Sign in to follow this  
deleteme

Question about purchasing a pistol in new jersey

Hey everyone, I am new here, and I'm sure this has been answered thousands of times. I apologize if this is a redundant post, but I scrolled through quite a few pages of posts without seeing the same question.

I already have my "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD". When I applied for and got it (a few years ago) they gave me some pistol purchasing permits along with it, which have since expired.

How do I go about getting a pistol permit? I am ready to buy one now. Do I need to go through this whole process again with fingerprints and background checks and letters of reccomendations?

I checked the state police website and downloaded the form (pdf), but it looks to be the same one i filled out originally for the card.

Any help at all would be appreciated, I'd like to get the ball rolling on this!

As an aside, anyone in the Summit area know of any places to buy a FN45 Tactical? Like i said, I've never purchased a handgun before! Do i need to order online to a store? I do not know the procedure at all!

Thanks Everyone!

I"m a newbie and i will take my turn answering this question..

you go to the police department in your town and tell them you want to apply for a Permission to Purchase a handgun form. They will hand you various forms to fill out including a 1) mental health background check 2) personal references form and various other ones depending on the town.

You fill them out and then you WAIT. you WAIT.. you WAIT. different towns take different time periods. If you look harder on this site you can see how long. some towns one month.. other towns 6 months.. If you wonder why its different.. just keep looking harder on the site it is discussed ad nauseaum..

The federal ID card you have lasts forever. you can buy rifles / shotguns with that card. but you need PERMISSION TO PURCHASE a handgun from your local police department every single time you want one.

the above is the nutshell answer to your question..

ok so i basically need to go through the whole process again, and since i moved it may be different because it is a different town. wonderful lol.

Thank you for the answer, Barms

edit:

what about a rifle? can i just order one online? do i need to fill out more forms?

BTW- you may have issues trying to by anything if your FPID does not match the address on your DL assuming its been up-dated to your new address. No FFL/dealer will sell you/transfer if they dont match.

If you're going to go through the whole process and the wait, mine as well order 3, no additional cost from the state....give you some additional flexibility in the month or two after your original purchase if something else strikes your fancy....better than doing the whole process over for one gone at a time.......

When you go to fill out purchase request you will also check change off address box and they will issue you a new FID card when you come back to get your handgun permit. New fingerprint etc. I don't even think they asked to see my driver lic, after all, they are doing a "thorough" background check on you. A drivers license would seem trivial compared to a mental health search, LOL!

OK - here's the correct information. Applying for Permits to Purchase a handgun (P2P) is exactly the same prodess as applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPID) - which is state issued, not Federal.

The application process consists of the actual application (form STS-033), a mental health check (form sp-066) - both of these forms are downloadable from the NJSP website. And, either fingerprinting, done by an independent contractor (Sagem Morpho aka Morpho Trak) or a non-criminal background check (form SP-212A). Fingerprinting is only done upon initial application, however, if you move and your new residence is in a different jurisdiction, your new PD may require you to be fingerprinted again. Subsequent applications for P2P's would entail the SP-212A in leiu of fingerprinting. The SP-212A has a cost of $18 payable to the NJSP / SBI.

Those are the only three things that your PD can legally require of you as written in the NJ statutes. Any other forms or additional requirements are illegal. It is up to you if you wish to make an issue of any added forms or requirements. We encourage people to urge their PD's to comply with the law.

As was noted, the information on your FPID or P2P's has to match that on your DL.

You can apply for an FPID address change as well as any P2P's desired using the same form (STS-033). The charge for an FPID is $5 and for a P2P is $2.

Hope this helps.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

ETA: Form SP-212A is only available from your local PD

I"m a newbie and i will take my turn answering this question..

you go to the police department in your town and tell them you want to apply for a Permission to Purchase a handgun form. They will hand you various forms to fill out including a 1) mental health background check 2) personal references form and various other ones depending on the town.

You fill them out and then you WAIT. you WAIT.. you WAIT. different towns take different time periods. If you look harder on this site you can see how long. some towns one month.. other towns 6 months.. If you wonder why its different.. just keep looking harder on the site it is discussed ad nauseaum..

The federal ID card you have lasts forever. you can buy rifles / shotguns with that card. but you need PERMISSION TO PURCHASE a handgun from your local police department every single time you want one.

the above is the nutshell answer to your question..

Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's called a "PERMIT" to Purchase, not "Permission". I know the word Permit means giving authorization or permission, but I never heard it called "Permission to Purchase". Just say you want a Permit to Purchase a handgun otherwise they may look at you strange.

Maybe I misread it, but I think he meant that you need to get permission from your PD to purchase a handgun. He wasn't referring to the form, but rather the "Mother, may I" act of getting permission to purchase a handgun.

Of course, he called the FPID a federal ID card, which it isn't. So maybe he was talking about the form...