Sabeast

Kimber 1911 VS. Desert Eagle....

This is a real apples to oranges. Can't speak to what's "better", but I see the DE as pretty much useless except for making big noises and generating debilitating recoil. While I'm not a big fan of Kimber (personal bias), I'd take any 1911 over a DE.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Either a paper weight or a door stop if he gets the DE.

You know, I used to think that exact thing. And then I got a Desert Eagle in 44 magnum, and it's my favorite handgun (and I have a lot of very nice, expensive and commonly-beloved handguns). It has very low recoil, is extremely accurate, and just makes you grin when you shoot it.

Unlike most of my other recent purchases, it did take a few hundred rounds to smooth out, and unlike all my other handguns I actually clean and lube this one after each usage. Reloading 44 myself makes it affordable.

A long time ago I shot a DE in 50, and it sucked. I think the guy didn't maintain the gun, and maybe the 50 is just not as nice.

A Desert Eagle in 44 is a really fun gun.

However, I also wouldn't compare it to a 1911. I'd buy a nice 1911 first, and then when I got tired of it I'd pick up the DE.

-Dave

This is a real apples to oranges. Can't speak to what's "better", but I see the DE as pretty much useless except for making big noises and generating debilitating recoil. While I'm not a big fan of Kimber (personal bias), I'd take any 1911 over a DE.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The Desert Eagle.

The DE does make a lot of noise, but I found it very pleasant to shoot. The recoil was mild, even with stout loads. If it were a brand other than a Kimber, I would take the 1911.

Mostly home defense and some range use, what do you recommend?

Whatever fits in your hand, and you can shoot the best. A home defense gun isn't worth a damn if you can't shoot it well.

Why not Kimber? Which would you get?

Quite a few people knock Kimber for reliability issues. I cannot comment, as I have never owned one.

I think that you're trying to jump the gun, so to speak. You're skipping too many steps, thinking that there's a "best" option. There isn't, otherwise everyone would make THAT gun. There's many different platforms, made in different calibers, made by many different companies, and in many different price ranges. You need to narrow it down first before deciding what to get. Go see what fits your hand, and what you don't like. Many swear by Glock, others can't shoot them worth a damn. Some swear by Kimber, others despise the company. Determine what fits your hand comfortably, and what is in your price range. Then you can start figuring out what you might want to get.

. Why not Kimber? Which would you get?

VJF915 did a good job explaining. I have made a point to rely on the advice of people who know more than me. At that point I try something for myself and see if I agree. Kimber is probably the most polarizing brand out there. Some folks swear by them. Others think they are "all show and no go". I fall into that camp.

If you really decide that the 1911 is a platform that interests you, go check the two main 1911 forums. Be advised that some folks there won't say a good word about a gun that costs less than $2k. Others are happy to recommend a 1911 if it is good value for the money, even if it's a $600 gun. I look for quality construction, function, cost effectiveness, manufacturer customer service, and resale value. My Colt Series 70 is a compromise of all of them, with an emphasis on resale value since I tend to sell guns fairly often oif I get bored of them. :) Your criteria may differ.

Any link to that? I was really looking to only spend no more than $500,but can I get anything good a that?

Download the CDNN catalog. I believe they were having a sale on Taurus 1911s, and they are in your range. Also check out CenterfireSystems.com. There are several Rock Island Armory models that meet your criteria. Lastly, if you are willing to spend $100 more, you should check out the STI Spartan.

I deff want a .45! I can go to $800-1000 if need be.

Just a thought...

Remember that the cost of the gun is going to pale in comparison to the cost of 45ACP ammo. If this is a first gun, 9mm will get you twice as much shooting for the same money.

For hd NOT the desert eagle. I have big hands. The DE is about the right diameter, and I actually find the grip too short. I can reach all the controls with one hand. I can finally deactivate the safety with my shooting hand after cycling it hundreds of times to break it in. I'm 6'6" wear a size 12 glove and it's about 9" from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger, and about 10" from pinky tip to thumb tip when I spread out my fingers. Most folks can't do the above, and even though I can it is still too slow to operate and weighs a ton.

Other than fun, the only practical use of a DE is handgun hunting.

The Desert Eagle.

The DE does make a lot of noise, but I found it very pleasant to shoot. The recoil was mild, even with stout loads. If it were a brand other than a Kimber, I would take the 1911.

mild huh?

VQZGt.jpg

vWDyy.jpg

DE in .50

I guess 50AE is a whole other beast. I shot JonF's DE in 44Mag and found it to be a non-abusive gun. He had loaded up some full-strength loads too.

The 50 isn't that much different, but it's a little rougher. The guy in the picture has weak girly wrists (also, I hate shooting indoors, but shooting a 50DE indoors seems like asking for abuse). You need to load the 44M close to full-strength to get the action to work at its best. My lighter loads for my 44 revolver and 44 lever gun weren't up to the task at first.

Home defense?

12 g pump action

This is the best suggestion I've seen so far. You could get a great 12ga pump, a side saddle, magazine tube extension, quality ammo, and some birdshot to practice and become familiar with the shotgun, all for under $500 which is the OP's price range.