BlueLineFish

Need camera advice

Few things...I'm a pro shooter with Canon SLRs, as well as work at a camera store...My memory can suck for exact prices, so excuse that...I'm not at work and try to avoid thinking of it when I'm not there...

Canon or Nikon...forget anyone else, UNLESS she doesn't want a large camera, in which case, Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras are nice interchangeable lens cameras that offer the power of a dSLR in a more compact system. I will ignore those for now.

Beware of grey market cameras...they do not have US warranties, and you may have issues with warranty service. Nikon USA will NOT touch a grey market item, even if you offer to pay for the repair. Canon is not so picky, they will gladly take your money for out-of-warranty items purchased anywhere...but they will not do warranty service on grey market items.

There are two types of "kits" - manufacturer kit, which means camera and lens(es) (plus normal accessories included with every camera), and store kits, which is the above, plus additional crap the store wants to get rid of. Store kits, at least 90% of em I've seen from other store's customers, are garbage. Slow memory cards, horrible uncoated glass filters that degrade image quality, a camera bag 2 sizes too small or too large, and tripods that probably fall over if you look at them wrong. Buy cheap, and buy twice, or buy quality and save in the long run. Figure for good accessories, you will need a good memory card, filter, and camera bag. Those are the minimums you should buy with a dSLR.

Almost all companies have a minimum price for their gear. Nikon pricing should be within $3 of what everyone else has. Bigger difference than that (well, lower), the seller is in violation of nikon policies, and may not be allowed to sell that item for a while if they are caught. If a price is substantially lower, RUN. There is some problem, be it scam or whatever...don't get pulled in by just price.

If anyone around you is prone to knocking things over, consider a Mack warranty. Ones we offer will cover whatever you do to the camera, other than fire, loss, or theft. Means rain, sand, dropping, running it over (and even all of those at once) are covered, as long as you scrape together as many pieces as you can, including serial number plates. Pricey, but covers it for 3 years, and it has saved people some serious money.

Canon T3 is a cheap camera and feels it. I hate selling them, simply because I feel Canon held back on features to get it to the price, which should be $500 until June 2nd. Not sure where they are going from there. That $100 off one, no idea how they are doing that, because it is well below cost.

Nikon D3100 is pretty newbie friendly, feels better than the T3, and is a better constructed camera. It has a useful built-in guide mode...helpful for new shooters. Camera itself is around $550.

D3200 is out, and has been for a few weeks, it is a bit better camera than the 3100, and costs around $700 IIRC. I am concerned with the camera's low light performance, however, due to the high resolution, it is not as good in lower light (more grain/noise in the high ISO pictures).

T3i is also a good performer, a step up from the entry models, and it shows. Faster framerate, better build, high res flip out screen. With the 18-55 IS lens, $750, $950 with the 18-135.

D5100 is on par with the T3i, similar camera in almost all respects, but about $650 with the 18-55 kit thanks to new rebates (instant in store rebates), since the 3200 will be screwing up sales of the 5100...

Peteswife - Canon APS-C cameras can take EF and EF-S lenses without a problem. Only EF lenses work on full frame cameras, and those will not physically mount EF-S lenses from Canon. Third party lenses may physically mount, but could damage the mirror. However, one would know if they had a full-frame camera, as they are not cameras intended for beginners.

I probably forgot to post half of what I intended, but this is a start.

My $0.02, if significant other really wants to learn photography, don't buy a camera with any "beginner" modes, and load up on books from Joe McNally and David Hobby.

If she just wants a camera to take good photos, buy anything Nikon or Cannon in your price range with scene modes. Also, photography makes shooting look cheap, but like shooting, it's a wonderful hobby. Enjoy.

@ supertele - I thought the lenses packaged with Rebels did not work on the other Canons?? I only shoot Nikon :) ( D700 , D3 , F5 , and soon to be a D800 ) . Where is your camera store?

Ditto on the low light . Packing MPs on a chip has its advantages and disadvantages. I use the FX format 12MPs for concert ..plan to use the D800 for the model/fashion stuff. I have turned down a few jobs before because I did not have a medium format camera to do the huge wall sized posters.I have had my eye on a used Hassy , but am willing to see what sizes I can get out of the 36 MP D800 .

The package lenses are EF-S lenses, and will work on any Digital Rebel, 20/30/40/50/60D, and 7D. The EF-S lenses will not work on a film camera, 1D series, or 5D series. EF lenses will work on any Canon autofocus camera, digital or film. They may act like a longer focal length, but thats common to any crop sensor camera...

Store is in Parsippany.

Youll like the 800...ive played with 4 so far...hate me much?

Dajonga made an excellent statement when he said the lens is the most important. Try to buy a camera with a Leica lens. They are probably the best

of the best. Leica has been making lenses since 1935 and they do it right .I believe Nikon makes one but you can check it out on their web site. I have a Leica camera and my lens goes from 35 mm to 420mm and is only about 3 inches long. My camera might be a little heavy for your wife that is why I am suggesting that you find a brand name camera with a Leica lens.

Good luck and good hunting

Scig

don't forget to check BJs or Costco for their DSLR bundles. I checked out my friend's new Nikon J1 (or was it a V1?) and it was small, with interchangeable lenses, and good quality photographs. just remember that having an expensive camera doesn't mean you'll take better pictures. you have to learn how to use an SLR properly to make use of its capabilities.

Youll like the 800...ive played with 4 so far...hate me much?

No , you're my new friend lol

How did you like the low light? I am always leary when high packed MP chips claim low noise. I shoot in RAW with all the camera bells and whistles ( like in camera noise reduction) off ..so I am not interested in how good the in camera "smearing" is to reduce noise. They tell me there is new technology in the new D series cameras that reduces noise without any parlor tricks and without slowing the camera down ( I shoot some low light no flash allowed sports..I don't have time for the camera to chug through its consumer tricks on each image..I can fix any noise in RAW well better than the camera can).

OK , sorry BLF for hijacking. :) Your wife will really flip over a new DSLR. Trust me :) Good luck!

D800 acts like the D700 in terms of low light performance, amazingly enough. New technology and microlensing and all that fun stuff...but quality is up there. Coworker (who i took shooting for his first times) now is a tech rep for nikon...he loves his 800. He does say you wanna shoot it at higher shutter speeds than you would normally...like 2x or even 3x higher. He was also saying the files are 45mb compressed and 75mb uncompressed. It is not a sports camera by any means...id say the 5dIII is a tad better at that...though the 7D, and D300s are better sports cameras...or 1D or D4 series for those of us with that level if cameras...i love mine...(1DIIN bodies and 1Ds)

I too am sorry for derailing the thread...

Having always been a Canon fan, going all the way back to the F-1, I had a Rebel, but switched to Nikon after getting a D90 for my job,(documenting fire scenes) fell in love with that one, and bought the D5100 as a kit from Costco. They have a huge return policy (very liberal), and the camera came with both a wide angle to normal and a telephoto plus a a camera bag. All for less than a grand. i think the prices have dropped since then to about $800 and change. You won't be disappointed.

So Joe what did you wind up getting, I also broke down and got a camera, I was flipping coins between the D5200 and Canon T4i (T5i) didn't have enough difference to warrant the price difference for me so I got the T4i and am having a blast with it.

Nikon d series. I dont remember what model. I never use it. Wife does. It takes good pics. She uses it seldomly. Glad i spent so much on one.

Nikon d series. I dont remember what model. I never use it. Wife does. It takes good pics. She uses it seldomly. Glad i spent so much on one.

same here, we had a meet last week for the race club and i said take some pics of the boats lined up.  no  camera imagine that...

My dad owns a photo lab/camera shop in Jersey City. He'll take good care of you, PM me if you want the phone number or address. He's 2a friendly and I think he has a couple paper targets hanging in the shop!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad owns a photo lab/camera shop in Jersey City. He'll take good care of you, PM me if you want the phone number or address. He's 2a friendly and I think he has a couple paper targets hanging in the shop!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will also keep this in mind.

I know I'm late to the table here buy am an avid Nikon guy. I have owned d40, D80, D90, D5000, D300, D700 and D800e. All will take good pictures. Cameras are consumer electronics and are outdated quickly and drop in price quickly. Put your money is good lenses. I have purchased almost all my stuff very lightly used on Craigslist and done very well. Have someone who knows the stuff go with you and you can score some big savings. Now that the D7100 is out I would highly suggest a low mileage D7000 as the best deal in town.