Justjules

Primary Arms Red dot sights?

How are they? Im looking for a cheaper red dot sight for my AR-15 and I am on a budget, and do not want to spend $600 on an Eotech. I know Im going to get the old , "you get what you pay for" and "eotech rs god" but I really want to come in under $300 for the red dot sight and magnifier combo and was thinking of primary arms?What your views on their products?

Their are good for what they are. They are not aimpoints, they will not take the abuse an aimpoint can take, the dots are not as clean or sharp, they are not water proofed to stupid depth although they are water resistant, the optic quality is less, and the battery life is about 1/50th of an aimpoint. They are however accurate, hold zero, have better battery life then most things on the market, they can take a moderate beating and have better quality dots then many higher price optics. If you don't expect it to go to war they are good, specially for the price.

Their are good for what they are. They are not aimpoints, they will not take the abuse an aimpoint can take, the dots are not as clean or sharp, they are not water proofed to stupid depth although they are water resistant, the optic quality is less, and the battery life is about 1/50th of an aimpoint. They are however accurate, hold zero, have better battery life then most things on the market, they can take a moderate beating and have better quality dots then many higher price optics. If you don't expect it to go to war they are good, specially for the price.

That is exactly what I'm looking for.

I've got the Primary Arms multi-reticle aimpoint clone http://www.primaryar...M3M_p/pam3m.htm and love it... For the price, you can't beat it. Is it an Aimpoint??? No, of course not... but I'm also not looking to take my rifle into battle, either... So for my purposes (fun at the range) it works great. Mine has the 2 MOA dot and it is very clear, crisp dot. I also have the Primary Arms 3X magnifier with the quick disconnect mount and that works great too. Using this combo I've been able to put together very nice tight groups at 100 yds with my carbine AR.

I've got the Primary Arms multi-reticle aimpoint clone http://www.primaryar...M3M_p/pam3m.htm and love it... For the price, you can't beat it. Is it an Aimpoint??? No, of course not... but I'm also not looking to take my rifle into battle, either... So for my purposes (fun at the range) it works great. Mine has the 2 MOA dot and it is very clear, crisp dot. I also have the Primary Arms 3X magnifier with the quick disconnect mount and that works great too. Using this combo I've been able to put together very nice tight groups at 100 yds with my carbine AR.

That is the exact one I was looking at!!

Just a heads up, that if you're looking for the micro-dot model from Primary Arms, they will have a newer/updated version of that sight in the next couple of months. I was talking to one of the guys from PA over the phone a couple of weeks ago and he told me that they will offer a newer, better version of the Micro Dot and also newer and better version of their green dot holo-sight in the very near future. They are in the process of getting them manufactured and shipped to the states as we speak, or at least that is what the guy told me.

For me it came down to the PA micro dot and the vortex sparc. The sparc had a couple of distinct advantages that I liked over the micro dot. It came with the absolute co-witness base and the shim if I wanted a lower 1/3 co-witness; and it has the limited lifetime warranty. Additionally it came with the 2x magnifier and is night vision ready, but these 2 things I really didn't need. Unfortunately PA products like the micro dot are also sold out quite often as well.

I just bought this one. Very happy with it so far. I don't plan on going to war so this sight has what I needed for waaaaay less than the others. I plan on getting the magnifier soon.

I just got the PA micro dot yesterday with the American Defense QD riser mount with killflash and i love it so far. I havent shot with it yet, but well built, clear reticle and glass, solid. I got a good deal on it too, Primary Arms was running a deal on it last week, im not sure if it is still going on.

IMG_3927.jpg

For the people with the PA Multi-Reticle, what mount did you get? The high AR15 cantilever from PA or something else? Also, how quick is it to acquire targets with? I'm considering getting one for use both at 50-100yd from a bench as well as short ranges while moving (USPSA/3gun style). I feel like the open style (reflex type) would be quicker to acquire targets and maintain peripheral vision, but I've never really used either type, so I could be worried for nothing.

For the people with the PA Multi-Reticle, what mount did you get? The high AR15 cantilever from PA or something else? Also, how quick is it to acquire targets with? I'm considering getting one for use both at 50-100yd from a bench as well as short ranges while moving (USPSA/3gun style). I feel like the open style (reflex type) would be quicker to acquire targets and maintain peripheral vision, but I've never really used either type, so I could be worried for nothing.

I use the cantilevered mount from PA and it works great. Gives me perfect lower 1/3rd co-witness with my BUIS. The sight is great and very quick to acquire targets with for close up shooting. For bench shooting at 100 yrds or over, I suggest picking up a 3x magnifier from PA as well... Makes it much easier to get nice tight groups. Here's a shot of my setup with the PA scope and the 3x magnifier:

TonyAR2a.jpg

I got the cantilever mount. I thought about the reflex type myself but ended up liking this one more. Results may vary.

This.... I have one on a .22, I havent tried it on a .556 so i cant really say how it's hold up, What i HAVE found to be pretty decent for the price is the vortex SPARC however..it may be right on the edge of your price range, but im VERY impressed with mine.

Primary Arms

katies04.jpg

SPARC

ZDU205.jpg

Here is another question... Magnifier before the sight or after the sight? I have heard 2 arguments on this, but what it the proper way?

Between the RDS and your eye. You want a bigger image, not a smaller image with things in it that are bigger. More field of vision = safer shooter. Tunnel vision (essentially what you will get if the magnifier is in front of the RDS) is never good.

Between the RDS and your eye. You want a bigger image, not a smaller image with things in it that are bigger. More field of vision = safer shooter. Tunnel vision (essentially what you will get if the magnifier is in front of the RDS) is never good.

+1 Totally agree

IMO I like the versatility of a red dot with a magnifier on a flip or quick detach mount as apposed to a scope. It just gives you the option to take it off and be light weight as apposed to an adjustable zoom scope. But like Lug Nutz said, it’s all about your situation and what you want to use it for. For me that makes the gun most versatile.

As much as I like my red dot on my AR... I'd be lying if I didn't sometimes wish I had a nice scope on it instead. I've used scopes for hunting for a long time and like to use them for more accurate shooting. As most of my shooting is for fun/plinking, I guess I could go either way with it... The red dot just seemed like the way to go at the time when I built my rifle. You could always look into a 1-4x AR style scope with an illuminated dot at the center of the crosshair that would be somewhat like using a red dot at 1x. Primary Arms actually has a really nice one for about $120 I think, that has gotten some really nice reviews from folks over on AR15.com

If you want something for run and gun, and need speedy target acquisition... then the red dot is your best choice. If you're looking for something to punch paper with, with better accuracy and over longer ranges, I'd go with a scope.

Here is yet another question..lol At what point would you choose a scope over a red dot+magnifier?

two totally different applications..

red dot - fast move and shoot rapid multiple target engagement... with giving up some precision, and sacrificing maximum range

scope - putting holes in holes.. slightly more accurate.. increased distance due to magnification.. giving up speed and rapid transition from target to target..

there are exceptions and varying degrees.. for instance.. a 3x scope will be far easier to transition between multiple targets when compared to a 16x optic... when compared at 100 yards..

If you want something for run and gun, and need speedy target acquisition... then the red dot is your best choice. If you're looking for something to punch paper with, with better accuracy and over longer ranges, I'd go with a scope.

Interesting, so you would prefer a scope over the 3x magnifier then? I was thinking of the 3x magnifier as that would give me some options. How far would the magnifier be good for?

Interesting, so you would prefer a scope over the 3x magnifier then? I was thinking of the 3x magnifier as that would give me some options. How far would the magnifier be good for?

depends on your eyes.. depends on the target... and it depends on the degree of accuracy you are seeking...

as in.. at 200 yards... a red dot is plenty adequate to hit 12in steel plates... but at 200 yards if you are trying to do bullseye shooting a scope might be better...

it really depends on what you are trying to do.. what distances..