return money!

Both are fine guns, but take the Glock 19 into consideration. You will only be able to get 10 round factory Glock 17 magazines. If you go with the Glock 19, you get a more compact gun, and 15 rounds in each magazine.

Hi Ron,

I am from WD as well and really enjoy firearms sports. I currently own a Beretta 92 and its a very reliable gun but it has a few querks. The trigger in DA mode is extremely long to pull making it hard to make a precise shot. The single action mode is a bit long but its not bad. If you get the Beretta and wanted to update it I would change the mainspring to a D spring. This is sold by Beretta and should improve your pull. I also changed my hammer out for a skeletonized version which claims to improve timing and bought a wolf metal guide rod which made the gun smooth as glass. The Beretta also has a few features the glock does not have such as a double action trigger and decocker. The glock is also a wonderful choice since it has a nice trigger out of the box, its striker fired and can survive just about anything you can throw at it. Overall I personally would not use a 9mm for defense due to over penetration and is a small bullet. If you are set on going the 9mm route I would stay away from hollow points since they could get you into a lot of trouble if used in a defense situation. According to what I have heard I would go with a shotgun with a large bird shot for HD since since it does not overpenetrate making it a lot safer for your family and neighbors. However, I would try to avoid shooting at all costs and lock myself in a room if you cannot escape. In regards to outdoor shooting my family shoots at the Quinton Sportsmens Club in Quinton, NJ. Its a fantastic outdoor range since its cheap to join, very clean and offers all types of shooting. There rifle range is out to 200 yards, pistol up to 50 and they have trap, skeet and sporting clays. If you are interested their website is www.quintonsportsmensclub.com Also if you were looking for good guns shops in the area check out Eds Gun Shop in Deptford, Bobs Little Sport Shop in Glassboro or County Sports LLC in Carney's Point. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks for the information on Quinton, looks like a nice place. I'm also looking at a place over near Williamstown as well. I've been to Bobs and Eds shops. I bought my first two from Butch's down in Vineland, and the Ruger from Sportsmen's Center in Bordentown.

I appreciate the overpenetration issue, I'm planning on loading Glazers to minimize that risk. Locking myself in a room isn't much on an option when I've got kids on a separate floor, can't exactly just turtle up and hope the bad guy doesn't like climbing stairs.

Both are fine guns, but take the Glock 19 into consideration. You will only be able to get 10 round factory Glock 17 magazines. If you go with the Glock 19, you get a more compact gun, and 15 rounds in each magazine.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the 19 as well.

Welcome from Thorofare.

However, I must say I am not a fan of Hauges.

Not crazy about them myself but they're nearby, indoors, I can bring a guest for free, and since I don't reload, the brass thing doesn't bother me. I don't think I'll be buying anything from them, their pricing seems a little stiff to me.

welcome.gif

Thanks PK! I got the pricing from you as well, I'm just working on making up my mind, but I'm you're on my very short list of shops to get my business when I make my mind up!

Welcome to the forums. It's nice to see another local on here. I'm a member of Hague's, but can't say that I'm overly pleased about it. Do yourself a favor. If location and distance isn't much of a deciding factor for you, look elsewhere for shooting and purchasing. Hague's is simply a rip-off when it comes to pricing and service. That said, because of the location/distance issue, I find myself to still be a member there. Maybe sometime we can meet, along with the other locals who are members.

Would you local Hague members be up for a group-meet at the range sometime over the summer? Maybe I'll start a thread and we'll decide on a date/time.

Welcome to the community from green-fields. As far as outdoor shooting give south jersey shooting club a try. Lots if friendly people and competitions. Plus the club is a 5 minute drive from arms-n-ammo(pk90)

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the 19 as well.

I went to Shore Shot and tried both the G17, G19 as well as the S&W M&P9. One of the reasons I chose the G19 was the 15 round magazine. It was also a better size for concealed carry.

post-2785-0-69194000-1337887946_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forums. It's nice to see another local on here. I'm a member of Hague's, but can't say that I'm overly pleased about it. Do yourself a favor. If location and distance isn't much of a deciding factor for you, look elsewhere for shooting and purchasing. Hague's is simply a rip-off when it comes to pricing and service. That said, because of the location/distance issue, I find myself to still be a member there. Maybe sometime we can meet, along with the other locals who are members.

Would you local Hague members be up for a group-meet at the range sometime over the summer? Maybe I'll start a thread and we'll decide on a date/time.

I agree on the pricing and service, though to be fair the guys haven't really done much to tick me off on the service side. I show up, shoot for a half hour to an hour and go home. Might buy a target or two, shoot some of the rentals. Though I did get grief for only wanting to buy 50 rounds of 9mm for their range gun as opposed to the 100 rounds they wanted me to buy. I only had time to shoot for a little while, didn't want to waste the money cranking through 50 rounds just to get out of there on time.

I went to Shore Shot and tried both the G17, G19 as well as the S&W M&P9. One of the reasons I chose the G19 was the 15 round magazine. It was also a better size for concealed carry.

post-2785-0-69194000-1337887946_thumb.jpg

Concealed carry isn't an issue for me, unless NJ decides to lighten up on the insanity out of Trenton, I'm not getting a CCW permit anytime soon. Unless I just get fed up and move to PA. I work over there, so the 1,200 bucks a year I drop on bridge tolls would pay for a lot of ammo!

Welcome to the community from green-fields. As far as outdoor shooting give south jersey shooting club a try. Lots if friendly people and competitions. Plus the club is a 5 minute drive from arms-n-ammo(pk90)

I'd like to get down there, I grew up in Williamstown, have family down there too. Maybe I'll talk my brother into splitting a membership and covering the 10 dollar guest fees for when I get down there. Hauges put a 400 dollar hole in my wallet for their membership, NOT what I wanted to spend, but it's close to home and I can spend less time driving and more time at the range.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. There seams to be a lot of members from West Deptford and it might be time to get together and take a trip to South Jersey Shooting Club. Each member can guest in two no-members for $10.00 each.

Hauges put a 400 dollar hole in my wallet for their membership, NOT what I wanted to spend, but it's close to home and I can spend less time driving and more time at the range.

That may be true but if you want to shoot over 25 yards driving to either Quinton Sportsmen Club or South Jersey Shooting Club is definitely worth that drive. From my house to SJSC is only a 40 minute drive and I do not go down Rt. 42

That may be true but if you want to shoot over 25 yards driving to either Quinton Sportsmen Club or South Jersey Shooting Club is definitely worth that drive. From my house to SJSC is only a 40 minute drive and I do not go down Rt. 42

I'd go down Salina Rd through wash two to get there, 30 minutes with luck on the lights

Hello and Welcome to the forum. There seams to be a lot of members from West Deptford and it might be time to get together and take a trip to South Jersey Shooting Club. Each member can guest in two no-members for $10.00 each.

Sound like a good idea to me!

Welcome from Woodbury. Depending on how much you shoot, you might want to look at Bob's in Glassboro. It's cheaper than Hague's for a membership, and if you are a member somewhere else and don't want to throwdown $250, you can get a lane by the hour. Prices are OK for ammo as far as gunstore prices go. Friendly people too.