9supratt4

Old 18 round rifle illegal?

I was fondling a Ruger Scout .308 with a flash hider just the other day. I don't believe that it was pinned, either.

Ruger Scout Rifle = bolt action (right?), so no assault weapon rules apply to it. You can add an adjustable stock, bayonet lug, 2 flash hiders and a chainsaw and it will still be legal.

Yes, the Ruger Scout Rifle is bolt action. That means that basically anything is fair game, as long as you still abide by the federal OAL and barrel length laws.

Yeah....I'm not so sure I follow on how this will work.........

By creating a permanent dent (ring) around the brass inner magazine tube, the spring-loaded follower inside will only travel far enough to allow 15 .22LR rounds to be loaded in the rifle.

A bit of measuring (and trying) is in order.

Worst that happens is you totally ruin the inner tube and need to buy a new replacement from Midway, which you will, of course, need to alter to make the rifle jersey-legal.

(Midway Product #: 836115, Marlin #: G5075220-00)

Remember to replace the cutter wheel with a washer so you don't cut the brass inner tube.

By creating a permanent dent (ring) around the brass inner magazine tube, the spring-loaded follower inside will only travel far enough to allow 15 .22LR rounds to be loaded in the rifle.

A bit of measuring (and trying) is in order.

Worst that happens is you totally ruin the inner tube and need to buy a new replacement from Midway, which you will, of course, need to alter to make the rifle jersey-legal.

(Midway Product #: 836115, Marlin #: G5075220-00)

Remember to replace the cutter wheel with a washer so you don't cut the brass inner tube.

By...inner magazine tube, you mean the tube in which is removed to load the rounds correct? Then make a dent in that so the spring in that can't compress for more than 15 rounds?

I'm hoping to take on this project this weekend.

If this rifle is marked ".22 Long Rifle, .22 Long, .22 Short", you are screwed.

Please explain?????

By...inner magazine tube, you mean the tube in which is removed to load the rounds correct? Then make a dent in that so the spring in that can't compress for more than 15 rounds?

I'm hoping to take on this project this weekend.

Please explain?????

Its something like this... Because 22 shorts are physically shorter than 22 LR's, if you crimp your tube to limit it to only 15 22LR's, it will still hold 16+ 22Shorts and that's no bueno. In the case of it being explicitly labeled as "22LR, 22Short", you'd have to cater to the lowest common denominator of the caliber the rifle is *labeled* as shooting and that will be 22 Short. If its only marked 22LR, then that's what it "officially" shoots and the fact that it will fire a 22short is coincidental. But if its explicitly labeled with 22 short, it needs to abide by that as well.

Similarly, if you have a 40S&W magazine that will hold only 15 rounds, thats ok even though you can take said magazine and load it and use it with 16+ 9mm luger rounds (if the feed lips are narrow enough and some are!) which is purely coincidental and ok since its intended to only feed 40S&W.

Its something like this... Because 22 shorts are physically shorter than 22 LR's, if you crimp your tube to limit it to only 15 22LR's, it will still hold 16+ 22Shorts and that's no bueno. In the case of it being explicitly labeled as "22LR, 22Short", you'd have to cater to the lowest common denominator of the caliber the rifle is *labeled* as shooting and that will be 22 Short. If its only marked 22LR, then that's what it "officially" shoots and the fact that it will fire a 22short is coincidental. But if its explicitly labeled with 22 short, it needs to abide by that as well.

Similarly, if you have a 40S&W magazine that will hold only 15 rounds, thats ok even though you can take said magazine and load it and use it with 16+ 9mm luger rounds (if the feed lips are narrow enough and some are!) which is purely coincidental and ok since its intended to only feed 40S&W.

This is all moot. The rifle is semi-automatic. It will not function with .22 Long or .22 Short. It will only be labeled, and only function with .22 Long Rifle.

Everything I am finding states 22 LR only...wish I could find a manual, but not having any luck. I called Marlin and the only thing they could tell me was year of manufacture, which is actually '73, not '74 as first thought.

Here you go...

http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_60.pdf

You know, you're absolutely right. I mean, you *could* have a semi-auto 22 short, but imagine how much mass you;d have to take off the bolt to get it to cycle (if at all)? lol

Maybe a semi-auto that shoots and cycles super colibri's! That would be sweet!

Just got some ammo...I need to score the inner tube and take off 3 inches....

I also need to find out why the round isn't loading correctly. The round loads but the charging handle won't close. It seems like the round isn't loading into the chamber correctly or straight.

its going to sound stupid, ut I have had some in the shop that come in with the handle on the bolt pushed into the receiver and locked up, Only after you pull the handle away from the gun does it allow the bolt to move all the way forward.

looking at it from the top, pull the bot out to the right with a decent amount of force.

its going to sound stupid, ut I have had some in the shop that come in with the handle on the bolt pushed into the receiver and locked up, Only after you pull the handle away from the gun does it allow the bolt to move all the way forward.

looking at it from the top, pull the bot out to the right with a decent amount of force.

Thanks!! I was aware of that already. I cleaned it all out a bit and it seems to chamber the round fine when the bolt closes quickly, but if I hold and guide the bolt closed, the round twists and gets stuck.

Since I've never cleaned a gun before, and this thing is in need of some serious cleaning....I'm going to meet up with a friend who can show me the proper way to disassemble and clean this thing....hopefully that helps.

You know, you're absolutely right. I mean, you *could* have a semi-auto 22 short, but imagine how much mass you;d have to take off the bolt to get it to cycle (if at all)? lol

Maybe a semi-auto that shoots and cycles super colibri's! That would be sweet!

Remington did make a model of the Nylon 66 in 22 short only. It was made for shooting galleries but was also sold to the general public.

Just checked the barrel....stamped on the barrel states .22 LR Only

That may be what is stamped but the gun will still shoot .22 shorts, it just won't cycle the action. As far as the state is concerned if it holds more than 15 .22 shorts it is stil considred an assault weapon since it has a semi-automatic action. The tube will need to be shortened enough to not allow more than 15 .22 shorts which will limit you to more like 12 rounds of .22lr.

I can't rememebr where/when it was, but I believe there is case law supposrting this.

That may be what is stamped but the gun will still shoot .22 shorts, it just won't cycle the action. As far as the state is concerned if it holds more than 15 .22 shorts it is stil considred an assault weapon since it has a semi-automatic action. The tube will need to be shortened enough to not allow more than 15 .22 shorts which will limit you to more like 12 rounds of .22lr.

I can't rememebr where/when it was, but I believe there is case law supposrting this.

I'd like to see that, being that would make the word's "continuously feed" meaningless..

There was another thread somewhere talking about something similar with mags. If I remember correctly, it was said that if a mag is for a certain caliber and only holds the 15, but can hold more than that of a smaller caliber, then it is just coincidence and to label that mag for the larger caliber only and you'd be fine.

So in my case, if the gun is stamped by the manufacturer for 22lr only and I modify it to accept only 15 of 22lr then I should be fine....

Harry hit the nail on the head. The NJ definition of a high capacity magazine includes the phrase he indicates - "must continuously feed". If the bolt has to be manually cycled (as it would have to be with anything but .22 LR, then it does not meet the definition. It was on this tecnicality that Brian Aitken skated on the hi-cap mag charges - the police never dynamically tested the mags, therefore could not testify that they could "continuously feed" more than 15 rounds.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Harry hit the nail on the head. The NJ definition of a high capacity magazine includes the phrase he indicates - "must continuously feed". If the bolt has to be manually cycled (as it would have to be with anything but .22 LR, then it does not meet the definition. It was on this tecnacality that Brian Aitken skated on the hi-cap mag charges - the police never dynamically tested the mags, therefore could not testify that they could "continuously feed" more than 15 rounds.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cool...then I'm good!!

i wouldnt worry to much about it. i had a bad break up years before i was married. i was at a bar with one girl and the ex wasnt so happy. she signed a temp ro on me. it only lasted a few days and at the first court date it was dropped. judges always grant a temp ro to a woman. but when i was served i had to turn in the guns i had. (back then it wasnt many) but one was a marlin tube fed .22 that i had no clue was illegal. not only did they not say a word about it but the prosecutors office gave it back to me. i may still have the release papers somewhere filed. i seriously doubt the state police are raiding houses over marlin .22's. i sat and talked to an officer in the firearms unit about gun laws and the way he put it is if you just have the gun and only go to the range they dont care. these rules are in effect to be able to put longer sentences on criminals.

now that im thinking about it the marlin had a threaded barrel also.

I had the same problem i moved here from pa and i have a glenfield model 60.I ordered a new tube from numrich it ended up being the same one i had an 18 round which i sent back for a refund.Numrich said they do not carry a 15 round tube for the older long magazine tube style rifle only the newer short tube models.So i called a gunsmith in millville and for 26.00 he crimped it for me and made it 15 rounds.I was going to try and do the pipe cutter with a washer trick which i hear works great but if i ruined the tube it would be cheaper to let the gunsmith do it.Plus if i ran into legal trouble a NJ gunsmith did the work not me so it covered my butt legally.