Am I allowed to purchase ammunition online and possess it in N.J. if I don't have my FOID yet?

Thanks,

-Plasma133

You can not acquire handgun ammunition while in NJ without first having obtained a FPID or P2P, whether it is shipped to you, acquired privately, or through a dealer.

No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

Speaking of Ammo.

Where is the law that states you have to give your FOID # to purchase ammo in NJ.

Someone I know has recently put in his FOID paperwork and was looking to purchase ammo.

The online url's he perused either didnt ship handgun ammo of required his FID on file.

Whenever I purchase in NJ I'am asked for my card, yet he says he cant find anything stating it is a requirement to purchase ammo.

Any help on this?

AIM surplus, and Southern Ohio Gun require both a FOID and DL for ammunition, while Midway USA just needs a DL.

Personally i like the first two, have ordered alot of ammo from AIM and SOG, I also run over to Ammo Man, but that is usually when a few of us go to do a group buy of ammo.

Am I allowed to purchase ammunition online and possess it in N.J. if I don't have my FOID yet?

Thanks,

-Plasma133

Yeah, you can probably buy that stuff. Also, perhaps it's a matter of mere semantics, But FID, or FPID are the proper terms. You don't need an FID to OWN a firearm, only to PURCHASE. May seem a minor issue, but it's a huge one for rights and such actually.

Technically you are breaking the law by purchasing ammo without the FID. Just because some companies will ship it to you without one, doesn't mean it's legal.

Only for HG ammo, I thought..?

Technically you are breaking the law by purchasing ammo without the FID. Just because some companies will ship it to you without one, doesn't mean it's legal.

Does not apply to rifle ammunition. OP stated they wish to purchase 7.62x39.

But I have a handgun that shoots that ammo. :facepalm:

What an instigator. You know as well as I do that the law defines handgun ammunition as that specifically designed to be used in a handgun. The 7.62x39 is first and foremost a rifle round.

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

For those wanting to know the statute that refers to handgun ammunition purchases:

2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

c.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of handgun ammunition to a person who is under 21 years of age.

d.The provisions of this section shall not apply to a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics who purchases, receives, acquires, possesses, or transfers handgun ammunition which is recognized as being historical in nature or of historical significance.

e.A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree, except that nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the sale, transfer, assignment or disposition of handgun ammunition to or the purchase, receipt or acceptance of ammunition by a law enforcement agency or law enforcement official for law enforcement purposes.

f.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of ammunition for use in a lawfully transferred firearm in accordance with the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1), section 1 of P.L.1997, c.375 (C.2C:58-3.2) or section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179 (C.2C:58-6.1).

g.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the sale of a de minimis amount of handgun ammunition at a firearms range operated by a licensed dealer; a law enforcement agency; a legally recognized military organization; or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent for immediate use at that range.

L.2007, c.318, s.1.