Old Glock guy

Shoot NJ Home Defense Shotgun

I've become enamored with the shotgun as my primary HD weapon, so I was thinking of taking this class:

http://shootnj.com/shotgunHP.html

Has anyone here taken it that can offer any comments? Or is anyone familiar with Shoot NJ in general?

I should mention that I've previously taken SG classes at GFH and MDTS.

I've taken a few pistol courses with them, not the shotgun course, think you'll like it. The instructors I met were all knowledgeable, friendly and safe. Were attentive, answered any question and seemed really prepared to help new folks. I have taken 2 shotgun courses at Gun For Hire and loved both of them. I suspect for my future courses though I'll be going with GFH exclusively - for me, I found GFH staff to be far more responsive to questions before and after the training sessions (via email, etc). For both classes I took with SNJ, we didn't get confirmations until night before, directions to which range (they now have their own), etc - for me I prefer the way GFH does business, although they are a little more expensive. I also didn't love the training sessions at Ft Dix, with cease fires every 20 minutes interrupting the momentum.

I've become enamored with the shotgun as my primary HD weapon, so I was thinking of taking this class:

http://shootnj.com/shotgunHP.html

Has anyone here taken it that can offer any comments? Or is anyone familiar with Shoot NJ in general?

I should mention that I've previously taken SG classes at GFH and MDTS.

If you already went through the Tactical Shotgun Course with MTDS you may not need any other class on a shotty. You're already an Urban Commando, lol!

Seriously, give me a PM so I can get your number to call you and fill you in. I helped to DESIGN the class you're talking about!

Dave

Dave "I helped to DESIGN the class you're talking about!" no he did not. The "Dry Run" setup class he attended was three years ago, he did not run it, nor was he an instructor. He is not currently one of our instructors and is not certified by the NRA to teach any Personal Protection classes. I'm not sure where his tactical experience comes from, I know it's not LE or Military.

As far as cease fires we have the luxury to call them when we are at our range. I agree Fort Dix's cease fires can be a little much, that is why advanced classes are taught at our private range, ten min away from Fort Dix.

Directions to Fort Dix range #14 are on every class page of our site. Fort Dix is military run and if the Military or NJ Hunter Ed want's to use it we get bumped. A couple months ago we were not sure if we were getting bumped until the last minute, that has only happened twice in five years.

Anthony is a good guy (GFH) has some good classes!

Chet

Dave "I helped to DESIGN the class you're talking about!" no he did not. The "Dry Run" setup class he attended was three years ago, he did not run it, nor was he an instructor. He is not currently one of our instructors and is not certified by the NRA to teach any Personal Protection classes. I'm not sure where his tactical experience comes from, I know it's not LE or Military.

As far as cease fires we have the luxury to call them when we are at our range. I agree Fort Dix's cease fires can be a little much, that is why advanced classes are taught at our private range, ten min away from Fort Dix.

Directions to Fort Dix range #14 are on every class page of our site. Fort Dix is military run and if the Military or NJ Hunter Ed want's to use it we get bumped. A couple months ago we were not sure if we were getting bumped until the last minute, that has only happened twice in five years.

Chet

"Some good classes" ? Chet. WTF. Lmfao.

Just to clarify my previous comments. Yes, directions to Ft Dix are prominently displayed as Chet mentioned. Did not intend to send incorrect message. However directions to the new range are not posted on the site....or were not when I took the intermediate pistol class a few months back. I sent several emails asking for directions and got no response...which is really what caused my concern. Even if i had received a 'hey we are working on it' email id have been happy. We were emailed the night before the class had been relocated to Ft Dix....and that pistol class would be on the rifle range. So my concern was clearly more administrative/response based. By contrast GFH staff have always been available via email offered equipment suggestions, etc. The Shoot NJ classes i took were both fun and educational (I also took NRA basic pistol there) and the instructors Dawn, Dianne and the others were attentive, answered any questions and made it very enjoyable. I don't think you'd be unhappy with the classes.

Chet

Chet,

Yes it was a long time ago. I remember donating the use of one of my static steel targets, being videotaped for your website to promote the classes, giving some suggestions to "tweak" the uncharted material from a student's/participant's perspective (that were adopted by the way) per your and Cameron's request, providing a half-case of 12 ga. at my own expense and donating my 1/2 day in almost 90* heat to do it. No offense meant, but I don't consider all of THAT WORK for your company to be of no value. Nor do I consider it a "stretch" to say that I HELPED to design the as-of-then unknown, unpublished and un-tried shotgun class. So YES, I did in fact help! You and Cameron designed it, R-O'd it, and videotaped it. You also graciously supplied an entire case of ice-cold bottled water and took us all out to lunch afterwords.

I didn't mean to get anybody's panties in a twist. I think that anyone who went through the MDTS Class shooting a case of 12 ga. in a single outing needs some work hitting a moving target. That's what I suggested to the man, since not every Perp stands still when they're pointing a gun at you. I am NOT inferring that I have any ratings in Personal Protection. I DO however have personal experience defending my home and family with my 12 ga. without firing a shot!

Have a nice day and please remember that I'm still waiting for your call to help teach Black Powder. The warmer weather is here.......

Dave

Again, there were two NRA Personal Protection Instructors (PPIH 11 hours and PPOH 30 hours, Cameron and myself) that used the NRA's course of fire (a long established and well proven course) in addition to Cameron's decades of experience as a professional teacher and 3 gun, IDPA etc competition combined with my experience as a member of a Military Police SRT team. We added to the existing NRA information as a base for a Shotgun Home Defense course. It was submitted to my insurance company and approved under my companies list of courses. There was no tweaking, it was a dry run, with you and John for logistical info as we had done with every course we ran including all NRA courses.

I know where the course originated, and I'm aware of your and Cameron's credentials. Your response appears to be written to an audience.

As I remember there was indeed some light tweaking. It was a long time ago, so I'm not prepared to quote chapter and verse, but I do remember some issues with trying to hold a shotgun and use a phone to call Police, pick-up a child (doll) without sweeping said child, and how and when to let go with a round of suppressive fire if you're out in the open and the Perp is crouched-down alongside a mattress pointing his gun at you, etc. So, during this "Dry Run" as I was HELPING to make sure that the lesson plan didn't have any kinks in it, you and Cameron were adapting to any current needs as they presented themselves. Again, I'm giving full credit to you and Cameron for designing the course. On the same token, do you (or anyone else that's reading this that knows me) think for one split second that someone with over 40 years experience behind guns would not have anything to say during a half-day long "ironing-out" or "Dry-Run" of a never-before published or taught COF? Really??

With all that being said, I'm also a competitor in several firearms disciplines (and you KNOW this): USPSA, IDPA, Shotgun, Sporting Clays, Static Steel, PPC (Chairman) and the best over-all (rifle-pistol-shotgun) black powder competitor at Old Bridge.

Tomato, tamato, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. The word "help" is starting to look like Clinton's definition of "is".......

No need to continue this pissing contest! Oh, and by the way, you're welcome!