well the title says it all me my fiance , sister and brother in law all went out this morning to go skydiving and it was awesome.

total weightlessness and just floating down. we jumped at 10,000 ft and pulled the shoot at 5,000 feet.

In my opinion the best part was falling out of the plane, it was such a crazy feeling, if any of you have been wanting to do it I say go ASAP.

It was totally awesome and felt nothing like it before.

some pictures will come when the guy i jumped with posts them on his web page lol this thread will deliver but it will be regular mail so expect a 1 or 2 day wait time.

So much fun! Congratulations! I need to go back and do some more.

You didn't go tethered to someone, did you?

ya it was a tandem

How is that drop compared to say, a roller coaster?

nothing like a rollercoaster it was complete weightlessness and the initial jump out of the plane was the most fun, you lean out of the plane until the wind hits you and the wind throws you off the side of the plane and it is a crazy feeling

Where did you go ? Pete is ( well , he is on hiatus , but) an avid skydiver for the last 20 or so years. He has over 1200 jumps. I went twice. Because I had a crush on Pete who was my martial arts instructor. After we were solid , I felt no need to jump out of a perfectly good...ah , you know the saying.

Nick - nothing like the stomach drop you feel from a coaster. You leave the plane but you momentum carries you enough sideways so it is not a direct down drop. No butterflies. Unless you jump out of a 'copter.

I jumped last year once. The freefall was cool, but once I got under canopy all I wanted was to be on the ground! I fly for a living, and the whole 'lets jump out of a plane!' thing...was interesting....

I agree, if there is a chance of the plane landing or even me landing it, That will happen first, no way I'm getting out of an A/C that can land. Yes, this coming from a Hang Glider guy, and I do wear a parachute when I fly, but only have seen it's colors when it's being repacked.. :icon_mrgreen:

What is this country coming too, You need a license to jump out of a plane?

It's not a government mandated license. Most commercial dropzones in the US and most skydivers in the US are members of the USPA. The USPA issues standards for safety and instruction curriculum and members agree to abide by those standard. Some dropzones might not require it or if you have a friend with a plane, it is possible to jump legally without a license, but if you want to do it more than once, you should be competent with the equipment, emergency procedures and control.

An "A License", issued by USPA, has a minimum jump number and proficiency requirements for control in freefall and under canopy and emergency procedures. As a student learns, the requirements are signed off in their log by an instructor or coach. When they've shown they are competent, the A license allows them to travel to other dropzones and show that they are competent to jump without an instructor and with other skydivers.

Advanced licenses, B-D, or minimum suggested logged jumps allow participation in beach jumps, night jumps and other specialized disciplines including wingsuits and boards.

If it doesn't appeal to you, that's fine, it's not for everyone. There's no room for peer pressure in skydiving, you only jump for yourself. Skydivers jump for a number of reasons. Adrenaline, freedom, camaraderie and adventure. It is all about human flight and self reliance. If you've ever stood on a bridge and jumped into water, you know the urge to jump. If you ever wanted to make that freefall last for longer and still land safely, you know the urge to skydive.

If you've ever held your hand out the car window while driving down the highway and you felt the wind move your hand up and down as you change the angle of your palm, you know how to control your body against the 120+ mph wind of freefall. At 10,000 feet, height doesn't even factor in the equation, your mind can't comprehend the distance. When you jump, as IrishPete'swife said, the momentum carries you forward, and the 80 knot headwind is so near your terminal velocity, you're not so much dropping as sliding down the hill, from horizontal motion to your vertical freefall.

Once you're out the door, you can move forward and back, left, right, increase speed, decrease speed, flip, roll or whatever you like just by changing how the wind hits your body, or your control surfaces in human flight.

And under canopy, you're the pilot and can be as exciting or serene as you like. Gliding along with friends, chasing hawks over the treetops or aggressively swooping a landing. It's freedom that few people ever experience.

What is this country coming too, You need a license to jump out of a plane?

Just a way to make money similar to organizations like PADI and NAUI for scuba diving. Unfortunately they get their hooks into businesses and unless you play by their rules the businesses will shut you out, making it hard to enjoy the sport.

Just a way to make money similar to organizations like PADI and NAUI for scuba diving. Unfortunately they get their hooks into businesses and unless you play by their rules the businesses will shut you out, making it hard to enjoy the sport.

A better analogy is that they're like the NRA. USPA does do a lot of lobby work to keep the government from over regulating the sport. Play by their rules and everyone can enjoy the sport. Act like a fool and jeopardize the safety of other jumpers and people and property on the ground and it jeopardizes the sport for the whole community if the FAA feels the sport community is not safe.

The Ranch in Gardiner NY has nice big planes , not just Cessnas .Higher altitudes . The instructors are tops , and it is an incredibly fun place to hang out at after the last load goes up . Or , if you are in South Jersey try Cross Keys .

My mother was really hardcore into that. She has more than 1000 jumps, held several all-Soviet Union records on precision jumping, trained with paratroopers and then trained them. All my life I've been hearing from her how awesome skydiving is, so I always wanted to try it, well, all my life, but there's always this "no time for that" situation. Plus, I hate to do something alone without my guys -- and my wife absolutely doesn't want to skydive, and my kids are still to young for that (there is a 18 years of age limit everywhere). Last month, my wife has cut through that not by buying me a skydiving session as a birthday gift. I am looking forward to using it up by the end of June.

I jumped with the same outfit a few weeks ago - it's been on my list of personal greatest fears for a while now, so I had to do it. It's sheer unadulterated terror for the few seconds that it takes you and the instructor to stabilize and reach terminal velocity - and awesome from then on. Definitely doing it again and possibly considering AFF.

-

I jumped with the same outfit a few weeks ago - it's been on my list of personal greatest fears for a while now, so I had to do it. It's sheer unadulterated terror for the few seconds that it takes you and the instructor to stabilize and reach terminal velocity - and awesome from then on. Definitely doing it again and possibly considering AFF.

-

those first few seconds is my favorite part lol