Marc

Belt Fed Rifles

Does anyone know what the deal is with semi-auto belt feds and the NJ AWB evil features count? I have seen semi-auto MG42s and a Springfield Armory SA1 in the state with pistol grips and flash hiders so I've always assumed if the gun can't physically accept a detachable magazine that the evil features count was a moot point? Anyone ever researched it? Do they consider the belt the magazine or the container the belt is in to be the magazine? My head hurts sometimes trying to make sense of this BS.

I got my MG-42 from Henderson defense which made it NJ legal by basically filling the flash hider with a piece of metal. It is a cone with a hole in it pretty much, just for looks. I am offshore right now so I cant get any pics of it but it was converted to be legal in NJ

287iyrr.jpg

Did someone say "belt fed"??

Kind of a hybrid. Mk46 Mod1 receiver with a 20" M249 barrel. This is one of the Great Machine builds which use modified HK G3 trigger packs. It's a title one firearm as it fires from a closed bolt however I did drop a post-sample G3 trigger pack in it so it's capable of full auto as all the internals are full auto parts.

287iyrr.jpg

Did someone say "belt fed"??

Kind of a hybrid. Mk46 Mod1 receiver with a 20" M249 barrel. This is one of the Great Machine builds which use modified HK G3 trigger packs. It's a title one firearm as it fires from a closed bolt however I did drop a post-sample G3 trigger pack in it so it's capable of full auto as all the internals are full auto parts.

Ummm, I don't think I'm going to be able to stand up for awhile.....that's gorgeous!

So, 15rd. is the cutoff for belts? and as long as the rest of the gun is compliant it's good to go?

No, it's not, IMHO.  Those posters that think this is true, please post any kind of legal reference, Nappen article, AG letter, etc.

The law states, "a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm."

Do you think that it's legal to OWN more than 14 links?  How is that different than having 100 links?  How is that different than having 100 links linked up?

However, in the definition of a machine gun, the law mentions belt-fed guns, so they aren't ignoring belt fed in the magazine definition for semi-auto guns, just not listing it.

I'm not saying you might not get arrested, but you'd eventually get off.

How are you telling me closed bolt is going to run FA? Wouldn't that be a really custom job? And certainly not something produced as a Title I firearm. The design is OB FA.

Unless this thing is completely different from what I carried back in the day. Maybe I've missed some stuff :)

How are you telling me closed bolt is going to run FA? Wouldn't that be a really custom job? And certainly not something produced as a Title I firearm. The design is OB FA. Unless this thing is completely different from what I carried back in the day. Maybe I've missed some stuff :)

Not a custom job at all. There're a couple places making Mk46s and Mk48s using this design. It's similar but different to what is fielded to the military. The FCG is from an HK G3 and this fires from the closed bolt position, not the open bolt. If you'll recall, the M249/Mk46s that are fielded to the military en masse have their operating rod and spring removed from the rear. This design uses a captured op rod and spring assembly at the front, housed inside the gas tube and screwed into the front of the carrier. These closed bolt guns are sold with semi-auto trigger packs, making them title one firearms. I as an SOT manufactured a post sample G3 trigger pack that I dropped in place of the semi-auto pack. Since the rest of the gun was setup to run full auto, the trigger pack swap is all that's needed to enable it.

Thanks, Midwest PX. Yes, it is custom, obviously a closed-bolt M249 is custom. The point I was missing is that this is the first OB made into a closed bolt that uses a FA capable hammer and fire control system. That is extremely unusual. Usually OB is made CB simply for the purpose of getting a semi on the market and who would have expected an FN to have an HK fire control system. I speculate it was designed that way on purpose.

I actually wouldn’t want one for the money, having an M16 and a sear in hand. For the extra money, I’d rather have an HK-51 or a Shrike after the happy part is paid for. M249 is a fine weapon but just not a fan.

That being said, can a non-SOT use a Fleming Sear and a trigger pack on this thing?

Thanks, Midwest PX. Yes, it is custom, obviously a closed-bolt M249 is custom. The point I was missing is that this is the first OB made into a closed bolt that uses a FA capable hammer and fire control system. That is extremely unusual. Usually OB is made CB simply for the purpose of getting a semi on the market and who would have expected an FN to have an HK fire control system. I speculate it was designed that way on purpose.

I actually wouldn’t want one for the money, having an M16 and a sear in hand. For the extra money, I’d rather have an HK-51 or a Shrike after the happy part is paid for. M249 is a fine weapon but just not a fan.

That being said, can a non-SOT use a Fleming Sear and a trigger pack on this thing?

There are at least two companies I can think of who "mass" produce these closed bolt designs which is why I don't think of them as custom jobs. We might have different definitions.

Yes, a non-SOT may legally use a registered sear/pack to make this a full-auto closed bolt gun.

There are at least two companies I can think of who "mass" produce these closed bolt designs which is why I don't think of them as custom jobs. We might have different definitions.

Yes, a non-SOT may legally use a registered sear/pack to make this a full-auto closed bolt gun.

Well, then the price of transferable SAWs just dropped about $50,000 and the price of sears just went up $10,000 ;)

Are you including Ohio Ordnance in that count? I don't know how they make theirs. Who are the two companies?

Seriously - Do you know a non-SOT that put an HK sear in one of these? Reason I ask is because of numerous examples, but one of particular relevance - FN FNC sear. These sears cannot be used in FN SCAR. And FN sear cannot be used in an FN rifle. So that is why I'm asking twice about using an HK rifle sear(registered/transferable) in an FN LMG.

BTW, thanks again! Looking forward to your confirmation, but very interesting nonetheless!

The two I know of are Machine Gun Armory and Great Machine. I don't know if Ohio Ordnance works on the M249/Mk46 family though.

MGA has verbage on their site regarding using registered sears to make their semi-auto closed bolt M249/Mk46/Mk48s legally run full auto. I think the difference is the MGA/GM closed bolt M249/Mk46/Mk48s were designed around the HK trigger pack whereas the original FN design was not. Because it's designed around the HK trigger pack, it's legal to install a full auto HK pack (either a post sample or registered one) using the same logic as moving a post sample or registered pack from one HK host to another. Correct me if I'm wrong but in your example, the FNC sear was not designed for the SCAR or any other FN rifle which is why it wouldn't be legal to drop into the named hosts.

I'm actually not sure that logic follows, because of all the inconsistent examples. Entire fire control systems have been added to different weapons before and denied by ATF, so it's not a matter of a sear being designed for a fire control system from what I can tell. And it gets very complicated from there as you know. But, no, I'm certainly not going to correct you for the same reason :) Way more experienced people than me can't figure it out, and when they do, they sometimes get slapped later.

I can't believe I wasn't aware of this. That is very, very interesting, thanks for the information and pics.

Wow, they have them in 7.62. Have you fired that? How was it? They don't sell them stand alone, though, you have to buy both cals for $13K. Hmmm... I wish I had my XMG34 before the ATF killed it :|

Nope, haven't shot a Mk48 yet but am considering picking up an open bolt version. The thought of feeding has me on the fence though.

24cxog1.jpg

Open bolt Mk46 Mod1 with a temporary M249 top cover. A railed top cover is in the works so the ACOG I bought for it back in February can be used. We ran a 200 round belt through it this weekend and did this to a virgin 762SDN6 can:

21b99nq.jpg

The Cerakote finish was burned off and by the end, the end cap had a small fire going. Once I get it off my phone, I'll upload the video of it but it ran like a sewing machine.