this_is_nascar

Need a New Washing Machine

Years ago, I'd just go to Sears and get a new washing machine. Unfortunately, today's Sears is not the Sears of yesteryear. Anyone have experience with getting appliances at Lowes or Home Depot? Are they just as good as getting it elsewhere? I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just an extra heavy-duty, dial operated washer with a few different cycles available.

Lowes not so much. Purchasing took a long time. I took the day off so I'd be there for delivery and installation and they never showed. When I called to find out whats up, I was told at they were there and no one answered. BS since I was home all day. So they "brought it back to the warehouse", earliest they could reschedule delivery was in two weeks. Canceled that order.

Went to Home Depot, the same washer $100 cheaper and had it installed in 2 days.

I've ordered from both home centers for several clients..never dissappointed..if it's in stock .the delivery/,install was painless..never more than 3-day wait...more than once they removed the front door (on apartments) to avoid possible damage..they used carry straps not hand trux...took the old unit and garbage with them...

I replaced my washing machine a couple of months ago, its a whole new ballgame. HE top load or front load . I went for the top load HE, however these machines make some of the strangest sounds you will ever hear. And the old school 20 minute wash cycle is now a hour. I purchased it from lowes and I installed it the same day. its a Maytag. shop around most places will price match.

I bought a dishwasher from Lowes, but I carted it out and installed it myself. I recently bought a clothes washer from PC Richards. The sales person was great, the price was right, and they delivered and installed it when promised -- actually a few hours earlier than I expected it and hauled off the old one. Keep in mind that most of the new washers don't have that agitator that we're used to. They are high-efficiency washers that take a special detergent. I found a Maytag for about $450 that had the agitator and most of the other features that the previous washer had.

I recently bought a clothes washer from PC Richards. The sales person was great, the price was right, and they delivered and installed it when promised -- actually a few hours earlier than I expected it and hauled off the old one.

Same here, also they matched price of competitor, minus a few % tax because I bought from the one in Carteret.

I bought a dishwasher from Lowes, but I carted it out and installed it myself. I recently bought a clothes washer from PC Richards. The sales person was great, the price was right, and they delivered and installed it when promised -- actually a few hours earlier than I expected it and hauled off the old one. Keep in mind that most of the new washers don't have that agitator that we're used to. They are high-efficiency washers that take a special detergent./b] I found a Maytag for about $450 that had the agitator and most of the other features that the previous washer had.

Well, that sucks. There's (3) things you need in a washing machine to clean clothes.

#1 - Water.

#2 - Soap.

#3 - Agitation.

If you take any of those away, you've lost your ability to properly clean your clothes. I don't care about energy efficiency for my washer. I want agitation and lots of water, with the ability to use whatever soap I want. I can see this is going to be a mess trying to find what I want. Thanks for the heads-up.

:) The machine I have has no agitator, and it cleans clothes better that my old one with a agitator.

With all due respect, I'd have to see it, to believe it. Like I said, in my opinion, you take any of those three componants out of the mix and you lose cleaning power.

Stay away from Cabrio by Whirlpool.

Get as few features that you can live without. If you can find one with the knob for control, get it. This is from an appliance repair company I have worked with. Wish I would have listened

With all due respect, I'd have to see it, to believe it. Like I said, in my opinion, you take any of those three componants out of the mix and you lose cleaning power.

Too much agitation wears out your clothes. 10 years ago the detergent for high efficiency machines was harder to find in the stores. Now, it's very easy. My wife is liking the Tide Pods and they're easy to find. Our clothes come out clean but they don't get that dirty. Don't know how good the machine would work on heavily soiled clothes. You can fit a lot more in the machine without an agitator taking up a lot of room.

I bought a dishwasher from Lowes, but I carted it out and installed it myself. I recently bought a clothes washer from PC Richards. The sales person was great, the price was right, and they delivered and installed it when promised -- actually a few hours earlier than I expected it and hauled off the old one. Keep in mind that most of the new washers don't have that agitator that we're used to. They are high-efficiency washers that take a special detergent. I found a Maytag for about $450 that had the agitator and most of the other features that the previous washer had.

PC Richards has good sales and service. I've bought washer/dryer and TV's over the last few years from them. Look for the sales. The new high efficiency washers do work good without the agitators. They use less water/detergent and are easier on cloths. Most units are high efficiency now.

Once upon a time people thought the world was flat :) lol

I'm a person of common sense and experience, with a touch of be analytical as well. As I've mentioned before, you need those (3) components to get clothes clean. Take any one away or reduce the amount of either and you're not getting full efficiency getting the job done. In this case, cleaning clothes. Different strokes for different folks, but I know what I want.

Well... my high efficiency front-loading washer without agitator removes large amounts of blood from my clothes using bargain buy detergent without issue every winter, so I doubt you will have an issue.

So, I went to Sears, Best Buy and Home Depot last night. I can't believe what they've done to something as simple as a friggin' washing machine. I've never seen so much over-engineering for something as simple as a concept as washing clothes. We did end up seeing a washer/dryer set at Sears that "will due", that has both the old-school agitator, WITHOUT all this crap about determining its own water level, using a specific detergent, etc. I was somewhat shock by the price of mid to high four hundred for each piece. Eight to ten years ago, we paid $325 and $350 for what we have now. We didn't purchase this set as of yet, since I want to shop at a couple more places. The maker's name escapes me, but it was a name-brand. I just had to look at this new-fangled, digital, top-of-line washers. They had one for $1700. Can you believe that? Even if I had that coin, I can't imagine myself ever spending that much for something that 1) gets your clothes wet, 2) agitates them with detergent, 3) rinses out the detergent and 4) spins the excess water from them. That's all a washing machine does. What a racket this is.

I have a new front-load high efficiency washer and dryer and the washer has no agitator and it cleans better than my old one that did, don't believe me, come wash some clothes at my place and you will see. :icon_mrgreen:

I might add the cost of operations is (don't quote me on this) but probably 1/5th the cost of my old one..

Well... my high efficiency front-loading washer without agitator removes large amounts of blood from my clothes using bargain buy detergent without issue every winter, so I doubt you will have an issue.

Jon, you weren't supposed to tell that story.. ROFLMAO...

So, I went to Sears, Best Buy and Home Depot last night. I can't believe what they've done to something as simple as a friggin' washing machine. I've never seen so much over-engineering for something as simple as a concept as washing clothes. We did end up seeing a washer/dryer set at Sears that "will due", that has both the old-school agitator, WITHOUT all this crap about determining its own water level, using a specific detergent, etc. I was somewhat shock by the price of mid to high four hundred for each piece. Eight to ten years ago, we paid $325 and $350 for what we have now. We didn't purchase this set as of yet, since I want to shop at a couple more places. The maker's name escapes me, but it was a name-brand. I just had to look at this new-fangled, digital, top-of-line washers. They had one for $1700. Can you believe that? Even if I had that coin, I can't imagine myself ever spending that much for something that 1) gets your clothes wet, 2) agitates them with detergent, 3) rinses out the detergent and 4) spins the excess water from them. That's all a washing machine does. What a racket this is.

Like a lot of us said it's a different world and they really do work. Another thing I touched in the other post was cost of operation. To put it another way, the old style washer and dryer combos probably cost you $1.00 load when you factor in Gas, Water, and Electric, vs, something like $.20 a load. I know in my house I do a load of wash a day on average, so that would be $7.00 a week, vs. 1.40 a week. Now take a look at that per year, $356.00 a year vs. 72.80, only a savings of 292.20 a year, figure 10 years of life or better but lets just say 10 years and the new ones would have saved you $2922.00, that does more than justify the cost of the newer style machines.

Keep in mind I am basing this on an older style washer and dryer vs new style and just estimating cost's. I don't have data to back it up, but it's was just to show the overall cost of one style vs the other.

I have a new front-load high efficiency washer and dryer and the washer has no agitator and it cleans better than my old one that did, don't believe me, come wash some clothes at my place and you will see. :icon_mrgreen:

I might add the cost of operations is (don't quote me on this) but probably 1/5th the cost of my old one..

I may just have to do that.

Well, I've spent the last few hours doing some research. I think rather than dropping ~$500 for new washing machine, I'm going to attempt a repair to my current Kenmore Model #11022952100. Everything I've read and viewed leads me to a clutch issue with the machine. I can get a replacement clutch kit for less than $50 shipped and even with my non-mechanical skills should be able to knock this off in a couple of hours. I'll spend more time getting the washer to an open spot on the floor to lay it on its side than I will for the actual repair. Worse case, I screw something up beyond repair that forces me to buy a new one anyway. I should have the parts in a couple days.