Justjules

Question about sighting in an AR

Wy is it that I can shoot it fine, and I am left handed but right eye dominant. But right handed people who are right hand dominant cant hit with it?? Cant be the gun.

Can you shoot it accurately at multiple distances or just at the distance you had it zero'ed at? If you zero'ed it 100yards, it it kinda the same at 200 or 8" to the left? Given a particular posture and shooter you can get even a very canted or odd setup to be sorta zero'ed at a know distance but it isn't really zero'ed unless it stays that way further out (bullet drop aside).

Well I put a cheap red dot sight

of course you did..

you asked for our opinion on Primary Arms..

we told you a quality sight (Aimpoint, Eotech etc..) was the best..

we told you that a middle of the road optic was a good compromise (Primary Arms)

so it is of no surprise to me that after asking for those opinions.. and getting answers.. that you went out and purchased a NCstar, or BSA red dot...

because that is what you tend to do...

ask an opinion...

get a solid technical answer..

and then do something totally different...

SORRY but..

I really do not understand..

The next time you ask a question I am going to give you the most ridiculous wrong answer with the hopes that you will run out and do the complete opposite, and end up with the correct solution..

and just to be clear.. I was not indicating the rail was clocked now.. I was indicating that as you shoot and wrench on it with your support hand it will likely get loose over time and once that happens.. you will begin to lose zero.. unless of course the rail proves to be quality.. but I am not familiar with its performance..

the advantage to a barrel mounted or gas block mounted front site is it is independent of the stress you may exert on the rail..

of course you did..

you asked for our opinion on Primary Arms..

we told you a quality sight (Aimpoint, Eotech etc..) was the best..

we told you that a middle of the road optic was a good compromise (Primary Arms)

so it is of no surprise to me that after asking for those opinions.. and getting answers.. that you went out and purchased a NCstar, or BSA red dot...

because that is what you tend to do...

ask an opinion...

get a solid technical answer..

and then do something totally different...

SORRY but..

I really do not understand..

The next time you ask a question I am going to give you the most ridiculous wrong answer with the hopes that you will run out and do the complete opposite, and end up with the correct solution..

and just to be clear.. I was not indicating the rail was clocked now.. I was indicating that as you shoot and wrench on it with your support hand it will likely get loose over time and once that happens.. you will begin to lose zero.. unless of course the rail proves to be quality.. but I am not familiar with its performance..

the advantage to a barrel mounted or gas block mounted front site is it is independent of the stress you may exert on the rail..

Dude, really could you stop $hitting all over me? I get it man, enough lecturing already..I picked up a POS dot sight with intention of putting it on my CX4 once I get the Primary Arms one. Plus I wanted to see if it would be as off center as my Iron sights...I also found that the front rail was on a little canted and the issue was fixed. Now I assume I will have to center it all over again.

Dude, really could you stop $hitting all over me? I get it man, enough lecturing already..I picked up a POS dot sight with intention of putting it on my CX4 once I get the Primary Arms one. Plus I wanted to see if it would be as off center as my Iron sights...I also found that the front rail was on a little canted and the issue was fixed. Now I assume I will have to center it all over again.

if I asked you your opinion.. about something you were knowledgeable about..

you provided that opinion..

you provided the reasoning behind that opinion..

but yet I continued to do something totally different.. would that not frustrate you..

a cheap red dot performs poorly in one KEY area..

some of them hold zero inconsistently.. that means today the red dot shoots good groups.. and tomorrow they are up and left.. so you waste another box of ammo re zeroing the optic.. it holds for a trip or two.. then it is down and left.. waste another box or two.. wasting time doing the SAME SHIT all over again.. it holds for 5.. 6.. 7.. 15.. 20.. range trips.. then all of the sudden it wont even turn on..

my time is valuable.. it is worth more than the 40.. 50.. 60 bucks I might save on a budget red dot... especially when you consider the ammo and time wasted chasing zero..

so see that is the issue.. I TELL you in DETAIL why it is the way it is.. and you literally ignore every word I type..

so it gets to the point where I say the following..

if you are NOT going to listen to us..

if you are NOT going to try to understand the principals behind this stuff..

why are you wasting our time..

we LOVE shooting.. we LOVE helping new shooters.. we LOVE educating..

we do NOT like to waste time.. time is money.. and time is valuable..

so stop wasting our time.. and stop wasting your own time.. it is irritating.. let us help you.. lol

really I can not stress enough.. it is NOTHING personal..

if I asked you your opinion.. about something you were knowledgeable about..

you provided that opinion..

you provided the reasoning behind that opinion..

but yet I continued to do something totally different.. would that not frustrate you..

a cheap red dot performs poorly in one KEY area..

some of them hold zero inconsistently.. that means today the red dot shoots good groups.. and tomorrow they are up and left.. so you waste another box of ammo re zeroing the optic.. it holds for a trip or two.. then it is down and left.. waste another box or two.. wasting time doing the SAME SHIT all over again.. it holds for 5.. 6.. 7.. 15.. 20.. range trips.. then all of the sudden it wont even turn on..

my time is valuable.. it is worth more than the 40.. 50.. 60 bucks I might save on a budget red dot... especially when you consider the ammo and time wasted chasing zero..

so see that is the issue.. I TELL you in DETAIL why it is the way it is.. and you literally ignore every word I type..

so it gets to the point where I say the following..

if you are NOT going to listen to us..

if you are NOT going to try to understand the principals behind this stuff..

why are you wasting our time..

we LOVE shooting.. we LOVE helping new shooters.. we LOVE educating..

we do NOT like to waste time.. time is money.. and time is valuable..

so stop wasting our time.. and stop wasting your own time.. it is irritating.. let us help you.. lol

really I can not stress enough.. it is NOTHING personal..

Duely noted.. I plan on getting the primary arms when I get the extra cash. Is that a good purchase?

Duely noted.. I plan on getting the primary arms when I get the extra cash. Is that a good purchase?

Primary Arms sights are very good for the money IMO.

That said I Understand Vlad's Point..I have a friend who works for a different agency than mine..she constantly asks me for advice, then goes and does the opposite, then comes crying when it bites her on the A** it gets frustrating after a while. Believe me however, with a couple of exceptions, i dont think anyone here hasnt been there where you have to go a little cheap for a little bit and upgrade later..you just have to pick WHAT you go cheap on,

Primary Arms sights are very good for the money IMO.

That said I Understand Vlad's Point..I have a friend who works for a different agency than mine..she constantly asks me for advice, then goes and does the opposite, then comes crying when it bites her on the A** it gets frustrating after a while. Believe me however, with a couple of exceptions, i dont think anyone here hasnt been there where you have to go a little cheap for a little bit and upgrade later..you just have to pick WHAT you go cheap on,

I view gun as a complete system.. a system comprised of all the components..

if I am personally given the option of immediate gratification of a "$60 red dot today" I will take that gun.. and throw it in the safe.. till I can afford what I really want..

if I am really set on a $400 red dot.. then that $60 puts me that much more in the hole.. patience is key to building the perfect system.. one that fits the shooter and his shooting style best.. I hear what you are saying.. but honestly.. I would definitely wait it out! and get the best you can afford that fits your style..

I had a question about sighting in my new AR. I have the magpul flip up sights and recently went to Shore Shot to sight it in, and the range master there (x military for 30 years) was very very helpful and walked me through the entire process. When I was done I noticed that for me to hit center on the target at 25 yards my rear sight had to be set almost as far as it goes to the left...Is this normal to happen of is it me or the gun that is off?? With the sight in the center position, the bullets will and far right on the target.

I am left handed, dont know if that matters. If you feel it is the gun could it be the sights are not installed square on the rail or something with the assembly of the gun??

Thanks in advance.

It makes no difference where your head is. For point of impact to be the same as point of aim, you need correct sight picture and alignment. If you have a good sight picture and you hit point of aim at all distances after adjusting for bullet drop, your sights are zeroed correctly. Again, makes no difference where your head is. You must put you head where it needs to be to align the sights on target. Either the sights are aligned and on target or not. That said, if your windage adjustment is at its extreme the sights are mounted incorrectly. I am not familiar with the sights or rifle you have but the principles are the same for all. When mounting sights (or scope) you need to take care to mount them as close to zero as possible so you have adjustability. Now that you have zeroed the sights you need to see if you can move front or rear so that the windage adjustment is more to the center of travel when zeroed. It is a process that sometimes takes a couple of tries. I can't see for crap so I almost always use a scope and consider myself lucky to get the rings and body of the scope in the right place first try without a bore sight. Trick is to center the windage adjustment and then align and mount the sight.

HTH

I view gun as a complete system.. a system comprised of all the components..

if I am personally given the option of immediate gratification of a "$60 red dot today" I will take that gun.. and throw it in the safe.. till I can afford what I really want..

if I am really set on a $400 red dot.. then that $60 puts me that much more in the hole.. patience is key to building the perfect system.. one that fits the shooter and his shooting style best.. I hear what you are saying.. but honestly.. I would definitely wait it out! and get the best you can afford that fits your style..

I agree with Vlad, But in my case I wasnt sure if I was going to like using a micro red dot or not (Aimpoint H-1/T-1) so instead of spending $600+ on an Aimpoint, I bought a PA micro with the ADM qd mount to try it out first. That way if I decided that style wasnt for me I had only spent about $160 on it, and if I did like it, which I do, then I already have a good qd mount for when I have the money to buy an Aimpoint and put the PA micro on another rifle. I have to say overall Im pretty impressed with the PA micro so far, it seems fairly well built for the price and I like the controls WAY better than the ones on the vortex sparc that stick way out the side.