Ok, I kinda did an IDPA event once. It was a 3-gun match and I got a few penalties for dropping mags that were not completely empty. Any difference in equipment between the two types of events? I like using a revolver and moon clips.

Mike:

IDPA requires more thought because there are more rules. Shorter COF's (max 18 round), always load behind cover. Can only drop a mag when gun is at slide lock - otherwise must retain partial mag - even an empty mag if a round is still in the chamber.

While there are minor and major PF's there is no splitting within division. SSP is minor / ESP is minor / CDP is major / SSR is minor / ESR is major.

SSP = Safe action & DA/SA guns / ESP = SA guns / CDP = .45 ACP max 8-rd / SSR = revolvers loaded with speedloaders - this division has the lowest PF at 105 - the other minor & major factors are the same as USPSA / ESR = revolvers with moonclips.

Less equipment needed. For pistols just a holster, a double mag pouch (or two singles) and three mags. For revolvers, a holster and an approved means of carrying three speedloaders or moonclips - two in front of the holster, one behind or on the weak side or all three on the weakside.

Here's the rulebook...

http://www.idpa.com/documents/idparulebook2005.pdf

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Now I'm confused Bob. I thought DA/SA was ESP since SSP is "double action, double action only or safe action" and ESP doesn't explicitly note action type except for mods excluding it from SSP.

Is "double action" supposed to read as DA/SA?

DA/SA is SSP. It just means that when the gun is drawn from the holster, it has to be in double action mode. My Px4 is DA/SA - it starts decocked. If you have a DA/SA gun that can do SA with a safety, you can shoot it in ESP with it cocked/hammer back in SA mode - as long as the safety's on.

Also - SSP - Safe action pistols = Glocks & S&W M&Ps because the striker is not actually cocked back until you pull the trigger.

Springfield xD pistols are considered as ESP because the striker is cocked back...

May have to try it if we aren't racing that day. I'll read the rulebook and see if my home-made moonclip holder is up to par, not that anyone at my club would probably care. Not like we are out there to win any money.

Now I'm confused Bob. I thought DA/SA was ESP since SSP is "double action, double action only or safe action" and ESP doesn't explicitly note action type except for mods excluding it from SSP.

Is "double action" supposed to read as DA/SA?

Yes. There is an exception, however. If the DA/SA gun weighs more than 39 oz (top limit for SSP) and less than 43 oz (top limit for ESP) it would have to compete in ESP. That was the niche I found myself in when I was using my Sig P226SL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How about the next week? SCFGPA will have its IDPA match on 6/17

I'll check on this, Bob. SCFGPA is indoor, right?

And your point is?

I guess Nick knows that I have younger kids and the wife will not be too happy if I don't spend the day with them. ;)

BTW, the first time (and last) I tried IDPA over 10 years ago, I was DQ'd on the first stage for "breaking" 180. The stage required that I carry a dummy while retreating from a target. The RO said that my strong hand holding my pistol swung back a bit and broke 180. I can remember the incident as if it happened recently. :(

BTW, the first time (and last) I tried IDPA over 10 years ago, I was DQ'd on the first stage for "breaking" 180. The stage required that I carry a dummy while retreating from a target. The RO said that my strong hand holding my pistol swung back a bit and broke 180. I can remember the incident as if it happened recently. :(

SCFGPA IDPA is indoors which leads to an explanation that they do not use a 180 degree rule. You must stay aimed at the backstop at all times, which is much tighter than the 180. There is usually an exaggerated show of keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, especially when moving sideways.

DQ'd didn't mean banned for life, right? Live, learn, stay safe... It's about time you got back on the horse.

I guess Nick knows that I have younger kids and the wife will not be too happy if I don't spend the day with them. ;)

Yes it is indoors. And what better way to spend Father's Day than having father do something he wants to do. This is his day - not the kids. May sound selfish, but the kids have you the balance of the year. Let your conscience be your guide.

SCFGPA is stricter than using the 180, since you are indoors. Muzzle always has to be within the limits of the backstop, horizontally and vertically. The RO will usually call "muzzle" and no other action will be taken provided you don't do it continuously.

I hope I can make it. Hope you can too, if that's what you want. Otherwise, enjoy the day with your kids.

Adios,

Pizza Bob